Author Topic: Evo Crank seal Sprocket side. Lip towards Flywheels or Primary?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Traveler733

Evo Crank seal Sprocket side. Lip towards Flywheels or Primary?
« on: Saturday, July 17, 2010. 07:20:23 PM. »
Doing a friends Stator and Regulator replacement. Noticed the lip and garter spring on the cranks seal is visible from the primary side. That, to me seems wrong. The oil seal lip and spring should be towards the side we need to keep the oil in.
 Any thoughts?
 This was just back from a dealer for an oil leak at primary. It was still leaking and they didn't get the regulator ground wire tight. Fried the stator...

Offline harleytoprock

Re: Evo Crank seal Sprocket side. Lip towards Flywheels or Primary?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 17, 2010. 07:26:56 PM. »
The spring should be visible from primary side.  The crankcase is under vacuum and therefor pulls the seal tighter in this position.

Offline Traveler733

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 17, 2010. 07:33:28 PM. »
That does make sense, now that I think about it... Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  :beer:

Online Dan89flstc

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 18, 2010. 05:11:17 AM. »
I know everyone says that the springs should be on the outside, but mine is installed with the springs on the inside, has been working fine since I installed it (60,000 miles since rebuild).

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 18, 2010. 12:52:51 PM. »
The below is cut from Tech Tips 36  Oct '93 , and is for XL Models.  I don't know they ever released a TT reversing the seal on the Evo's.