Author Topic: Cam upgrade kits for 88 on a 2000 Road King  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Dualsport60

Cam upgrade kits for 88 on a 2000 Road King
« on: Friday, November 30, 2012. 10:59:59 AM. »
Hey all!
 I have a 2000 Road King that I am wanting to upgrade the cams and bearings on. Throughout the forum I see where the Andrews 21's are recommended by several folks and that John at Flyingwperformance was selling a complete Herco kit for this. Well, as luck would have it when I contacted John about this I recieved this reply:

Hi Kevin,

I regret having to report the following:
The sale of "Herko" Conversion Kits has been discontinued. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. The MoCo continues to step on the toes of their dealers who sell OE parts at a meaningful discount.

As of late August 2012, Andrews Products has postponed the sale of their conversion kits as well.

Best regards,
John

So does anyone know of someone else that has these kits? Thanks for the replies! Ride safe!!!

Offline mmesa005

• Site Supporter
Re: Cam upgrade kits for 88 on a 2000 Road King
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 30, 2012. 11:19:31 AM. »
You can check out FuelMoto http://fuelmotousa.com/cams.htm

Are you just changing cams? Updating the cam tensioners / oil pump?  You will want to be prepared to replace your current tensioners if your not updating them.
You may want to consider installing ajdustable push rods

In my case I went to my local Harley dealer and they put everything together for me. I went with the Screamin Eagle Hybrid Cam Plate / oil pump kit and Screamin Eagle Quick Install adjustable push rods.

Also, as you are going to remove your exhaust system to have easier access to the cam plate you will want to consider replacing your exhaust gaskets.

Last - do you have the tools you need to press out the cams from the cam plate and change the bearings? Also, you will need the tool to remove / install the needle bearings.

If you haven't done this before here are a few links to some pictorials and  videos.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/677609-tc88-cam-plate-upgrade-w-tw6-6-cams-intro.html
http://www.aimag.com/forums/harley-twin-cam/7855-twin-cam-cam-cam-chain-tensioner-replacement-how.html
Cam Replacement on a Harley Davidson Twin Cam, including Pushrod Removal • J&P Cycles

How To Remove & Replace Blown Cam On A Harley-Davidson Road King - Part 1: Dissassembly

Regards,
mmesa005 - 82 FXR

Offline djl

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 30, 2012. 11:37:59 AM. »
Three other options:

1. Replace the OEM tensioners with CYCO tensioner, new roller/ball bearings, replace relief valve spring with Baisley piece, new cams and, depending on how the oil pump looks, maybe replace pump internals.

2. Retain the OEM cam plate/pump, new roller/ball bearings, replace relief valve spring with Baisley piece and install gear drive with the new cams. Check crank runout first.

2. Since you are replacing cams, go with the 25282-11 cam plate/pump kit but will need to replace cams with conversion cams. You will alsos need roller chains, spacer kit, tensioners and drive sprockets to complete the conversion.

Of course upgrade those inner cam bearings while you at it.  Just a matter of what you want to achieve and how much you want to spend.

Offline Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 30, 2012. 11:47:31 AM. »
21's work well in stock 88's... If I were doing this job, I would replace the pads on the stock tensioners with the kits from Cyco as stated above, along with the inner and outer bearings.
The last two sets of 21's I installed the outer bearings were included with the cams.

Very economical repair :up:

Offline mmesa005

• Site Supporter
Regards,
mmesa005 - 82 FXR

Offline fidel

« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 30, 2012. 02:13:29 PM. »
i av a 2000 rk too i put and andrews kit on it cam plate high volume oil pump and andrews 26 n with smith brothers adj push rod mu bike is carb so i rejet  and put a daytona twin tech ignition on it im really happy with the result te 26 is almost the same than 21 but come maybe 700 rpm   after the 21  but stay 700 higher

Offline Overcamber

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a warning shot Won't be fired !

Offline Dualsport60

« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 03, 2012. 05:05:08 AM. »
 Great replies and info! I appreciate all the advice! I am looking to start tearing her down when I can come up for air from all this work! Gonna be soon and I'll keep y'all updated on my progress! Thanks again! Dualsport

Offline Dualsport60

« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 03, 2012. 07:41:49 AM. »
Ok...I have been reading a lot of posts and now I've got another question. Gear drive cams or chain drive cams? Preferences? Opinions?

Offline TweekmyTwin

• Cheap SOB
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 03, 2012. 09:06:18 AM. »
Now you opened a new can of worms.... I say, new style tensioner's for your set-up   :up:
Kiss What ?

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 03, 2012. 09:09:07 AM. »
You are lookin' at mouse cams.. Go with chains.. Gears sometimes need size adjustment and don't like crank run-out..
Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone