Author Topic: Ultima rocker box top cracked  (Read 2105 times)

Offline TAD

Ultima rocker box top cracked
« on: Monday, August 30, 2010. 08:46:57 PM. »
I installed the 100" Ultima engine in a 1990 FLHTCU about 4 years ago. Been very pleased with engine and have put around 8 to 10 thousand trouble free miles on it. Notice a leak from the front rocker box. As I dissassembled it I notice the rocker box top cover was cracked from a "blow" from within. The front rocker arm (valve stem end) has contacted the rocker box hard enough to crack the box. The bile has the stock ignition module so rpm's have not exceeded the 5,250 limiter. Bile ran fine wiyhout any unusual noises, just the oil leak. What caused the "contact"? Nothing broke with the rocker arm, support, etc. Maybe the lifter is weak and on valve closure allowed the rocker arm to make contact. Or, maybe the valve (front exhaust) is sucking up into the head. Need suggestions, past experieces, etc. Appreciate everyone's assistance. I have attached photos.[/img][/img][/img]

Offline TAD

Re: Ultima rocker box top cracked
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 30, 2010. 08:50:45 PM. »
other photos

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 30, 2010. 09:01:05 PM. »
The pix in the zips  ,  can you check the pic in your 2010_08_32.zip and repost ?

Offline TAD

« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 30, 2010. 09:27:50 PM. »
repost

Offline TAD

« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 30, 2010. 09:30:04 PM. »
try again

Offline PaJoe

• 1990 FLHTCU located near Harrisburg,Pa
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2010. 01:29:02 AM. »
We have our Ultima 113 about 2 years now in our 1990 FLHTCU , maybe 15,000 miles. Two different Ultima lifters went bad as well as problems with the rocker supports & rockers and I also replaced the cam. I replaced one lifter, rockers and rocker supports at about 10,000 and by 12,500 miles a second lifter was bad so I replaced all 4 & the cam. When I posted for help concerning mine I got the following advice concerning possible clearance issues:

"When you reassemble make sure that you have at least .060" clearance between all moving and non-moving parts in the rocker boxes with the cam on the heel and on the toe (full lift). If the rocker arm is hitting the cover or the lifter block it will destroy the lifter in no time at all. We use a little modeling clay to check it. Then use a quality assembly lube, this is one of the reasons we pull our engines apart and check them. Sitting around and being shipped can dry out critical areas. Hope this helps"

on edit: I still have not found a cause for the problems I had with our 113, but at least these days my used oil analysis reports are much better than before.  I just changed to Harley (18523-86B) lifters in the rear cylinder ( first bad lifter was in the front cylinder) to see if I could notice any difference, but I don't expect to send in another oil sample until close to the end of the riding season. It may be my imagination, but the cylinder does seem quieter with the Harley "B" lifters, but it's still too early to get an idea what is happening.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 31, 2010. 01:55:43 AM. by PaJoe »

Offline jsachs1

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 31, 2010. 06:02:23 AM. »
Imo,it's possible they never milled deep enough in that area(clearence). :embarrassed:
As the valves started wearing the seats(slightly),and rocker to shaft wear,it compounded the not enough clearence area.Kinda like "the Straw That Broke The Camel's Back".
John

Offline TAD

« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 06, 2010. 12:41:55 AM. »
Thanks "paJoe". I guess I will contact Ultima and see if they will at least help with replacement rocker boxes. If I understand correctly the new "revised" boxes have more clearance.

Offline PaJoe

« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 06, 2010. 06:18:25 AM. »
They say Ultima is good for help even outside of warranty once you get to talk with them, but I never was able to talk with them on the phone and with email I got one response asking where I live. Now if you lived close to someone like Jsachs1, not only would it get fixed right, he would probably get immediate response concerning any warranty help from the people at Ultima as he is well known as the best, most knowledgeable person that works on Ultima engines. 

Offline hrdtail78

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 07, 2010. 02:49:54 PM. »
Their "new" boxes are clearanced more than the old style.
Semper Fi

Offline TAD

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 07, 2010. 07:20:39 PM. »
Thanks Hrdtail78. Now if I can locate a customer service # as I haven't gotten a response to an e-mail.

Offline TAD

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 07, 2010. 07:45:05 PM. »
Do I need new complete boxes or will the new lids alone provide the needed clearance? Maybe jsachs1 can answer that as he does a lot of Ultima work.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 07, 2010. 08:40:54 PM. »
Good luck getting a hold of a customer service rep. Even if you call you'll be asked to leave a message. Last time I did it I waited about a week. Came in from the shop and found a message asking me to call back and leave a message.

Offline TAD

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 08, 2010. 01:47:47 PM. »
I agree. Customer service? What customer service! Ordered new rocker boxes for $299.00.

Offline TAD

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010. 06:19:53 PM. »
Two months later and I and I am still waiting on rocker boxes. They are back ordered. I was really pleased with that engine but after this ordeal, my opinion has soured!

Offline PaJoe

« Reply #15 on: Monday, November 15, 2010. 02:12:57 AM. »
I understand how you feel, when I needed to replace the lifters and rocker supports in mine I order all the parts I needed including the cam and I called Jireh to make sure all the parts were in stock. It was a great time for riding and I wanted to get it back together so I paid $70.00 extra for the expedited shipping and started tearing everything down knowing the parts would arrive in 2 days. Everything came but the cam, and that was the worst part to get to on a bagger with lowers etc. I called to complain because I paid expedited shipping after I confirmed everything was in stock and the lady told me "well, you got some of your parts"  They finally gave me a $25.00 credit on the shipping cost for the cam. It was an important lesson, up to then I thought they actually knew what their inventory was, but now I know they have a separate group take care of orders and they do not have an accurate inventory of the warehouse.

I also learned that even though they say they will inform you when a back ordered part is in stock, they do not always inform you. Eventually, I got the cam. If it is a part I think I may need I will order it ahead of time and have it ready to go. They are cheaper to deal with, but you give up some of the other services for the cheaper prices and that is not bad as long as you understand it ahead of time.

If you have been waiting two months, I would contact them, my guess is they forgot about your order.

Offline TAD

« Reply #16 on: Monday, November 22, 2010. 04:09:44 PM. »
Called Jireh, backordered. Called Frontier Cycle who had them on ebay, backordered. Call Ultima, they say, call retailer! I guess you do get what you pay for. Now where is that S&S catalog?