Author Topic: Removing rear wheel on a Dyna  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
Removing rear wheel on a Dyna
« on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011. 05:04:47 PM. »
Is there any trick to this? I have the shop manual, and it looks straightforward to me. I'm trying to reduce dealer charges for changing a tire by removing and installing the wheel myself. Also is it likely that I'll need new bearings? Bike has about 45K. I don't have the gauge to check the play.

Thanks!
Going down that long, lonesome highway.

Online mayor

• Administrator
  • south-west central, Pee-Aye
Re: Removing rear wheel on a Dyna
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011. 05:15:02 PM. »
It's pretty straight forward, the biggest trick is they don't sit well on a bike jack.  you need to be carefull due to the oil pan guard. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 09:02:21 AM. »
It's pretty straight forward, the biggest trick is they don't sit well on a bike jack.  you need to be carefull due to the oil pan guard.
Not a problem. I use a J&S jack, and it works great and doesn't need adaptors.

Offline calgary56

• My You Tube Videos
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 03:42:40 PM. »
Hmm, I have 179,239 miles on my bearings, no issues yet.
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Offline hogsty

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 11:07:29 PM. »
Sealed bearings are supposed to last for 100K.  Get the dyna lift spacer kit from Harley.  It consists of plastic pads that clip onto the frame of the bike and lift it higher to protect the oil pan.

Offline Ridetard

« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 07, 2011. 02:41:19 AM. »
Wait until your next tire change.

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 07, 2011. 03:29:41 PM. »
Sealed bearings are supposed to last for 100K.  Get the dyna lift spacer kit from Harley.  It consists of plastic pads that clip onto the frame of the bike and lift it higher to protect the oil pan.
OK thanks a lot. I guess I'll wait until next tire change.
My J&S lift works without spacers. It just slides right under. The rails are wider than other lifts.

Offline f-x-d-w-g

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 09, 2011. 04:49:47 PM. »
Well, since nobody really described removing the rear wheel, this is what I've been doing for the past 10 years:

Put the jack under the swingarm shaft.  I use a scissor jack.  Raise the jack just so that it's snug against the bottom of the shaft.

Remove the lower shock bolts and rotate the shocks out of the way.

Remove the belt guard.

Remove the two aft bolts from the debris deflector below the belt and swing the deflector out of the way.

Remove the axle.  If the exhaust is in the way, jack the bike up or down as needed for clearance and you won't have to remove the muffler or pipe.

Jack the bike way up.  The tire stays on the ground.  Slip the belt off the sprocket and roll the tire out.

Using a dull or smooth tool, spread the brake pads.  This will make reassembly easier.

Reassemble in reverse order.  Note that, since you didn't mess with the belt adjusters, there's no adjustment required.  :wink:
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Offline 82fxrstroker

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 09, 2011. 06:10:10 PM. »
 :agree: That's the way I also do mine, very quick.

Offline dynaglide

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011. 01:42:19 AM. »
first time you take the rear wheel off, reverse the axle so that the nut is on the exhaust side.  That way, you don't have to worry about the exhaust for future tire changes, etc.

Offline bigblock6912

• 84fxrs 04dyna lowrider
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011. 06:23:19 PM. »
+1 for reversing axle direction

Offline Kirbo

• 2004 Road King Custom
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 09:00:04 AM. »
WOW, you guys really get involved, on my Wide Glide I just break axle nut loose while on ground yet, put lift under frame and jack up so wheel is off ground an inch or so. Loosen belt adjusters same amount of turns and push wheel assembly forward. Pull axle out and lower wheel to floor with hand. Jack bike up another few inches and I will have enough room to slip belt off of pulley. Roll assembly out. To re-install just roll assembly back in, hook up belt, slowly lower bike so brake disc is close to pads, re-install spacers and spread brake pads with long screwdriver. Pull assembly up into place and slide axle back in. Tighten belt to previous position and tighten axle with torque wrench. Works everytime! I do have upper and lower belt guards too and no problems.
Ride Safe

Offline f-x-d-w-g

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 09:49:00 AM. »
Yup, the way you do it works, too!  But, after doing it your way a few times, I elected to go the extra steps of removing those 6 bolts and I have a LOT more room to do the work.  Don't have to mess with the adjusters, either.

Removing the belt guards is not necessary, but it makes room for my hands to get in there.

Removing the lower shock bolts is not necessary, either, but it allows me to leave the wheel on the ground (actually the lift table) so I don't have to lift and hold the wheel while installing the axle, spacers, etc.

At my age (almost 63) I'd rather do it in a way that's easier for me even with the extra steps.  My Dad always said (and still does!) that there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Choose the way that works best for you!  :bike:
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 11:05:05 AM. »
The steps you guys mention are basically the same as in the manual, but the extra tips you gave are much appreciated. I'm assuming I can just take the wheel with the rotor attached to the dealer for tire change/balance and runout check. I guess I'll defer the the bearing endplay for the next change after I save enough money for an American made dial indicator.  :wink:

Offline f-x-d-w-g

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 01:19:17 PM. »
Yes, you can take the wheel with disk and sprocket attached to the dealer to change a tire.  You might call around and find that the local metric dealer or Indy will give you a better price if that's important.  My latest Metzler rear tire was too stiff for me to mount with tire levers so I took it to the local Ducati dealer.  Much closer to home than the Harley dealer.

As to bearing end play:  (I know I'm gonna get hammered for this)  It's never been checked on my 2004 wheels and they've got 97,400 miles on them.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Offline runamuck

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 02:44:16 PM. »
ditto what Kirbo said..I do both my bikes..pull the wheel..take to two wheel world or cycle gear. they dont charge much to mount and balance tire..I always mark axle location before removal so as to get same alignment..

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 05:10:50 PM. »
I called a metric dealer, and they said Harley wheels don't fit in their balancing machine. They quoted $20. I'll try Cycle Gear tomorrow. I didn't know they mounted tires. I'm pretty sure local Harley dealers charge an hour labor at $88/hour. I don't think the dealers charge less than one hour for anything.

Thanks.

Offline Trouble

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 06:01:22 PM. »
Biggest problem I encountered during first rear tire change('04RK) was the axel stuck, had to have rust buster soak and even then an experienced buddy held the punch while I repeatedly struck the same with a sledge hammer until we won. Sanded and anti-seized that sucker with nary a problem since. Thought it was piss-poor factory assembly work. (I don't ride in salt)Rant over.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Offline Kirbo

• 2004 Road King Custom
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 09:00:56 PM. »
Trouble, I think your name says it all, LOL. Just kidding. I'm dreading having to remove my swingarm to check bearings. Its been on there since 1996. I hear the shaft corrodes to the tranny!
Ride Safe

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 09:14:09 PM. »
Put the jack under the swingarm shaft.  I use a scissor jack.  Raise the jack just so that it's snug against the bottom of the shaft.

I use a regular jack, so I assume you mean to lift the bike just until it tilts vertical off the kickstand. The rear jack beam contacts the frame directly under the swingarm bolt, but it is not against it.
-Thanks-

Offline Kirbo

• 2004 Road King Custom
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011. 09:22:35 PM. »
Thats what I use, a regular motorcyle/atv jack. Just gotta balance the bike so when you remove the rear wheel assembly the bike doesnt take a header.
Ride Safe

Offline f-x-d-w-g

« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 14, 2011. 08:01:49 AM. »
Edit - Maybe we're just miscommunicating.  I put the jack under the frame member where the swingarm bolt passes through.

I use a regular jack, so I assume you mean to lift the bike just until it tilts vertical off the kickstand. The rear jack beam contacts the frame directly under the swingarm bolt, but it is not against it.

Nope.  I use a Blackjack scissor jack that I glued a piece of rubber floor mat to the lifting face.  I raise it up until it contacts the swingarm shaft and while holding the bike upright with one hand, raise the jack by hand until it contacts the bike.  It'll hold the bike level without supports.  I add just a touch of lift to be sure the bike is supported, then remove the axle.  After that I jack the back end of the bike high enough that the back wheel is easy to remove without a lot of maneuvering.  Al of this is if I'm working on the floor.  More likely the bike is on the table lift and supported by the front wheel clamp and ratchet straps so I don't need to worry about steadying the bike while jacking the back.

Dan
Tijeras, NM

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 14, 2011. 08:23:44 AM. »
I guess I'm just dense, but there doesn't appear to be any way I can use a jack to contact the swingarm bolt directly. The bolt sits directly above the brake cylinder, and below the starter, and the frame is several inches below it. No jack would fit in there to contact the swingarm bolt. I have a lowrider. Is it possible the WG is different?

Offline f-x-d-w-g

« Reply #23 on: Friday, January 14, 2011. 08:41:06 AM. »
 :embarrassed:

Nah...  You're not being dense.  I just got up off my lazy azz and went out to the garage for a look-see.  It's the frame member where the left side passenger foot peg mount is bolted.  Don't know if it's the same on a low rider or not but it's a horizontal steel tube in front of the back tire.

Sorry for  the confustion.   :embarrassed:
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Offline Jim Bronson

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Friday, January 14, 2011. 09:12:54 AM. »
Yes, it's the same for the lowrider. My jack's rear beam contacts the frame just ahead of that cross member. It sounds like the point is to take just enough weight off the wheel so the axle bolt can be removed and then jack it further, roll the tire forward to remove the belt and roll it out. I'm assuming the pads won't press together when the rotor comes out of the calipers, so all I have to do is to spread them as far as I can with a soft tool. I find it hard to believe dealers charge over 130 bucks in labor for this (including tire mounting).

I'm not quite ready to change it yet. I'm going to compile this thread into a Word document and use it for reference along with the manual.

Thanks again.