Author Topic: Mikuni - Anyone use the Mikuni Intake manifold with their Mik carb? Feedback?  (Read 702 times)

Offline V24me

Hi all,
I know you can use the stock intake, but has anyone put the Mikuni intake on?  Notice any fitment issues?  Any performance gains?

ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Offline John/1

Re: Mikuni - Anyone use the Mikuni Intake manifold with their Mik carb? Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013. 07:30:38 PM. »
Hi
I put one on my 88" have not used it yet did have to trim Finn on front head with a file.I used there intake.There intake is oval at the carb.I did used some rough emery 100 grit to remove bumps,casting lines,washed it well with soap and hot water.Had problem with there choke cable would not detent and click.So I used cable off cv but be sure to use cv plunger needle and spring in Mikuni.

Offline V24me

Re: Mikuni - Anyone use the Mikuni Intake manifold with their Mik carb? Feedback?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013. 10:05:23 PM. »
Thanks John.  I actually have the carb on with the stock intake.  I'm thinking about replacing the stock intake with the mikuni one and the pics look kinda weird with a seal that looks like it bolts on (top and bottom) to the intake and then the carb slides in the seal with a hose clamp over that junction.  Seems odd, and wondering if anyone has noticed an performance gains or trouble with fit or leaks. 

Online ViennaHog

• Site Supporter
    • American Iron Vienna
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013. 10:57:17 PM. »
Not worth the effort IMHO
2014 FLHTK charcoal gray&vivid black
SE FatShotz

Offline prodrag1320

• AHDRA & AMRA national champion & record holder
    • vee twin racing
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 04:07:29 AM. »
 :agree:

on bigger inch builds,with either 45mm or 48mm,we use S&S manifolds with the 1.760 runners.but for 42mm,stock like builds,just use the HD manifold
www.veetwinperformance.com
NITRO P/D HARLEY 7.14 @ 189/4.49 @ 167

Online Tattoo

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 04:48:50 AM. »
I have used all size Mikuni's over the years and the HD manifold will work fine with the 42 & 45
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 05:24:52 AM. »
Thanks John.  I actually have the carb on with the stock intake.  I'm thinking about replacing the stock intake with the mikuni one and the pics look kinda weird with a seal that looks like it bolts on (top and bottom) to the intake and then the carb slides in the seal with a hose clamp over that junction.  Seems odd, and wondering if anyone has noticed an performance gains or trouble with fit or leaks.

The Mikuni version is more of an adapter to attach their carb to the bike than it is a performance manifold. The last version of the twincam carb manifold for the 42 or the screamin eagle for the 45 is as good a set up as any performance wise.

Online BUBBIE

• Site Supporter
  • 09 FLHR KING / 06 sport 1200 R
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 08:34:01 AM. »
Max answered this  a while back... My remembering back on this issue; ......on my TC when using a 42 mikuni, Main reason for using the Manifold was to space Out from the fins. Thinking they also said something about improved performance also.

I do remember My 42 was sucking air around the manifold intake because of the poor fitment when using the stock HD manifold....

Here is Max's post....

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,54533.0.html
Re: Mikuni HSR 42 Spacing
Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012. 10:06:45 PM.

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Offline prodrag1320

• AHDRA & AMRA national champion & record holder
    • vee twin racing
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 08:45:05 AM. »
I have used all size Mikuni's over the years and the HD manifold will work fine with the 42 & 45

yes it work fine,but on more aggressive,higher RPM builds,the S&S manifold allows you to open the ports to 1.760(with matching headwork,of coarse)
www.veetwinperformance.com
NITRO P/D HARLEY 7.14 @ 189/4.49 @ 167

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 08:58:24 AM. »
Here is Max's post....

Only parroting what someone else had mentioned.. Don't know for sure..

The Se mainfold is little flow limited with the 45.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I've not done a mik manifold but wouldn't expect to net much more than the SE.. If you look at the table with the 42, the SE didn't do much..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 03:31:02 PM. »
Here is Max's post....

Only parroting what someone else had mentioned.. Don't know for sure..

The Se mainfold is little flow limited with the 45.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I've not done a mik manifold but wouldn't expect to net much more than the SE.. If you look at the table with the 42, the SE didn't do much..

Max

Mik manifolds don't flow well at all  :banghead:, unless welded up, and reworked at the turns.
John

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 03:47:16 PM. »

Mik manifolds don't flow well at all  :banghead:, unless welded up, and reworked at the turns.
John

Inside turns too sharp?

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline V24me

« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 21, 2013. 09:33:26 PM. »

John
[/quote]

That's what it looked like to me.  It almost looks more like a T than the shape of a better flowing Y shape.

Thanks for the info guys!  I think I'll stick with the stock manifold for the 42.

Online Tattoo

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013. 03:24:37 AM. »

yes it work fine,but on more aggressive,higher RPM builds,the S&S manifold allows you to open the ports to 1.760(with matching headwork,of coarse)

that's why on my build I run the S&S manifold with the raceback...
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"