Author Topic: 2014 Batwing Retro Fit  (Read 2143 times)

Offline RideFree

2014 Batwing Retro Fit
« on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 06:56:29 PM. »
Started this thread for any information on retrofitting the new 2014 Batwing on earlier Batwing model HD's such as a 2012 FLHX for example. I am going to the local HD dealer in the next couple of days and will be asking both the service and parts guys about it. If parts has one, I will see if I can take pictures of the mounting points with a tape measure to compare those points and any depth. If they have one I may take mine off and take it down to compare. Best case if I could ride my FLHX down there and try to put one on, not sure if that will fly though.

Online joe_lyons

• Administrator
Re: 2014 Batwing Retro Fit
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 07:09:04 PM. »
You would prob be better off doing a whole front end.  The new fairing is way different.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. E.K.

Offline RideFree

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 07:31:26 PM. »
You would prob be better off doing a whole front end.  The new fairing is way different.
Expound on way different with specifics please other than the obvious externally visible differences. Thanks

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 07:32:55 PM. »
The inner and outer is different, the radio, gauges and wiring is different.

Cheaper to trade your 1012 on a 2014!!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline harleyjt

• Site Supporter
  • North MS, just south of Memphrica
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 07:34:31 PM. »
The inner and outer is different, the radio, gauges and wiring is different.

Cheaper to trade your 1012 on a 2014!!

:agree:

Like anything, if money is no object, go ahead and try to make the change.  In the end, I suspect you would spend nearly as much to make the change over as you would just trading bikes.
jt
2014 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Blackened Cayenne

Offline RideFree

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 07:52:12 PM. »
The HD dealer probably wants at least $3000 on any deal. It would be way cheaper to put the front part of the batwing on it, if it can be. The inner gauges and such differences are all externally visible differences and may not matter. It may not matter what is inside if the front mounts and fits around it all. There is the possibility that HD spent all its design money in the wind tunnel and left the attachment points and external circumference shape and area inside the same. Don't know yet as only measurements will tell, not guessing.

Offline RideFree

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 07:58:06 PM. »
I just realized, I should probably clarify. What I am referring to is the front batwing retro fit only for less buffeting. Not changing the inner or gauges or boom screen, nothing else but the front part. To change it all electrical components and such would definitely be cheaper to get a 2014 model.

Offline harleyjt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 09, 2013. 08:18:11 PM. »
I'm positive the new outer fairing won't mate up to the old inner fairing.  Its dimensionally different.  Also, the vent involves both the inner and the outer fairing. 
jt

Offline PC_Hater

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 02:16:10 AM. »
Both the inner fairing and the outer fairing are made of some sort of 'plastic' or maybe a composite material such as glass fibre.
The short answer is yes, it can be done - as Easy Ricer says "it is made of metal in can be fixed", except in this case you need someone who knows materials science who can help with what glues or other methods can be used to fasten assorted brackets to the items to be screwed together.
And  it sounds as though you will have to cut the inner fairing to make the clever vent system work.

Would persuading the inner fairing and outer fairing to fit your bike be easier?
If you still have hair don't be surprised if you end up tearing most of it out trying to do it!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTRI, 2000 1200S

Offline moose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 04:01:53 AM. »
you might be better off finding a good glass person and have them fabricate a modification of your faring some of the vette guys and boat guys can do miracles
Moose aka Glenn at the New Jersey Shore

Online easyricer

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 05:05:49 AM. »
I would imagine that the best way to fit them up would be to buy the inner and outer shells and install your gauges. The radio would present a challenge but you can probably work around that with a little fiberglass and filler. I saw a 2014 outer shell on Ebay but couldn't find an inner. Looking at the pics, they are very different from the older ones. The vent would not be so hard to install on what you currently have with a little imagination. The plastic fairings can be molded with a heatgun and some wooden blocks to get the shape you want. There are body fillers on the market designed for plastic to smooth things out and make it look good.
Your only limit is your imagination.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Offline runamuck

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 06:05:40 AM. »
might be better off just getting new bike. altho the parts can probably had to make the change it would be pricey. there is a guy in my usual riding group that buys a new streetglide every few years and then sets about getting together a tourpak..costs him nearly 3000 because you have to buy so many pricey fittings and hardware and seatback etc. to get the whole thing finished out. there are always a few in the group who chuckle and ask how come he  just doesnt buy an e-glide and get detach hardware for the tourpak, a short windshield and pull off the saddlebag guards..

