Author Topic: Best Lubricant for Leather Riding Jacket.  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
Best Lubricant for Leather Riding Jacket.
« on: Monday, April 19, 2010. 09:35:41 PM. »
What's the best lubricant for a leather riding jacket?  Mine is as dry as a bone.  Been using Harley's leather care which is good on my chaps and gloves, but the jacket needs help.  It doesn't need color or liquid protection, just deep natural (not synthetic) moisturizing.  What do you recommend?  Thanks very much.

Offline harleydave51

• Why be normal?
WTF, Run amuk
89 FXRS
MASShole

Offline Grumpy9

Re: Best Lubricant for Leather Riding Jacket.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 12:03:31 AM. »
Mink earl!

Offline boooby1744

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 01:06:34 AM. »

Offline maicoman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 04:31:40 AM. »
LEXOL  you can find it on the shelf in publix supermarkets in the dog/horse supplys.

Offline GARYD

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 06:14:46 AM. »
I've been using Hein Geraick leather cleaner/conditioner for 15 years since that's the brand jacket I've owned for that long. It looks exactly like Harleys leather conditioner, which I also have. It/they do a great job. I hear Lexol is also a good product. Check to make sure it contains lanolin.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Offline dmdrider03

• 2003 FLHTCUI / 1949FL
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 06:54:07 AM. »
Olive Oil
Had a leather jacket custom made back in the 70's and was recommended by the leather craftsman; been using it since. Good conditioner

Offline the Grump

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 09:14:27 AM. »
My wife bought me one a couple of years ago, because she didn't like the SMELL of my old one. She said it smelled like oil. I said, and your point? The new one is like a suit of armor. Stiff as a board. I barely wear it, now my 18 took to wearing my old one. Will any of this stuff soften it.

Offline kik

• 00' FLHTC Elgin, IL.
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 10:18:16 AM. »
WD-40 Conditions leather also. It does a great job. It also removes adhesives from patch work and if you have removed sewn on patches it will also help hide the needle marks.
Kik

Offline hotroadking

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 11:16:43 AM. »
The best place JMO to get leather products is at a Tack Shop, price out a new saddle and other leather goods and you'll thank your lucky stars that you are not buying that kinda stuff..

Horse leather saddles can get into the mid thousands of dollars for shows, so I figure
they know what works and tack shops carry everything you need to protect, clean and soften leather..

The Leather cleaner from Leather New is fantastic, it not only cleans
but softens the leather, here is a picture of the bottle, I used it to clean up
my 10 year old Heritage bags, and to soak the leather to get it pliable in order
 to put the saggy bags kit in, without it you'd never get the kit in the darn bags.

(BTW if you have a newer Heritage, get the darn saggy bags kit when the bags are new
and fit that thing before the leather shrinks and needs a ton of work it's a PIA)

The balsam has water repellents in the mix, so not only will it make the leather
better looking it helps it shed water,

Here is a link to some online Tack shop, I haven't bought there, I get it locally, plus we
ride Iron Horses so why not a tack shop, my bags, leather corbin seat etc all look brand
new now..

Linkto Products

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 11:45:52 AM. »
Thanks for those suggestions, I appreciate them.

kik, I'm intrigued by the WD-40 suggestion.  I have great regard for it for its usual uses.  Would you mind telling me more about the way you use it as a conditioner?  For one does it leave the smell?  Thanks very much.

Offline mkd

• Site Supporter
  • tail of the dragon 2011
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 06:28:38 PM. »
picards has a hugh line of leather care products.i just bought their leather lotion and their shoe and boot oil.the leather lotion was recommended to me for  coats and chaps and the shoe oil for my leather bags and fringe.haven't got either  yet. have been using lexol for boots and all the leather on the springer and it has worked well.great for new boots to soften them up.apply the stuff with a 1" paint brush.

Offline deathwish

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010. 06:32:56 PM. »
Duh, 3 qts. of Mobil 1! Oh you were serious? Neatsfoot oil works great and has been around forever. HD does have a waterproof/mink oil type  they sell that is real greasy when you put it on. Let it sit in the sun and it sucks right into the leather.

Offline Tollbooth

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010. 01:30:03 AM. »
 Neetsfoot oil. Get back to the basics. Lexol leaves wax residoo.(sp).

Offline L-

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010. 04:30:15 PM. »
WD-40 is just about perfumed kerosene, but go ahead.  One of the best out there is Obenaufs.  I use it on saddles, chaps, holsters, belts, jacket and my Wesco boots.  No mess and it works.

http://www.obenaufs.com/

Offline HD WOLF

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010. 05:59:31 AM. »
Ditto on Obenaufs Good stuff :bike:
R P

Offline 02 Ultra

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010. 06:36:52 AM. »
Yep Obenaufs
02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

Offline Ptroc

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010. 06:53:24 PM. »
Not a protectant but to soften that stiff leather I have used shaving cream.  Used to use it on Baseball mitts and the leather lacrosse heads.

P

Offline Milehog

• killer sperm
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010. 08:21:05 PM. »
If the leather is dry neatsfoot oil or Lexol helps to rejuvenate it.
Obenhauf's is good for adding water resistance and-or maintenance.
Proud IBA member

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010. 09:59:54 PM. »
Since the jacket is a Firstgear, I thought I'd ask them.  They recommended Nikwax Leather Restorer, but only sell through Firstgear dealers.  Being inquisitive I called Nikwax to be sure this is for lubricating dry jackets.  The very pleasant lady in customer service said it was and she uses it on her upscale purses.  I don't have too many upscale purses, but I thought I'd try it and asked who stocks the item, as they don't sell to end users.  She gave me two names in my state.  As it turned out neither had it in stock.  I called the lady back and she said for my trouble she was going to send a bottle no charge.  We're talking $14-$15 here---nice lady, very professional.  I'll report back to you how it does.  BTW, Nikwax is an ISO certified company, so they must have something going for them. 

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php

Offline mkd

• Site Supporter
  • tail of the dragon 2011
« Reply #20 on: Friday, April 23, 2010. 03:42:11 AM. »
received my picards order in two days and have used the leather lotion on my leather hat and gloves with great results!makes them baby bottom soft with no oily or greasy residue.it is safe for even white leather. will be using it on my jackets next.the boot and shoe oil will soften stiff and cracked leather but does leave a slight oily residue.i used it on my 5 yr old work boots as well as my ll bean guide boots. i have used lexol for over 10 yrs and am realy impressed with both picard products.

Offline Dennis The Menace

• 2010 FLTRX - Scarlet O'Hell
  • Past Admin
« Reply #21 on: Friday, April 23, 2010. 04:18:46 AM. »
I dont use anything anymore.  Too many of you old biker fuggs figure me a RUB because of my shiny looking old jacket.  lol

Seriously, I use the HD product, but it seems to only last a month or two before the jacket needs another drink.  I have some Lexol for the cage and bike seats, may have to try it on the jacket.

menace

Offline hrdtail78

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #22 on: Friday, April 23, 2010. 07:04:20 AM. »
Parade gloss by kiwi.
Beer taste w/ a beer poketbook     Semper Fi

Offline kik

• 00' FLHTC Elgin, IL.
« Reply #23 on: Friday, April 23, 2010. 07:32:09 AM. »
Thanks for those suggestions, I appreciate them.

kik, I'm intrigued by the WD-40 suggestion.  I have great regard for it for its usual uses.  Would you mind telling me more about the way you use it as a conditioner?  For one does it leave the smell?  Thanks very much.

Evo160k, I've used it on leather seats, jacket, gloves...ect, ect. Yeah it does leave that WD smell. I wouldn't hang my jacket in the closet with other coats. They say that there is over 2000 uses for WD40. Here are some from their website.

All Categories & Functions
12 uses found.

•Spray old leather shoes and the leather will become soft and pliable
•Removes glue from leather
•Removes paint from leather
•Removes coffee stains from leather
•Removes ink stains from leather
•Soften stiff leather sandals
•Softens stiff leather sandals
•Helps break in leather gun holsters
•Lubricates leather gasket of Coleman stove
•Removes stiffness from dried out leather gloves
•Softens stiff leather dog collars
•Stop squeaks caused by new leather work boots
The uses of WD-40 described on this website were provided to WD-40 Company by end-users of the product, and do not constitute recommendations or suggestions for use of WD-40 by WD-40 Company. These uses, including the "Use of the Day," have not been tested by WD-40 Company. Consumers should exercise common sense whenever using WD-40. Always follow the instructions and take heed of any warnings printed on the
WD-40 packaging.

Offline crazylore

• Vaginaterian
« Reply #24 on: Friday, April 23, 2010. 07:40:51 AM. »
If u use WD40 on leather does it become flameable :scratch:
96FLSTF       04FLSTFI 95"