Author Topic: IPB (inner primary bearing) problem on a 2006 Dyna  (Read 1775 times)

Offline jogorman

IPB (inner primary bearing) problem on a 2006 Dyna
« on: Monday, July 01, 2013. 05:51:15 PM. »
I have a 2006 Dyna with approximately 10,000 miles which is suffering from the standard IPB bearing.  I purchased the special Harley removal tool and I paid special attention to the warning that "on occasion the race walks under the transmission belt gear housing" which makes it exceedingly difficult to remove the race.  Well...the race has walked under the gear making it impossible to use the tool as intended.

I cut slots at 180 degree offsets into the race and inserted the tool at the offset, heated the race, couldn't believe how well the race was coming free, well 2/rds of the race anyway.  Any suggestions as to how to extract the remaining 1/3 of the race (approximately 1/8 is under the gear and is not accessible).  I have been very careful and the output shaft is unaffected at this point with no burrs or gouges on the shaft.  The race is self destructing and I'm unsure that cold chiseling the remainder will work.  Any suggestions?  Assuming I get through this mess I have one other question.

The shifter pedal shaft has a nylon seal on the transmission side (primary side) and looks to have a bushing on the opposite side outermost end of the shaft that is pressed into the outer most primary cover nearest the foot shifter.  Is there any other seal on that end of that shaft?  Dealer says no but that doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks again....

Offline HV

• New Brunswick CANADA ( East Coast )
  • Administrator
  • 2013 FLTRX * Member Dec/2000*
    • HTT Admin
Re: IPB (inner primary bearing) problem on a 2006 Dyna
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 01, 2013. 06:17:23 PM. »
Using a die Grinder ..cut a slot at a 45 degree angle across as much of the race as possable  ..then a sharp blow with a cold Chisel and it will split and pull off
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Offline Hilly13

« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 01, 2013. 06:21:47 PM. »
There should be no oil in the shaft cavity, there is a gasket between the two primary housings to seal the shaft cavity, can you get a dremmel to what's left of the race?
Just because its said don't make it so

Online vdop

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 02, 2013. 10:34:47 AM. »
Should have taken it to the dealer and had it fixed on Harleys dime. Probably needs a trans case also to actually fix the problem, which they are still covering. Can you post pics of where you're at now? Hard to understand without seeing it. I usually cut the race like you did and use a bearing splitter to remove. Has worked many times. As far as the case, Is it machined at the bolt holes to accept the dowels it's supposed to have?
06 fxdb. 113", Dan Vance 110 heads, 12:1, 266e, hpi 58/62, zilla 145hp/130tq sae

Offline jogorman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 02, 2013. 11:01:55 AM. »
I've not only been to the dealer (several times!) but have tried to contact Harley directly, no luck at all...they pretty much told me where to go and what to do, not with the bike but with my attempts to get them to cover it. Back story..I had just bought a new Road King and I gifted the Dyna to my son when he got back from Afghanistan.  We had the bikes trailered to Daytona for, his first time using it and three days into the trip it the bike couldn't be ridden....sucks.  Dealers tell us there's no recall, Harley tells us the bike is too old, even though the thing has such low mileage.  They would have covered it is the bike was new!?  We just got the mileage to the point where everyone else had problems and Harley won't stand behind what they know is a known problem.  Trying to fix it for him so he can at least get some of the summer out of it... Thanks for help ,will  post pictures when I get home. (It does accept the dowels.)

Online vdop

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 02, 2013. 03:48:31 PM. »
Damn that sucks. Just saw one done a couple weeks ago on an 06 with 15k. Did the trans case and they even covered updating the stator and rotor. Guess the dealer needs to be willing to work at it.
06 fxdb. 113", Dan Vance 110 heads, 12:1, 266e, hpi 58/62, zilla 145hp/130tq sae

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013. 09:46:14 AM. »
I think I would contact the good folks at HD and find the right person to tongue wrestle with...in order to get it covered.   Rick

Online vdop

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013. 10:20:20 AM. »
I think I would contact the good folks at HD and find the right person to tongue wrestle with...in order to get it covered.   Rick
Definitely have to find the right person. We got a fng that had never even heard of this issue. Apparently you can move right from McDonald's manager to hd tech services.

Offline davidrmitchell

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013. 12:30:51 PM. »
Call this number before you take it in to the dealer,  414-343-4056 Option # 5. Explain to them what is going on and that it is a 2006 dyna and you know for a fact that Harley is Fixing the IPB as a good will jester on a case by case bases. They should issue you a reference number. Take the bike in with the reference number and once the dealer finds it is the IPB they need to call Harley and verify the reference number and that it is in fact a IPB that needs replaced. You may have to pay a 100 dollar fee. Usually first replacement they just change the bearing. Second time they usually not only change bearing but replace the tranny and primary cases to the 07 and up style.
2006 Wide Glide High Flow A/C  Thundermax Auto tune.

Online misfitJason

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 07, 2013. 08:38:20 AM. »
I had this done as well on Harley's dime on my 06. I called corporate first to get a reference number. Then I took the bike in and gave the service guy the reference number with the letter that Harley put out for the bearing replacement. The service people took it apart and then called Harley. Harley said fix it. Oh and this was last October