Author Topic: 1997 CALIFORNIA CUSTOM ROCKET 88  (Read 2157 times)

Offline rayfeldt

1997 CALIFORNIA CUSTOM ROCKET 88
« on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 02:44:44 PM. »
Does anybody know anything about these bikes?  It has a 88" S&S motor in it.  One of the young guys I work with is looking at it.  They only want $5500 for it and I am wondering if it is a good deal.  My idea was for him to look at a mid to late 90's Heritage.
Thanks,
Ray

Offline kickstart

Re: 1997 CALIFORNIA CUSTOM ROCKET 88
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 03:15:27 PM. »
Does anybody know anything about these bikes?  It has a 88" S&S motor in it.  One of the young guys I work with is looking at it.  They only want $5500 for it and I am wondering if it is a good deal.  My idea was for him to look at a mid to late 90's Heritage.
Thanks,
Ray

I googled it and saw what it looks like
chromed out softail custom, not bad
1- it aint a Harley - no big deal
B ,it's priced the same as mid 90's HD's - OK with me
lll. if it's clean - then wtf go for
4 it's an S&S man!!!
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

Offline NETacomaFatboy

• http://www.frat-party-sluts.com/carli-banks/gas-station/05.jpg
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 05:04:41 PM. »
I may get grief for this, but I hope your buddy does not want to tour with this bike.  If he breaks in the middle of nowhere, HD will not touch the bike...

Offline kickstart

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 06:49:11 PM. »
I may get grief for this, but I hope your buddy does not want to tour with this bike.  If he breaks in the middle of nowhere, HD will not touch the bike...

HD wont work on evo's either :nix:
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

Offline Ed Y

• Retired Navy, MCPO Kokomo,MS
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 08:06:45 PM. »

No big deal. There are more indy shops out there than there are dealers anyway.

Offline Blazing Saddles

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 08:58:10 PM. »
I recall that there were some concerns about the frames.  I believe the dude that ran this company went on to be part of one of the Indian revivals and they had some frame issues as well.  As others have stated, a HD dealer may not want to touch the bike but there are lots of good independents.  Two years ago while on a Canadian border to Mexican border run, I needed a front rocker box leak fixed (it was bad) and the dealer in Tuscon refused to work on my bike. Screw'em!

Blazin'
"SF - FS"  Springers Forever - Forever Springers

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 10:58:32 PM. »
I owned a 99 CMC rocket88.. It was one of the units last off the line so it was titled as an Indian.. Sold it to a guy for 4500 with 45000 miles on it.. You can simply dump the smog cam and it will smoke 90% of the 95 TCs out there.. Things to watch out for.. It needs a dynatek ignition.. Thunder-harts of the time had problems.. The James head gaskets they used sucked and would blow at about 15K.. (Cometics work well here).. If it has the 3 piece covers from CCI, you'll need to dump them and get some SnS... Also the Russell rotors are crap and wont last.. Other than that  :wink:. it's a solid bike..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010. 11:02:38 PM. »
I recall that there were some concerns about the frames. 

It was more the swing arm than the frame.. Some of them had problems snapping the shock bolts off.. Not sure what the issue was as I did not have this problem.. And I rode mine hard enough to ding the front rim a couple times.. Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline mc9395

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 15, 2010. 11:07:57 AM. »
Go for it. Its no different than touring on a 90's Harley. Most dealers dont know how to work on something that old or just wont.  Find you a old time Indy who,s good at all ages of Harley's although they are getting less and less  of them. Good Luck