Author Topic: Leinweber cams???  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Quad D

• Site Supporter
  • Livin' the Dream
Leinweber cams???
« on: Thursday, September 08, 2011. 06:14:38 PM. »
My indy holds this guy in high regard.  Speaks very highly of his cams.  I've never heard the name before him.  Any of you guys used them or know anything about the man/company???

http://www.leinewebercams.com/

Online 2tired

Re: Leinweber cams???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011. 06:26:38 PM. »
I have no personal experience with them, but I recognize the name as having been in the cam business for a long time.

Offline Dogbone45ACP

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011. 06:34:14 PM. »
Jim Leinweber was grinding cams when God was a mess cook. I ran several of his grinds in big inch shovels. They were runners.

Offline trex

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011. 06:43:10 PM. »
I ran a Leinweber cam on my 73 Shovel 30 some years ago, no head work and everything else stock and it ran like a hot 2 stroke, sorta soft on the bottom but hit hard up in the revs, I really liked it.

Offline Old Crow

• Site Supporter
  • N. Central Arkansas
    • Vince's Vintage Vehicles
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011. 07:22:23 PM. »
The guys over on the Shovel board love the guy.  Apparently you can call with a question about your build and get an answer from the man himself, right over the phone. 
Never heard a bad thing about his customer service and most everyone that has tried his cams seems to really like them.
"Pretty sure the answer is gonna be, "I am Groot!"

Offline Quad D

• Site Supporter
  • Livin' the Dream
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011. 07:28:51 PM. »
That's basically what my indy says about him.  For the shovels he makes some serious power is what I keep hearing.

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 02:52:38 AM. »
I run one of his low/mid range cams in my 93" shovel but he's not strictly a pan/shovel cam guy. My Indy said he tried a lot of different cams but kept going back to Leinweber for his evo drag bike.

Call the man, tell him about your build, your wants and needs.
Theryi're,
Take that ya grammar Nazis!

Offline prodrag1320

• Premium Vendor
  • AHDRA & AMRA national champion & record holder
    • vee twin racing
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 03:54:16 AM. »
we run a L61 in the nitro bike.his cams make some very good power,but are not easy on valve train
www.veetwinperformance.com
NITRO P/D HARLEY 7.14 @ 189/4.49 @ 167

Offline mor pwr

« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 05:35:57 AM. »
I run them in all of the TC 98 cu. in engines that I build. Alot of my friends have his cams in there Shovel's and Evo engines. I will be running his T7sg in my 117 cu. in engine that I'm going to be building this fall. Leineweber cam's are noisey, and if you use his cams use his valve springs. 

Offline dynaglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 05:40:36 AM. »
His cams are definitely not for the faint-of-heart; they make Bobby Woods' cams seem quiet as a church mouse by comparison.  If you hold one in your hand, it looks like it has square lobes...  But they certainly perform!

Offline trex

« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 09:38:40 AM. »
we run a L61 in the nitro bike.his cams make some very good power,but are not easy on valve train
  That is true about being tough on the valve train because of the aggressive ramp, I had a roller on a lifter go out because of that so you would have to stay on top of valve train wear and maintenance but it really was a performer.

Offline TheSwede

« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 01:21:36 PM. »
Hi guys,,
One thing to consider,, valvetiming is
measured at 0.020,, and the most other
manufacture use 0.053

Best Regards
TheSwede

Offline HHFLSTN

« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 06:34:23 PM. »
I had a E5S in my old 10:1 EVO fatboy, awesome cam and nice sound.

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 09, 2011. 06:38:30 PM. »
If you hold one in your hand, it looks like it has square lobes...

exactly what my indy said.
Theryi're,

Offline Mark222

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 10, 2011. 05:19:17 AM. »
Wow, just took a look at their site, and then their price list.  :hyst:  $240 for an Evo cam.  Really........... 

I was thinking for a moment I might try their E5S based on the description and earlier recommendation. I have huge CCP numbers with 10:1 pistons and .040 shaved heads. I was thinking that a later intake closing will bring the 245 PSI down a little (54 vs current 43 intake close). 

But at $240 that becomes a rather expensive experiment.  What I have runs great and pulls 85 TQ / 81 HP with a crane 290 cam.  But running this much CCP is worrying my after 25K miles or so.  Going to be doing lifters soon, thinking a different cam might be good to try at this time.

But $240 bucks..............

Somebody else better chime in and recommend them again for that kind of spend! 

Mark

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, September 10, 2011. 05:40:56 AM. »

Mark

Not sure if it's still his policy or not but when I talked to him about the L3S for my shovel a couple years ago he told me if I didn't like it send it back, no sweat.

Theryi're,

Offline turboprop

« Reply #16 on: Saturday, September 10, 2011. 11:09:10 AM. »
Wow, just took a look at their site, and then their price list.  :hyst:  $240 for an Evo cam.  Really........... 

I was thinking for a moment I might try their E5S based on the description and earlier recommendation. I have huge CCP numbers with 10:1 pistons and .040 shaved heads. I was thinking that a later intake closing will bring the 245 PSI down a little (54 vs current 43 intake close). 

But at $240 that becomes a rather expensive experiment.  What I have runs great and pulls 85 TQ / 81 HP with a crane 290 cam.  But running this much CCP is worrying my after 25K miles or so.  Going to be doing lifters soon, thinking a different cam might be good to try at this time.

But $240 bucks..............

Mark

It is all economy of scale. His cams are not for the masses and as such he has limited production. Machines still have to paid for. I think he prefers to cater an extreme niche market. He does not advertise, my guess is that is to keep away the sheeple. The guys that are chasing numbers will find him and will cowboy up the cash for one of his 'overpriced' cams. The masses can find theirs of the rack at Andrews, Harley, yada, yada, yada.

PS -I like that Crane 290 cam.
Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Offline HHFLSTN

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, September 10, 2011. 10:29:05 PM. »

Before I got the E5S I has running a EV51, was never happy with the EV51 soft bottom end and I had occasional detonation issues in 80-90F heat. Called Leineweber and told them about my set up and they recommended the E5S, what a difference vs the EV51, no detonation and the cam was pulling from idle. As mentioned earlier valve timing is measured @ 0.020 with very aggressive ramps.

« Last Edit: Saturday, September 10, 2011. 10:31:51 PM. by HHFLSTN »

Offline Mark222

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 11, 2011. 05:22:25 AM. »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  The reason I am considering is to find a little more bottom end.  The Crane doesn't get on the cam as soon as I would like, but is does a very good job and does not have any starting or detonation issues. 

Might need to give Jim a call to see what he says.  Don't get me earlier post wrong, I would happily pay the $$$ for something more than an experiment.  This is for my Super Glide, and it is not my everyday ride, so I am looking to increase the fun factor a bit if I can.

Mark

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 11, 2011. 05:24:18 AM. »
so I am looking to increase the fun factor a bit if I can.

and that's exactly the point where I get into trouble  :wink:
Theryi're,

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 11, 2011. 08:13:02 AM. »
I was thinking that a later intake closing will bring the 245 PSI down a little (54 vs current 43 intake close). 

At 10 to 1 you should not have any problems with pinging.. Not sure how you got to 245 ccp.. I'm running H290 at 10.8 to 1 and get only about 210-220.. As others have said you need to see what the event timing is based on the same tappet lift.. Later intake close is going to kill low end..

Max

Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline glock19

« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 30, 2012. 12:32:42 PM. »
I run a LEINWEBER E5S in an 89 inch fxr with a mikuni hsr 42 and 9.5:1. All i can say its a screamer. pulls like a freight train. im happy with it and not as noisy as i thought it would be.
 :smiled: