Author Topic: Non HD/SE compensator?  (Read 11748 times)

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
Re: Non HD/SE compensator?
« Reply #75 on: Monday, April 22, 2013. 08:41:50 PM. »
They must be having design problems with it......

My eval is confedential.  :doh:  Go guess somewhere else.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline Hilly13

« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013. 01:46:33 AM. »
I thought it was a reasonable attempt at drawing you out  :teeth:
Just because its said don't make it so

Offline BUBBIE

• Site Supporter
  • 09 FLHR KING / 06 sport 1200 R
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013. 03:28:44 PM. »
 :missed:

I could not wait, I ordered from HD and specified the OLD style that came with my 09 FLHR please...

When I got it tore down, the part arrived and Guess What???? Yep, it was the New SE "A" replacement.
 I had to go with the SE comp. "A" replacement then.

Now I had a choice: to Grind OR take off my inner primary.

Glad I did the Take Off of inner primary and not grind.  The Bearing in primary case and race on tranny shaft/clutch was bad.

I would have put it back together using the stock comp and not knowing that bearing would soon GO. :sick:

I Also did the Diagonal Grooves on my SE unit. rbabos said it is a waste of time (I do respect his opinion) BUT after following um-Teen pages of reading here on HTT about that Horrible RUSTY SE unit,,, I grooved it anyways... I do use MTL.

Only time will tell as I don't plan to look inside Unless Necessary.

signed....BUBBIE

Added: Yes my Hot Starting problems are a thing of the Past....
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 23, 2013. 03:30:55 PM. by BUBBIE »
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Online rbabos

« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 05:26:14 PM. »

I could not wait, I ordered from HD and specified the OLD style that came with my 09 FLHR please...

When I got it tore down, the part arrived and Guess What???? Yep, it was the New SE "A" replacement.
 I had to go with the SE comp. "A" replacement then.

Now I had a choice: to Grind OR take off my inner primary.

Glad I did the Take Off of inner primary and not grind.  The Bearing in primary case and race on tranny shaft/clutch was bad.

I would have put it back together using the stock comp and not knowing that bearing would soon GO. :sick:

I Also did the Diagonal Grooves on my SE unit. rbabos said it is a waste of time (I do respect his opinion) BUT after following um-Teen pages of reading here on HTT about that Horrible RUSTY SE unit,,, I grooved it anyways... I do use MTL.

Only time will tell as I don't plan to look inside Unless Necessary.

signed....BUBBIE

Added: Yes my Hot Starting problems are a thing of the Past....
Rust, you say? Here's a brand new installed comp from a dealer with 45 miles on it. It was checked during an oiler install.
Ron

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I came over to the Dark Side. They have chocolate kisses.

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 05:34:37 PM. »
I think they filled the primary with water then. I have yet to see one that bad with thousands of miles on them.   :scratch:

I removed the one from my 2012 bike and it looked like new with 3500 miles.

Online rbabos

« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 05:44:02 PM. »
I think they filled the primary with water then. I have yet to see one that bad with thousands of miles on them.   :scratch:

Only relaying how fast fretting starts. You see a couple therefore it doesn't happen, seriously?
Ron

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 05:48:50 PM. »

Only relaying how fast fretting starts. You see a couple therefore it doesn't happen, seriously?
Ron

Sorry but I'm from Missouri.   :wink:

I know there are issues but I don't think the sky is falling.

Missouri
“Show Me State” A name attributed to Representative Willard Van Diver. It conotates a certain self-deprecating stubbornness and devotion to simple common sense.
source:  State Names, Seals, Flags, and Symbols by Benjamin F. Shearer, Barbara S. Shearer
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 05:51:28 PM. by Coyote »

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 05:57:40 PM. »
In 45 miles it'd have be no lube.. Mech probably assembled it without oil right after taking a crap.. :wink:
Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Online rbabos

« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 06:02:53 PM. »
In 45 miles it'd have be no lube.. Mech probably assembled it without oil right after taking a crap.. :wink:
Max
I did not install the oiler, but if there was no oil I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten the pic in the first place. They run dry even with oil in the primary, remember?
Ron

Offline BUBBIE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2013. 09:41:57 PM. »

I packed mine with Heavy grease inside ALL including the big Washers, Grooved the face with diagonal, starting on the 3 spokes and Into the dry area.

Hoping "that" MIGHT pull a little MTL oil into the unit... BUT knowing Centrifugal Force from the reading of the Bizillion postings and Pages here on HTT that the grease leaves soon and oil is Hard to get inside.

I hope mine looks better When I open it up...

I think the oiler is where I'll go... Soon. :pop:

Hate Rust. :gob:

signed....BUBBIE

Offline moscooter

• 2009 SE Ultra 110
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, April 25, 2013. 04:01:10 PM. »
 :scratch:
I find this post interesting for those of us that have not liked the final "gearing" on the last few yrs models.   Many of us have tried to solve the problem by going to a 30T transmission sprocket.   While this has improved the gearing problem,  it has introduced another "problem".............in that the "stock" belt no longer works and usually required going to a (as I recall),  a 139T belt.......(Which Harley does NOT make).   

So,  many of us have ended up with a belt via Drag Specialities,  which is a Falcon belt or whatever..........that does not seem to hold up as well as a H.D. belt.

In fact,  as a result........some have "modified" theilr swingarm length so as to be able to still use the "stock" belt by H.D.

If this new "comp",  can become available in a 32 tooth or even maybe a 31 tooth,  it could solve the gearing problems and allow the usage of the "stock" belt with the "stock" 32T trans. sprocket.

:nix:

Online rbabos

« Reply #86 on: Thursday, April 25, 2013. 04:16:14 PM. »
Whenever the engine sprocket OD is reduced some cushioning effect will be lost as well.
Ron

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #87 on: Thursday, April 25, 2013. 04:29:35 PM. »
I find this post interesting for those of us that have not liked the final "gearing" on the last few yrs models.   Many of us have tried to solve the problem by going to a 30T transmission sprocket.   While this has improved the gearing problem,  it has introduced another "problem".............in that the "stock" belt no longer works and usually required going to a (as I recall),  a 139T belt.......(Which Harley does NOT make).   

So,  many of us have ended up with a belt via Drag Specialities,  which is a Falcon belt or whatever..........that does not seem to hold up as well as a H.D. belt.

In fact,  as a result........some have "modified" theilr swingarm length so as to be able to still use the "stock" belt by H.D.

If this new "comp",  can become available in a 32 tooth or even maybe a 31 tooth,  it could solve the gearing problems and allow the usage of the "stock" belt with the "stock" 32T trans. sprocket.

A 1 tooth less belt is available from HD..   Stock is 137 and a 136 is available. 

I know that Hoban plans to have some different motor sprockets available.

Max
No Collar to the Bone

Offline Desertwndrr

« Reply #88 on: Thursday, April 25, 2013. 04:59:31 PM. »
Max,

On the current touring models the stock belt is a 140t.  139t is required if you change to a 30t drive sprocket and don't modify he swingarm for the axle to sit further back.

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, April 25, 2013. 05:23:43 PM. »
oops though it used the same belt as an 07.. I guess it's another reason for not going to a later model..  :wink:

Max
No Collar to the Bone

Offline moscooter

• 2009 SE Ultra 110
« Reply #90 on: Friday, April 26, 2013. 05:08:37 PM. »
 :potstir:
Desert.......has it correct.  For many of us with later models.......mine is a CVO 2009 Ultra Classic,  the gearing is indeed to high,  and for many the solution has been to go with the 30T trans sprocket..........which calls for a 139 T belt which H.D.  does NOT make, and Drag Specialities offers which appears to come from a source known as (Falcon)??.

In any event,  the shorter belt has proven to be less desireable and as trustworthy/strong as a typical H.D. drive belt.  Many have failed early on.............See the many posts on the CVO forum site for further details.

Offline Soft 02

« Reply #91 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013. 08:56:51 AM. »
Any word on the release date for the Darkhorse comp??? After going through the bottom end now I can really hear/feel the comp!
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013. 08:59:23 AM. »
John says expected release date is July the 7th. I'm hoping for a product report from Coyote on July the 8th.   :wink:
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline Soft 02

« Reply #93 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013. 09:01:22 AM. »
Great news! Wonder if there is a pre order list. Might have to call John.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013. 09:05:46 AM. »
Great news! Wonder if there is a pre order list. Might have to call John.

There is, I've been on it since just after the Cincy show where it was debuted. Better call him.
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline Soft 02

« Reply #95 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013. 09:13:05 AM. »
Thanks. Ill give him a call.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Offline Soft 02

« Reply #96 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013. 09:21:20 AM. »
Just got my name on the list!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Offline Soft 02

« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2013. 02:53:08 PM. »
This is the email I recieved from John:

Just to keep everyone up to date with progress on our direct drive sprocket system:

We have been working diligently on testing before our product is released to the open market & we know everyone has been waiting patiently and we thank you for that patience.  When we brought our sprocket system to Cinci. dealer show we knew we had testing yet to be done, when it so well received we attempted to push product development along to meet market demand.  On the other hand, we know that we can not release a product until we are confident it will have the longevity that everyone, including us, expect and demand.

We are currently finishing work on molds for injection molding our dampener bushings.  We have not been able to retain the tolerance needed by water jetting our prototypes.  We had hopes of finalizing our dampener bushing design through our prototype testing before going to the molding process as it is expensive & time consuming to make molds.  Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent that needed to make the commitment to go this route to insure that our testing data is accurate.

This process is critical to longevity of product as a whole and we need to have bushings correct & consistent in all drives which injection molding will give us. This issue has slowed our R&D down because of inconsistent tolerances in our outsourcing of water jetting dampener bushings.  We are in final stages of mold development and plan on implementing finish molded dampeners by early July in test bikes, which was original target for full release, but unfortunately we did not get the critical testing we needed to get done to release product to market and will now resume testing with the proper spec. dampeners.

I will do my best to keep everyone on board with our progress and give accurate release dates.  Thank you once again for your patience while we do our best to bring you the solution to a smooth, long lasting primary drive system!

Thank you - John E Dahmer
Hoban Brothers & Darkhorse Crankworks GM
10629 Hwy 42, Newton, WI. 53063
4x National Champions
P 920.726.4990 F 920.726.4991
www.darkhorsecrankworks.com
www.jghbracing.com
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Offline Hilly13

« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2013. 03:49:58 PM. »
Thanks for the update, have been wondering where this was at, cheers.
Just because its said don't make it so

Offline BUBBIE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Thursday, June 27, 2013. 09:36:32 AM. »

THIS would work Better and Not cost as much.....
I have a friend on here that Manufactured a few Gear changes that worked out well.....(rbabos talked with geezer ron long time back) I KNOW that the design is a good one. It totally replacing the steel part of the HD part on the clutch. More teeth on the sprocket and a longer chain... the unit to fit the clutch-basket and is a 56 (memory) tooth designed to raise the RPM's about 350 or so(memory)... You can run in 6th gear at 55 and no problem of lugging. Geezer has one installed in his softail and a few on other bikes around the country... ALL are holding up great. The machine work First class and UNIT is complete other than You removing what is riveted on you clutch basket to remove the gear there and then install the unit, drilling out the rivet holes to match(same hole pattern)... then by bolting where it used to be riveted... Easy to install and made strong out of steel like the HD original...
A Longer quality Chain comes with the new unit.. Memory only$ about 950 for the package. This is NOT a imitation as it  is done correctly at a big known machine shop in Canada..Eh...

I will get in touch with geezer ron, as we worked on this project together and Just MAYBE we will have to become Vendors here on HTT...

I will stat a thread to PROPERLY present this product Soon..... Thank for the steal of your thread to answer the Other post here...

signed....BUBBIE