Author Topic: S&S stroker kit  (Read 2497 times)

Online TAD

S&S stroker kit
« on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 01:28:40 PM. »
I acquired a 1947 rigid with a 1976 shovelhead engine. Seller stated it had a S&S stroker kit in it. Upon disassembly I discovered it has the 4-1/2" stroker from S&S along with an Andrews "C" grind cam. The pistons (S&S) have plastic plugs on each end of the piston pin instead of the clips as a means of retaining the pin in place. Is the normal? On the S&S website their stroker kits show the usual clips.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
Re: S&S stroker kit
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 01:40:52 PM. »
My current mill is an S&S long block 93"er, 4.5 stoke. Yes it has the teflon buttons.
Theryi're,
Take that ya grammar Nazis!

Online TAD

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 02:26:35 PM. »
Thanks for the reply. So I should reuse them, right?

Online TAD

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 02:28:23 PM. »
76shuvlinoff, what bore is your 93"?

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 02:45:06 PM. »
Here's where my ignorance comes busting out in plain sight but without going and checking the paperwork I am going to say 3 5/8.

edit, yep 3 5/8 and now .010 over that.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 02:48:29 PM. by 76shuvlinoff »
Theryi're,

Offline rbonner

• QRO PowerTek
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 03:20:20 PM. »
Everytime you remove slugs from a motor with teflon buttons you should replace them.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Online TAD

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 03:23:24 PM. »
with new teflon buttons? or new clips? Sorry, I just want to be sure I understand.

Offline Old Crow

• Site Supporter
  • N. Central Arkansas
    • Vince's Vintage Vehicles
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 03:29:42 PM. »
When I redid the top end on my 4 3/4" S&S stroker the pistons came from S&S with the new buttons.  Buttons are so much easier to deal with than clips.
Bob, at one point before I redid the top end, I removed the cylinders to do the base gaskets.  Never removed the pistons from the barrels and reused the buttons without incedent for another 15-20k after I put it back together.  Did definitly use new buttons with the new pistons, though.
"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmic debris?"

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 05:12:19 PM. »
When those buttons first made the scene they were blamed for scoring the jugs. I've had this one apart twice in 22,000 and never saw evidence of scoring from the buttons.
Theryi're,

Offline rbonner

• QRO PowerTek
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 25, 2010. 08:00:37 PM. »
Right, they are a good thing and don't score the jugs.  They first made their way in Top Fuel car racing.  Extremely easy and fast to install.  When you remove the pistons, toss and use new.  Honestly, I'd have to think twice about using them on a street motor, they are a hot rod part.  My new stroker kit from S&S came with Cerclips or spriral clips the ones that make a little more than a complete circle.  Those are High Performance units also.  They won't pound out.

But the teflon wears quickly...  It's good for that 20,000 mile range a Shovel is usually good for before top ends, so it is seldom an issue.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Online dablaze

• Site Supporter
  • Motorfool
« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 26, 2010. 04:47:49 AM. »

And remember that there are different depths of plugs.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Offline easyricer

« Reply #11 on: Monday, July 26, 2010. 05:03:28 AM. »
If you have ever had a circlip break on the road and grenade your motor, you'd fall in love with those little plastic buttons! Another one for the "don't ask me how I know" file!
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Offline prodrag1320

• Premium Vendor
  • AHDRA & AMRA national champion & record holder
    • vee twin racing
« Reply #12 on: Monday, July 26, 2010. 05:36:41 PM. »
the teflon buttons are way better than clips,and can be used over & over again with no problems.have used them in uncountable drag & street motors for over 25 years with 0 failures
www.veetwinperformance.com
NITRO P/D HARLEY 7.14 @ 189/4.49 @ 167

Offline Hillsidecyclecom

• Retired
  • Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010. 04:10:53 AM. »
When those buttons first made the scene they were blamed for scoring the jugs. I've had this one apart twice in 22,000 and never saw evidence of scoring from the buttons.

Heard that rumor as well back in the day. Didn't put much stock in it.
Iron XL strokers had/have aluminum buttons.
Never witnessed either cause a problem.
Scott
"If I parrot or google information, folks will suspect I really know."

Offline stick931

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010. 05:14:15 AM. »
I've seen the scoring once, and only once with the teflon buttons, and it was on one of my own motors many years ago, and it was my own fault. I had the cylinders bored and honed, let the guy gap the rings and have it all set up so when i picked it up I could just build the top end (used to work on the road alot then and didnt have alot of extra time), well he assured me all was good to go so I didn't check any thing. At 173mi. one cylinder started smoking bad, the other a little,tore the top back off and there was DEEP scores where the buttons touch the walls on both cylinders! now we know teflon can't scratch steel ,so a call to S&S asking WTF solved the mystery, the tech listened to the symptoms and said "you just get the cylinders honed?" yes,"well you know you need to wash the honing  material out good from the cylinders or it'll embed itself in the buttons and continue to hone with every stroke right"? shit.. a call to the machinist, asked if he didn't wash everything when he got the stuff done, he couldn't remember, but was sure he did, yea right! took another .010 over to clean it up and now I take NOTHING for granted, I still use the buttons but I'm anal as hell about cleaning them cylinders.Stick

Offline hollywood63

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010. 07:09:56 AM. »
I'm anal as hell about cleaning them cylinders.Stick

I hear ya..............I use the powder that Total Seal sells. After honing and cleaned with hot soapy water dry the cylinder and rub a small amount of the powder if it turns black clean again and repeat til it turns green. When it turns green there is no debris in the cross hatch. You'd be surprised at how many times you need to clean a cylinder before its "Clean"