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 06:29:25 AM. »
like stated above,, i'm sure it "could" be done, but it's sorta like adding ABS to a non-abs bike,, waaayyy too much $$ to justify it,,, unless you're one of those "i like the challenge" people,,

Offline Garry in AZ

• 500,000 miles and counting...
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 06:50:04 AM. »
Okay, I have had the new one apart, and I can tell you for sure that the new outer fairing will not bolt up to the old inner fairing. The bolt locations are different, the shape of where the two parts meet is different, and as others have said, the new vent system is a integral part of both the inner and outer fairings.
You might be able to adapt the entire new batwing, (inner and outer, with gauges and new radio) to an older bike, but I would expect the parts to cost several thousand dollars. Everything inside the new fairing is different, the speakers are now in molded enclosures, the radio mounts differently, everything is different, including the wiring harnesses.
I agree with those who have suggested that a trade in makes more sense. Maybe save a few bucks with a trade in on a used 2014 model next spring?
I know it could be done with an unlimited budget, but I don't think it could be done cheaper than just trading in the 2012.

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

Offline runamuck

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 11:05:29 AM. »
I'd rather put the old style on a '14. I dont like having that air slot right where I like to have my windshield bag.

Offline harpwrench

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 11:10:18 AM. »
I've never noticed my batwing bikes buffeting, is it from running too short a windshield or what?

Offline Deye76

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 11:15:22 AM. »
Not gonna happen, the vent is part of the inner. Gauge & radio placement way different.
East Tenn.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 12:02:24 PM. »
I'd rather put the old style on a '14. I dont like having that air slot right where I like to have my windshield bag.

HD has a windshield pouch to fit the '14s.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 12:06:25 PM. »
I just realized, I should probably clarify. What I am referring to is the front batwing retro fit only for less buffeting. Not changing the inner or gauges or boom screen, nothing else but the front part. To change it all electrical components and such would definitely be cheaper to get a 2014 model.
The less buffeting is do to the vent so even if the outer will bolt up to an old inner fairing you would need to cobble up a vent passage in the inner fairing.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 06:32:44 PM. by PoorUB »

Offline RideFree

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 12:43:39 PM. »
I just returned from the HD dealer and I agree the new batwing is shaped differently enough that it will not bolt on a previous model. One thing interesting the dealer told me was that they make a vented windshield for the road glide. Anyone hear of that? It would seem that a vent in the windshield could do the same thing as the vent in the batwing itself possibly. The goal being to use HD's method or similar of reducing buffeting. Thanks for all the responses. Alot of good information to work with.

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 12:50:10 PM. »
also i'm thinking if you give the aftermarket a few months they will have something simular to sell..

Offline RideFree

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 12:53:28 PM. »
I've never noticed my batwing bikes buffeting, is it from running too short a windshield or what?

I think so there's no buffeting when your nearly directly in the wind at my 6 0 hieght as it just blows. I don't have any fairings on 2 other bikes but I dress for wind on those. I have about 6 different windsheilds I have played with and the 8 inch clockwerks is the least buffeting but still does. I think it is the air from the top corners wrapping around to hit the side of your head in essence. So with a short windshield the top corners are lower and the buffeting may be occurring on you shoulders instead of your ears.

Offline harleyjt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 01:07:31 PM. »

:agree:

Same here. 
jt

Offline Leed

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 01:15:04 PM. »
You could also but a Clearview shield with a built in vent.  Or just install a Gold Wing vent in your shield.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/harley-davidson/street-glide-1996-to-present/

Offline q1svt

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013. 02:32:53 PM. »
I think so there's no buffeting when your nearly directly in the wind at my 6 0 hieght as it just blows. I don't have any fairings on 2 other bikes but I dress for wind on those. I have about 6 different windsheilds I have played with and the 8 inch clockwerks is the least buffeting but still does. I think it is the air from the top corners wrapping around to hit the side of your head in essence. So with a short windshield the top corners are lower and the buffeting may be occurring on you shoulders instead of your ears.
Short 4" windscreen, 6'4" and no buffeting in any direction or shoulders...
 :wink: the full face hemet takes care of it at 1/100 the cost of changing out the front-end.  :hyst: