Author Topic: FLH front wheel  (Read 1158 times)

Offline tyson1989

FLH front wheel
« on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 12:36:18 AM. »
Does anyone have a good diagram showing the front hub and speedometer drive for a 87 FLH.  Since replacing the rubber we have had problems with the speedometer drive twisting.  We think we are missing a spacer on the left side, but cannot find a diagram that is any good and shows the speedo drive. :scratch:

Thankx Eric :smiled:

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
Re: FLH front wheel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 02:54:32 AM. »
We think we are missing a spacer on the left side, but cannot find a diagram that is any good and shows the speedo drive.

Below is from '91 but is the same as your '87.   The Speedo Drive is always shown in the PM's with the instrumentation.   

« Last Edit: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 02:58:50 AM. by Fatboy_SirGarfield »

Offline Rags722

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 09:45:53 AM. »
Not to be real picky, but I don't understand why this was moved from General to EVO.  Seems to me it is chassis/wheel related rather than motor specific.  While SirGarfield did provide a blow up and parts list, someone else may have had better or clearer photos, and since it is chassis/wheel related would have had more exposure in the original posting location.  Just asking so I understand the logic.

Offline JohnS_Rosamond

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 11:44:59 AM. »
When I find a bike that it having trouble twisting off the end of the speedo drive, I look first for the angle at which the drive is installed.  Sometimes when tightening the axle nut, the drive will turn and you'll end up with a sharp angle where the cable goes in.  However, the last time that mine broke, I was not by a dealer and had to buy a kit for a '68 Camaro (it was a cut-to-fit universal).  I only used the inside (drive) part of the cable.  Anyway, this seems to be a much more robust speedo drive and has been the longest lasting unit I've had.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 12:01:05 PM. »
don't understand why this was moved from General to EVO
It wasn't moved, Tyson1989 had posted in General at 17:35:39 and then in EVO at 17:36:18. I posted "refer your post in the EVO Section" in the General Thread and locked it, then posted some Parts Info into the EVO Thread.  This way all replies will be in the same thread not mixed and or duplicated between boards.  Makes sense to me.

Offline Rags722

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 01:48:27 PM. »
OK, makes sense now.. I didn't realize it was a double post.  Thanks for the quick answer!

Offline tyson1989

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 03:43:53 PM. »
Thankx for the diagram Garfield.... Unfortianly it is clear as mud :wtf:   After a good nights sleep and no beer  :smile:  we had another crack at it.  We both decided that a spacer on the speedo side was left out when he, my buddy, had his tire mounted and bearings packed..  He seamed to remember a spacer of some type on the tire machine and questioned the guy and was told "That's not yours".  Of course he didn't watch him take it appart.  That's when all the problem started.

So we found some thin spacers in his stash of parts and stacked them under the drive so that it cleared the rotor.   So after over a year riding with him going 80mph everywhere,  that's where his bike runs the best.  Maybe he'll slow down....NOT!!!

Thankx for the view.

Hey Garfield if you have a view of the speedo drive and related parts w/part nos.  Could you also post that for me??  I would appreciate it!!

Eric :smiled:

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010. 04:02:37 PM. »