Author Topic: sprocket shaft oil seal, how do I know when its bad?. (photos of home made tool)  (Read 1671 times)

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
                           while I was replacing my stator I noticed a large seal behind my stator. It looked like it was coated with motor oil on the outside of it.....  It did not look right to me, the motor oil on the "outside" of this seal in the primary.
                           Should that seal keep all the motor oil behind it or is it normal to have motor oil on the outside  of it.
                           Does the motor oil on the outside mean it should be replaced, How do I know when it goes bad?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 07:39:03 PM. by gabbyduffy »
Duffy

Offline truck

• HTT Rocks
  • Administrator
  • HTT member since 9/25/2001 Alburtis, Pennsylvania
Re: Main drive gear seal behind the stator, should it be replaced?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 04:08:28 AM. »
It's a good idea to replace all seals when you have it apart that far.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
Re: sprocket shaft oil seal behind the stator, should it be replaced?
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 04:53:28 AM. »
                  Is there an easey way to remove and replace this seal?....
« Last Edit: Monday, August 20, 2012. 06:44:39 AM. by gabbyduffy »
Duffy

Offline Billy

• Site Supporter
  • Virginia Beach
Re: sprocket shaft oil seal, how do I know when its bad?
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 12:22:25 PM. »
while I was replacing my stator I noticed a large seal behind my stator. It looked like it was coated with motor oil on the outside of it.....

How do you know it's motor oil? Most likely it is primary oil. This seal rarely fails.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Offline rbabos

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 12:24:04 PM. »
See my other reply as to why it might be leaking.
Ron
I came over to the Dark Side. They have chocolate kisses.

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 02:50:36 PM. »
   GOSH IM having a hell of a time getting the old seal out? any ideas?
Duffy

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 03:00:43 PM. »
The way you can tell if that seal is bad: The engine oil will leak into the primary, causing it to be overfull...or, the primary lube will go to the engine, causing the engine to be overfull. If you have neither problem, leave it alone.
Rarely do they need to be replaced.

Edit: It appears that you are trying to remove the seal...don`t forget that the spacer should be replaced also if you are going that far...

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 03:29:59 PM. »
The way you can tell if that seal is bad: The engine oil will leak into the primary, causing it to be overfull...or, the primary lube will go to the engine, causing the engine to be overfull. If you have neither problem, leave it alone.
Rarely do they need to be replaced.

Edit: It appears that you are trying to remove the seal...don`t forget that the spacer should be replaced also if you are going that far...
...You gotta be kidding me, the spacer looks brand new where does it end. I was told I should replace the oil seal while I was in that deep, and it looked fine, Now the spacer.....   :doh:   maybe the bearing too....         just kidding, hey thanks for the advice my friend......I just got the seal out, Thanks god that was tuff.    I've been taking photos of the process I'll post when I'm done. ...........Any other tips?
Duffy

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 04:37:47 PM. »
Just trying to help, sorry if it is not what you want to hear.

The seal and the spacer are one unit as far as sealing oil goes.

Do whatever you want.

Offline rbabos

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 05:57:22 PM. »
Swap ends on the spacer. Gives a new area for seal to ride on.
Ron
I came over to the Dark Side. They have chocolate kisses.

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 06:55:12 PM. »
Swap ends on the spacer. Gives a new area for seal to ride on.
Ron
    Ron thats a good tip, this is why I like this forum so much. you saved me a couple bucks and a trip to the "dealer"ship.
Duffy

Offline Thumper Buttercup

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 20, 2012. 07:36:10 PM. »
Gabby that is what we did with ours, turned it around.  As for the seal go to Harbor Freight and
get a seal puller tool.  Of course the last time we went in to change ours it had been blown all
the way out against the rotor.

04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

Offline frankieb

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 03:01:15 AM. »
Gabby that is what we did with ours, turned it around.  As for the seal go to Harbor Freight and
get a seal puller tool.  Of course the last time we went in to change ours it had been blown all
the way out against the rotor.

I didn't like the seal puller, it was to easy for me to bugger up the alum. case around the seal. Instead i used a small dent puller with a screw in the end, worked great.

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 06:29:06 AM. »
Photos   Check out this cool sprocket shaft oil seal installer I made with a few things I picked up at Home Depot for under $12.
             Its amazing how well this PVC fitting worked, The oil seal and spacer fit like a glove.

1. PVC fitting and 2 washers.....
             2. measure and cut the fitting so you can use the comp. bolt to compress the seal.
             3. super glue the 2 washers together then super glue the washers to the pvc fitting.

AND WHA.....LAAA...... you have a home made sprocket oil seal installer thats works great.... and the price is right..  :up:
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 06:51:23 AM. by gabbyduffy »
Duffy

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Once you go Glide, there's no other ride!
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 06:31:24 AM. »
Hey, if it works, that's what I always say.

Do you turn the valve the other way to take the seal off?  Just kidding, just kidding, very inventive I think.  :up:

2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 07:01:37 AM. »
     check out how well the splined crank shaft slipped into the fitting, I'm telling you this thing fit like a glove, all the measurements were perfect except for the length. Only had to make one cut.  did I mention the oil seal spacer fit on the inside of the PVC aswell.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 09:24:42 AM. by gabbyduffy »
Duffy

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012. 07:04:49 AM. »
I saw that, you had a well guided tool there!

Offline Hogman

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 24, 2012. 07:49:32 AM. »
Photos   Check out this cool sprocket shaft oil seal installer I made with a few things I picked up at Home Depot for under $12.
             Its amazing how well this PVC fitting worked, The oil seal and spacer fit like a glove.

2. measure and cut the fitting so you can use the comp. bolt to compress the seal.
             3. super glue the 2 washers together then super glue the washers to the pvc fitting.

AND WHA.....LAAA...... you have a home made sprocket oil seal installer thats works great.... and the price is right..  :up:

Hey gabbyduffy, GREAT Idea ya Have there! MAYBE, You could put that idea, (Pics & All) in to the Home Made Tools Section, so Others Could Maybe Give it a Try??? Just an Idea Brother, JUST an Idea......
I Always Like to see us all get along Fine here, and Especially Helping Each Other Out with Ideas like This! Besides, It'll come back to you 10 Fold!!!   :up: :up:

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
sprocket shaft oil seal, how do I know when its bad?. (photos of home made tool)
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 24, 2012. 08:08:04 AM. »
I thought we all did get along?  :hyst:

Brian

Offline mkd

• Site Supporter
  • tail of the dragon 2011
Re: sprocket shaft oil seal, how do I know when its bad?. (photos of home made tool)
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 24, 2012. 10:37:06 AM. »
an insulated plastic ducks unlimited coffee cup is what i used for a seal installer.the cup was the right lenght and the top lip was just the right diameter. all i had to do was cut a hole in the bottom.

Offline gabbyduffy

• Site Supporter
Re: sprocket shaft oil seal, how do I know when its bad?. (photos of home made tool)
« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 24, 2012. 03:40:32 PM. »

Hey gabbyduffy, GREAT Idea ya Have there! MAYBE, You could put that idea, (Pics & All) in to the Home Made Tools Section, so Others Could Maybe Give it a Try??? Just an Idea Brother, JUST an Idea......
I Always Like to see us all get along Fine here, and Especially Helping Each Other Out with Ideas like This! Besides, It'll come back to you 10 Fold!!!   :up: :up:
     I'll put it in the "home made tool section" .......good idea.
Duffy

Offline Hogman

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 24, 2012. 07:20:47 PM. »

I'll put it in the "home made tool section" .......good idea.

Cool Brother, COOL! I'm SURE, Many Will Appreciate That too.

I thought we all did get along?   

Brian

Yeah, RIIIIGHT!      :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  What.... :nix: