Author Topic: Bud Oil Cooler  (Read 3180 times)

Offline azrenegade

Bud Oil Cooler
« on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 06:01:46 AM. »
Anyone ever use one of these ?   :scratch:  Not inexpensive but a guy that builds planes should have a good idea about quality construction,

Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
Re: Bud Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 06:33:38 AM. »
I have one on my bike. Since I installed it, my oil temp rarely gets over 180 deg. Only down side is that it restricts your access to the oil drain plug. You can still get to it with a box wrench but not with a socket. Other thing to look out for is the oil filter mating surface. He has several options, I went with the black one. Unfortunately, he painted the surface that mates with the filter. After 5000 miles, the filter gasket becomes very "attached" to the adapter surface and it can be a real bitch to get the filter off. So if you go with the black one, I'd remove the finish on that surface.

Other than that, it works as advertised and will drop your oil temps by 40-50 degrees. If you have an oil temp sender in the pan, you will need to move it up to the adapter. There is a hole for it there.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline Big Dan

• Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 07:36:59 AM. »
Coyote,
Can you tell me how much pressure drop you experienced with that particular cooler? I'm working on a cooler for my stuff, and would like to be able to compare all of my stuff with as many of the successful, tested, proven products out there as possible. Thanks.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 08:11:16 AM. »
Coyote,
Can you tell me how much pressure drop you experienced with that particular cooler? I'm working on a cooler for my stuff, and would like to be able to compare all of my stuff with as many of the successful, tested, proven products out there as possible. Thanks.

Some as we know nothing added to the system is loss less.  :wink: Whether it's measurable,  :nix: . I ain't worried about it.  :crook:

Offline Big Dan

• Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 08:29:43 AM. »
Some as we know nothing added to the system is loss less.  :wink: Whether it's measurable,  :nix: . I ain't worried about it.  :crook:
So you're saying there's no significant loss if I'm reading you correctly? That's kinda what I'm worried about. Thanks.

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 08:36:26 AM. »
So you're saying there's no significant loss if I'm reading you correctly? That's kinda what I'm worried about. Thanks.

That's what I've always said in my posts and PM's Dan. If you wanna continue your little hissy fit over perceived injustices, please feel free to carry on back over on OFOPOS.  :up:

Offline Big Dan

• Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 08:46:19 AM. »
I was just asking a question. You needn't get so defensive.

As for OFOPOS, there's nothing on OFOPOS that isn't 100% true (and backed up with video evidence), and it's really none of your concern what gets posted over there. My suggestion to you, if you find anything over there to be offensive or objectionable, would be to contact management over there. Perhaps they'll remove it. I'm sure one of them may accomodate you.

If my simple questions to you about the Bud Oil Cooler are that objectionable or offensive, feel free to remove them.

Offline HV

• New Brunswick CANADA ( East Coast )
  • Administrator
  • 2013 FLTRX * Member Dec/2000*
    • HTT Admin
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 10:24:55 AM. »
 :banghead:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Offline Dennis The Menace

• 2010 FLTRX - Scarlet O'Hell
  • Past Admin
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 10:53:17 AM. »
I would think the loss on Buds cooler can be determined by calling him and asking.  Or, compute it yourself.

Δp = λ (l / dh) (ρ v2 / 2)         (1)

where

Δp = pressure loss (Pa, N/m2)

λ = D'Arcy-Weisbach friction coefficient

l = length of duct or pipe (m)

dh = hydraulic diameter (m)

ρ = density (kg/m3)

A look at pressure loss at various viscosities:

Offline chopper

• Past Admin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 11:14:02 AM. »
All's i unnerstan bout dat is dat chart sure has purty kolors....
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Offline Big Dan

• Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 11:24:55 AM. »
Dennis, I'm quite capable of calculating it, but thanks anyways. I was just wondering if, as an end user, Coyote had noticed any significant, measurable, pressure drop with the Bud cooler. Why all the hub-bub?

Offline HV

• Administrator
    • HTT Admin
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 11:36:25 AM. »
I believe Keith answered that a few time... NO... OK ?
Skype HV.HTT

Offline Big Dan

• Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 11:43:03 AM. »
It's okay with me. I just don't understand all the hostility. Time to take momma shopping. I'll try not to offend anyone.

Offline Big Dan

• Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011. 07:38:40 PM. »
I believe Keith answered that a few time... NO... OK ?

I was wondering all afternoon about all this hostility, and I can see where I messed up. In my post to Dennis, I should have said "Dennis, I'm quite capable of calculating it, but thanks anyways. I was just wondering if, as an end user, Coyote had noticed any significant, measurable, pressure drop with the Bud cooler, and he's already answered that. I was looking for actual, real world experience as opposed to calculations that I can easily do myself. Why all the hub-bub?"

My apologies for any confusion. Please return to your normal programming. If THIS post offends anyone, for God's sake, just drop the hammer and be done with it.

Offline HV

• Administrator
    • HTT Admin
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 06:22:42 AM. »
Thank You Dan
Skype HV.HTT

Offline akajjmon

• A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!!
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 06:45:59 AM. »
On a pressure gauge, did you drop any appreciable P.S.I. after installing the bud?? I have heard rumor of the underframe configuration being prone to "radiator fouling" any problems with road grime fouling the radiator fins??

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 06:49:25 AM. »
The oil bud is not like a conventional oil cooler. It's made from thick extruded aluminum (like a heat sink with internal channels). There's really nothing to plug or fowl. And unlike the conventional finned ones, it does continue to work even sitting still (albeit not as well).

Offline akajjmon

• A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!!
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 07:02:13 AM. »
The oil bud is not like a conventional oil cooler. It's made from thick extruded aluminum (like a heat sink with internal channels). There's really nothing to plug or fowl. And unlike the conventional finned ones, it does continue to work even sitting still (albeit not as well).

AH!!! got it!! have wondered about using heat sinks for cooling, but pretty pricey when I looked at it.
  and no appreciable loss of pressure?
cool.

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 07:16:03 AM. »
Don't know about the pressure. Never measured it. I have a Fueling oil pump which moves a lot of oil to start with. It's interesting to watch the bike warm up. It will slowly rise to 180 at which point the thermostat opens. In about 30 seconds, the temps will fall back to 150 or lower. Then it will slowly rise again to 180 and just hang there. I will sometimes get as high as 205 in slow traffic. Before, I was running 230-245 while cruising.

Offline hotroadking

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 07:25:25 AM. »
.............................. And unlike the conventional finned ones, it does continue to work even sitting still (albeit not as well).

How does it outperform a conventional cooler
when the bike is sitting still?  I would have thought the opposite as
its hidden under the hot engine and trans and would
be subject to the heat rise off the road while stationary

Everyone knows that  :wink: those of us with vertical mounts get the benefit of
cooler air from passing cars flowing through the
cooler as we wait on lights...  Therefore shouldn't
the vertical cooler be cooler? :hyst:

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 07:30:48 AM. »
I think simply due to the large surface area for passive radiation.

Offline azrenegade

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 08:32:52 AM. »
well, I'm not sure what all the back and forth was about  :missed: but I am more interested in the quality of the cooler.  Is it easy to install? Does it look well made considering it's at least twice as expensive as a HD or Jagg oil cooler?  Does the under-mounting get in the way of jacks and lifts.  It appears space is decreased during oil changes?  Could a stone or other road debris damage this?

I'm trying to spend my tax refund and I'm either thinking of this oil cooler or the baker +1 pan with a steering stabilizer system like bagger brace from bitchin baggers.

Either runs about $600, roughly-

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 09:47:31 AM. »
well, I'm not sure what all the back and forth was about  :missed: but I am more interested in the quality of the cooler.  Is it easy to install? Does it look well made considering it's at least twice as expensive as a HD or Jagg oil cooler?  Does the under-mounting get in the way of jacks and lifts.  It appears space is decreased during oil changes?  Could a stone or other road debris damage this?

I'm trying to spend my tax refund and I'm either thinking of this oil cooler or the baker +1 pan with a steering stabilizer system like bagger brace from bitchin baggers.

Sorry about the detour above. Yes the cooler is very well made in all respects. It's reasonably easy to install. If you go that route, be very careful to wire tie the wires up and out of the way. These wires and connectors are just below the regulator. If they contact the cooler, the fins will eventually short them to ground. DAMHIKT

There is no comparison with the Harley cooler I had on my 07 SE bike.

Offline TweekmyTwin

• Cheap SOB
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011. 02:22:54 PM. »

Sorry about the detour above. Yes the cooler is very well made in all respects. It's reasonably easy to install. If you go that route, be very careful to wire tie the wires up and out of the way. These wires and connectors are just below the regulator. If they contact the cooler, the fins will eventually short them to ground. DAMHIKT

There is no comparison with the Harley cooler I had on my 07 SE bike.
must be from experience,, :hyst:
Jim
Kiss What ?