Author Topic: Inner Primary bearing failure  (Read 2512 times)

Offline 60wt

Inner Primary bearing failure
« on: Saturday, June 02, 2012. 08:22:16 PM. »
07 RK, 20,000 miles on it, noticed oil coming from primary, opened it up and the primary bearing inner race was galled.....Seems kinda soon to me ....what would cause that to happen so soon.. and wonder if a power steering puller would get the inner race off the tranny shaft..or do you HAVETA use the official HD puller/installer??
May the bugs in your teeth always taste sweet...

Online Quicksilver

Re: Inner Primary bearing failure
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 02, 2012. 10:47:56 PM. »
That's about the same milage that my bearing went out on my 07 Electra Glide.  Had the work done under warranty, so no idea what kind of puller.

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 03, 2012. 08:40:41 AM. »
If you can get the puller behind it, you may be able to use a generic puller. Or you can cut it off. Putting one back on is another issue that may require the correct tool anyways.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline hdxbones

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 03, 2012. 01:43:34 PM. »
I had an 07 Roadglide that had the inner primary bearing fail at 25,000 or so. Used the HD tool to remove/install.

Offline iclick

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 03, 2012. 02:27:31 PM. »
I had an 07 Roadglide that had the inner primary bearing fail at 25,000 or so. Used the HD tool to remove/install.

I had the tranny mainshaft bearing (#8967) fail at 32k with symptoms (speed-related whine) starting at 16k.  While doing that warranty work they had the primary apart and found no problems.  So far no problems in the primary except an RPM-related whine that has been there since new.  Primary chain is not too tight.  SE comp installed during that tranny work and no problems with that either now at 55k. 

FWIW, a friend with an '09 Ultra had the primary bearing go out at around 30k, IIRC, so this problem doesn't seem restricted to '07's. 

Offline 60wt

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 03, 2012. 07:32:35 PM. »
couldn't find a generic puller, some where someone said grind it so I did... pice O cake...used a 4" grinding wheel and ground the race pretty thin, took a dremmel and made a little slot then used a punch in the slot, tap with hammer and it cracked the length of the race then easly pried off with big screwdriver....Used old race and a bunch of big washers, original nut and slid on the new race...
May the bugs in your teeth always taste sweet...

Offline koko3052

« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 04, 2012. 06:49:34 AM. »
Ya gotta luv ingenuity! :beer: :beer:

"do what u gotta do!"  :chop:

Offline Templar2

« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 04, 2012. 09:33:51 AM. »
It appears that bearing issue is due to poor lubrication, anyone have an answer as to how to get more oil to that bearing?  Freind is working on it since he has had one fail at less than 20,000 to, I will post up his fix when it becomes available.

Offline iclick

« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 04, 2012. 11:23:11 AM. »
It appears that bearing issue is due to poor lubrication, anyone have an answer as to how to get more oil to that bearing?  Freind is working on it since he has had one fail at less than 20,000 to, I will post up his fix when it becomes available.

If it is a lubrication issue with the basic design of the primary why do some bikes not have problems?

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 04, 2012. 04:00:25 PM. »
Orientation of the snap ring that hold the bearing..

Max

Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline 176

« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 04, 2012. 06:46:57 PM. »
Mine went out at 20k on my 08 Ultra, started making the noise about a year before I changed it out. So about 16k when I started noticing the noise. Still seems to be noisy compared to my 02 Heritage which is still very quiet. I noticed it when in neutral with clutch out.
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

Offline Templar2

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 05, 2012. 11:19:53 AM. »
If it is a lubrication issue with the basic design of the primary why do some bikes not have problems?

Not sure, The guy that is working on this has been a machinist/auto mechanic for over 40+ years, he actually designed the Vega fix for GM (remember those) years ago, he now has turned his talents to HD's since he owns one.  So far he has some interesting ideas and the lack of lubrication at that bearing is one, some may get just enough, others maybe not enough, regardless I think he may be on to something so I will follow up with him soon.

Offline mariner227

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012. 04:15:46 AM. »
I had mine changed under warranty at 12k miles. 2010 FLHTCU. My dealer did not have the bearing or race in stock. Another dealer that is close to me had five sets. I now carry a spare bearing and race.
2010 Ultra, H-Q 107ST, 110 hp, 114 tq, TTS,  FM 2x1x2 Headpipe, slashup Jackpots

Offline Thumper Buttercup

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012. 05:14:59 AM. »
We checked ours last year and it was fine at 24,500 miles.

We were back in there to change our belt and pulleys and the
race had started to walk in enough that I could not get a puller
behind it and the bearing was shot.

I did get that puller/installer tool from the guy on e-bay and had
to cut the race with a dremmel to get a hold of it but with a little heat
it popped right off.  Used his two sleeves for the installer to put in our
S&S race and worked great.
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

Offline HD WOLF

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012. 05:56:45 AM. »
Just did mine 09 Ultra 22.000 mi. Broke the tool trying to get the race off they use red loctite on them.  had to cut it off with a dremmel.
you will need the right tool to get the new race on.
R P

Offline zoot

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012. 07:24:25 AM. »
I replaced mine last month on my 07 Dyna. Used a dremmel tool with a thin grinding wheel and a angle cut across the race (race had walked into the trans). Did not cut through the race and could not finish cut at trans side. Hammer and chisel and 2 taps and the race cracked and slid off. Zippers has a replacement bearing for this that does not use the separate race and the seal to match.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=822&prod=1889

Offline Templar2

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012. 09:28:44 AM. »
Did you use that one Zoot and if so, how is it working?

Offline zoot

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012. 06:50:29 PM. »
Yes  I got it from Skips speed & custom cycle in Winchester Va. So far everthing is ok.