Author Topic: Michelin Commander II's  (Read 1358 times)

Offline WhipLash96

Michelin Commander II's
« on: Tuesday, June 18, 2013. 03:57:48 PM. »

For those of you that are running this tire, now that they have been released for awhile now, how do you like them? If memory serves correctly, the biggest initial knock on them was the handling of them in the rain. Is this still a concern or have you gotten used to the tire and this is no longer a concern? I am looking to change tires from the standard Harley Dunlop and am looking to try this tire out.

Any information about this specific tire would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Offline Eleft36

• Trade School Alumnus
Re: Michelin Commander II's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2013. 04:34:35 PM. »
I have them, they run in the rain with out any problem.
These are very smooth and quiet tires comparing them to OEM tires.
Al
103" SE BB Andrews 26H's 2010 110" mufflers
Ride every chance I get, above 36*f

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2013. 05:08:13 PM. »
I have them, they run in the rain with out any problem.
These are very smooth and quiet tires comparing them to OEM tires.
Al

Thanks. I ran into a different thread somewhere else and now I am on the fence about which to use. I am looking at the Pirelli Night Dragons now.  :teeth: :smiled:

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
Michelin Commander II's
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2013. 05:19:30 PM. »
I was one of the guys who didn't care that much for them. Interestingly enough, I made motor changes to my bike, and I like them much better.

My '08 Street Glide was 96" and had Andrews 48 cams, D&D Fatcat. I was spinning in the rain easily, as well as just taking off on dry pavement, was having trouble keeping the rear tire from sliding away when pulling away in a left or right four way turn.

I have the motor as a 107 now, Andrews 55 cams, makes considerably more power. But, the off idle power is linear now. With the 48 cams, I was getting power right off idle that was causing those tires to rip. I had noticed it the first time I took off from the driveway with them.

YMMV 

Brian

2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline Soft 02

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2013. 06:07:38 PM. »
Im on my 5th rear and first front. I like em. Great in the rain and almost doubled milage over stock Dunlops.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Offline Bona Fide Bob

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2013. 06:13:41 PM. »
 I have around 4000 miles on mine, I don't care for how they look and they are worse on tar snakes than any tire I have ever ridden, other than tar snakes I find handling acceptable. I will not be buying them again.

Offline Daniel Lee

• Been riding a motorcycle since 1960.
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2013. 08:00:05 PM. »
They are better then the new Screecher tires that cam on my 2011.I ran thru  2 Screecher back tires The 11s are a lot smoother. Like rolling on ball bearings.  The 11s hate new tar snakes with a passion so with that said be carful ...:)

Offline runamuck

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 05:27:06 AM. »
I have had them on my 09 ultra for a few thousand miles and I like em. have ridden in the heat of arizona and thru several hours of rain in west texas and they seem to work very well. have made 4 or 5 panic stops and they seem pretty sticky. been all over the mountain roads of new mexico and colorado with them and they feel good to me on the twisties and quiet on the highway getting there..they replaced the dunflops that came on the bike new so can only compare with them.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 05:37:44 AM. »
CommII's are smooth on the interstates, but in the twisties or in the rain won't hold a candle to Avons. The jury is out concerning mileage, but I always got 15-18,000 miles on a rear Avon......unless I was having too much fun, then it was more like 10,000.
East Tenn.

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 09:32:36 AM. »
Thanks. I ran into a different thread somewhere else and now I am on the fence about which to use. I am looking at the Pirelli Night Dragons now.  :teeth: :smiled:

I tried a 180/60-17 (stock size) Night Dragon on the back of my Deuce because I got a deal on it and was hoping for a tire that wasn't dealer only for next to $300.  An infamous member here told me that he had ran the ND's and guessed I would get about 3500 miles out of it,  he was right on.  Bald with cord showing lightly most of the way around the tire at 3770,  had been bald for about 300 miles.  I don't do burnouts or slid the bike or really anything that is hard on the tires other than the fact I live on a curvy road and corner hard a good part of the time.  Compared to the stock Dunlop GT502 (not touring compound and is a sticky tire for an oem Dunlop) the ND gives 20% less mileage,  jumps off painted lines, not as stable/planted almost nervous and too willing to change radius/line mid-corner.  Probably would have said slid on paint but I couldn't believe how allergic to paint this tire was, every time you crossed paint it wiggled good, we're talking old center line on a country road that the Dunlops ignore.  I did the old to new both ways...when I went from 502 to ND it felt kinda OK (doable) but not anything special,  when I went back,  ND to 502, I went wow that's better.

Short story Night Dragons don't last, lack stability (don't feel planted) and are not great for grip.

I have no personal experience with the Thailand made Commander II's.  when I called Michelin they said the Scorcher series are better tires.  I think most that have run the II's will say they get decent mileage and are nothing special.  From the feedback I don't think they are for me.   Rick
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 10:11:03 AM. by 04 SE DEUCE »

Offline djl

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 09:40:30 AM. »
No experience with the Commander's but am running a Night Dragon on the back of my Deuce after wearing out the OEM tire and three 502s. Less than 1000 miles so far but I will be ponying up for another 502 to replace it when the Pirelli goes. 

Offline Coff 06

• Site Supporter
  • Warren ,Member since 06. Mendocino county,Ca
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 10:17:03 AM. »
I'm having real good luck with the Dunlop American Elite's on my FXST,(not E III's)
All other tires I've tried we're worn out by 7k,7k on this one and still has at least 1/2 of the tread left.This is a 200/17 rear.           Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11.0/1,SE 251s, Don's Pro Street heads,Pythons,TMAT

Online wolf_59

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 10:25:12 AM. »
No issues with the commanderII 10,000 mi. so far on my 06 ultra tread about halfway stock tires only lasted 10,000 no problems with tar snakes at all, very seldom rains here so can't comment on that, other than milage just not as excited about these as I was the originals

Offline Deye76

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 11:05:15 AM. »
"Short story Night Dragons don't last, lack stability (don't feel planted) and are not great for grip."

Doesn't surprise me, parent company of metzler turds that have weak side walls and are undersized.
East Tenn.

Offline hmd1

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 04:16:02 PM. »
2ND time around night dragon love them, rode 09 fat boy with commander 2 didn't like them.
u can reach  at me hmd1955@aol.com not sure where to put e mail adress thanks

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 04:28:20 PM. »
CommII's are smooth on the interstates, but in the twisties or in the rain won't hold a candle to Avons. The jury is out concerning mileage, but I always got 15-18,000 miles on a rear Avon......unless I was having too much fun, then it was more like 10,000.

Agree, I'll be putting Avon Cobras on when these wear out. I've run 5 or 6 sets of the Cobras on a previously owned bike, I like them a bunch.
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 07:40:24 PM. »
2ND time around night dragon love them, rode 09 fat boy with commander 2 didn't like them.

How many miles have you gotten out of them? More information please?

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 08:01:37 PM. »
"Short story Night Dragons don't last, lack stability (don't feel planted) and are not great for grip."

Doesn't surprise me, parent company of metzler turds that have weak side walls and are undersized.

Deye,  I hear you on all that.  The 180/60-17 ND is made in Brazil but has a stiff sidewall,  stiffer than the 502 when flexing it by hand.  It looks to be similar width and profile compared to the 502 off the wheel,  mounted the ND narrows up and gets tall with a way more rounded/pointed/less flat profile than the 502.   The non-performance profile of the tire is telling.  Mounted it measured 170mm wide versus 182mm for the 502,  and 26-1/8"  in diameter instead of the 25.75 spec.  I didn't care about it being "skinny" and the extra diameter gave me more lean angle and corrected my speedo error. 

The ND lacked both mileage and performance.    I agree djl.    Rick

Offline lonerider2

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 06:41:54 AM. »
Not real happy with Commander II's on my 09 Ultra , about 5000 miles on them, wearing real good 7/32 left in center of tread BUT the are cupping real bad, howl real bad in corners, this is on both front and rear and before you all tell me low tire pressure, 41 in front and always 42 to 44 in rear, checked with 3 different gauges. All of my riding is in the Smoky Mtns so might have something to do with cupping. Checked Dunlop web site and their EXPERTS say to avoid hard breaking, as it is one of the causes of tire cupping along with low tire pressure so I guess I'll have to move to the flat land so I don't have to break so much for the corners! I've had cupping problem with Dunlop OEM's, American Elite and now the II's so guess unless I move to straight road country just have to ride and listen to the howl in corners!! :emoGroan:

Offline cycleman11

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 07:25:53 AM. »
I currently have Commander II's on my 2008 Heritage Softail and have just put 1000 miles on them.  I like the ride & handling with these tires on the bike, work well in twisties ( as much as the bike will allow ) but I have a very slight vibration in the 10-15 mph range.  I can't see any cupping yet ( had Michelin Pilot II's on a previous bike and they cupped like crazy ) but the vibration seems to be coming from the tires.  I've had the balance checked, even went so far as to install a dyna bead product.  With the dyna beads I left the wheel weights on, then took them off with no real change in the vibration.

With the vibration happening at such a slow speed I'm leaning towards the fact that the tire has started to cup.  I'll have to do some very slow speed turns to see if the vibration is worse on a left or right turn. I can get the dealer to replace the tire, but it will be the same tire, so I'm just going to run with the tire and see how it works as the miles pile on.

I had Dunlop Elite 3's on the bike previously and there was no vibration until I changed the tire.  The mounting of tires etc had been rechecked by the dealer and everything is as it should be.