Author Topic: Fireball ign system  (Read 756 times)

Offline China twin 88

• Site Supporter
Fireball ign system
« on: Friday, November 01, 2013. 02:41:41 AM. »
Recently my bike (2002 twin cam 88 standard) has been almost impossible to start with backfiring, mostly when cold but when the engine warms up .. no problem with start and also runs good.....I have been told that (that's why i want to check it out here) Fireball does act up this way when going bad....pulled the plugs today and the front one was white and the rear plug was slightly "soot" black....Bike/Battery is charging ok, just the plugs and the starting problem has me concerned.. so I have parked the bike til I can give it a once over.. but any ideas could help...I have considered the Fireball ignition system ...it has a new coil, flywheel sensor, and carb....anything I am overlooking or any advice.
LMMC/LAMF

Offline Hillsidecyclecom

• Retired
  • Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
Re: Fireball ign system
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 01, 2013. 05:42:37 AM. »
Check the cps.
Scott
"If I parrot or google information, folks will suspect I really know."

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 01, 2013. 08:08:56 AM. »
Sounds like you replace the CPS already... Another thing that can cause poor starting is the map sensor.  Many times when they fail, the output on the map goes to 4.5 volts and stays there. 4.5V = 30 in/HG which is atmospheric pressure.  The ignition module will sample this on start and think that all is OK. The problem is that the module will be forced to run the slow timing curve. This can cause poor starting when the motor is cold. It also causes loss of gas mileage, a sluggish feeling motor and sometimes coughing through the intake system.

You should check compression.. Also find an old set of plugs and set the gap to 3mm.. With plugs still in the heads, connect the plug wires to the modified plugs and ground them to the head.. You should be able to a consistent spark while cranking..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline Hillsidecyclecom

• Retired
  • Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 01, 2013. 08:46:37 AM. »
Missed that you replaced that sensor..........
Scott
"If I parrot or google information, folks will suspect I really know."

Offline BUBBIE

• Site Supporter
  • 09 FLHR KING / 06 sport 1200 R
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 01, 2013. 08:56:17 AM. »
 :idea:

Isn't this unit the one with the Multi Spark and a switch to turn it off to single spark... Long ago I had a problem with the Fireball unit (IF the same) and had to change it back to single spark to work properly...

Dis-reguard IF this does Not fit your unit.  :slap:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Offline China twin 88

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 01, 2013. 06:55:57 PM. »
thanks for the info....I mis typed on the sensor....is the white colored spark plug in the front cyclinder and the black one in the rear indicate anything except the front running lean and the rear running slightly rich....... here in China parts are hard to come by so trying to source is difficult.....
LMMC/LAMF

Offline 1sg

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013. 04:25:58 AM. »
I have the exact problem as you, Ive called crane and they say try this,now try this, now try this, they dont know.
  But here is what I know, if you go under 10 volts when cranking the motor, my 03 roadking will have the problem, so Iaways keep it on a tender. I've been dealing with this a few years now and when my battery gets 2yrs+ old the problem comes back,so then I keep it on a tender all the time until I get a new battery.

Offline China twin 88

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 14, 2013. 08:33:48 PM. »
Every thing looks pretty good but the HARLEY DAVIDSON HDI security turn signal module (68924-00a)...and since I haven't had much experience with the Twin Cam electrics.... and these are impossible to find in China... and seem to be rare on Ebay as well ...it might behoove me to a few questions...

are these units usually sold with F.O.B.s?...

if you buy one without ?... can u buy a FOB (is that the right word) separate and then match it to the unit.

Do u need a FOB?.. say I buy a module unit without a FOB.... is there a problem with that....

Are they regional specific? 

LMMC/LAMF

Offline 88b

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 14, 2013. 11:57:49 PM. »
Clay they are regional specific ie US and HDI ( international ) I believe they work on a different frequency. The system can be set up to auto arm or manual set up. I run mine on manual so I have to arm it as in the UK cell phone masts can stop you unlocking it.

Offline China twin 88

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 15, 2013. 03:00:38 AM. »
thanks just what I needed to know
LMMC/LAMF