Author Topic: Bionic Pumpkin, and FYI on earlier FXR and FLT transmission availability  (Read 3036 times)

Offline JohnS_Rosamond

Bionic Pumpkin, and FYI on earlier FXR and FLT transmission availability
« on: Saturday, February 20, 2010. 08:02:15 PM. »
Hello fellow cyclists,

I have been so busy at work that I can't quite keep up.  Sorry that I haven't had time to check in.  However, I thought I would tell you that I have gutted most of the drive out of the old FLHS and am putting in 2001 5-speed transmission gears (to get the splined shaft) in a 1990 transmission case, and 1994-1998 primary drive, with a 2005 twin cam clutch.  The transmission was due to have the bearings replaced (and I'm so OCD that I obsess over the reinstallation of the tapered shaft clutch waaaay too much - and don't trust anyone else to do it).  Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have had the worst time trying to find a 1990-1994 transmission case (starter ear difference from what I had).  Distributors say that they have them, but when you call about availability they tell you "no," or it's outlandishly expensive (try $500) without the trap door.  I was finally able to (believe it or not) get a new Harley case, from Harley for a competetive price. 

Do you remeber that old Johnny Cash song about stealing Cadillac parts?  Well, that's my bike now.  What years it?  1988, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2005.... 

A few pictures here http://rides.webshots.com/album/181857787ykeozh
Then look for the last three pictures.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 20, 2010. 08:46:42 PM. by JohnS_Rosamond »

Offline Dan89flstc

Re: Bionic Pumpkin, and FYI on earlier FXR and FLT transmission availability
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 04:50:17 AM. »
John, why did you have to replace the transmission case?

Offline hightop

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 06:21:58 AM. »
While you're mixing and matching parts, try to get a late model shift drum assy. with the roller bearing detents, probably find one on ebay cheap from someone who's gone to a 6 speed.

Offline JohnS_Rosamond

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 10:57:59 AM. »
The new clutch basket has a different tooth count than my old clucth, so wont take my old starter.  I'm replacing the inner primary completely, and it's not set up for the old starter either.  The transmission case hole (where the starter goes) is not the same size (too small) for the late model starter that I'm gonna use.  If I'd a had a 1989 bike, it wouldn't have been so bad, but '88 just wouldn't cut it.  Also, the thing has so many miles on it (and had trouble with the original 2-piece pivot shaft) that it looks like the pivot shaft hole is no longer completely round.

On the shifter drum.  The 2001 gears that I got came with the shifter drum, which was nice - even though it looks like someone beat the main shaft with a hammer.  So, I'm replacing the mainshaft too.

Thanks for the interest.  I'll post some pictures as the thing come back together.  Also, I'm looking at the Custom Cycle engineering spherical bearings for the swing arm.

Offline harleytoprock

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 02:56:56 PM. »
John, You can change the tooth count on your clutch basket. I went from the 102 to the 66. Switching the ring gear is a piece of cake. Use red locktite on the bolts that replace the rivets.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 05:18:20 PM. by harleytoprock »

Offline Traveler733

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 03:19:11 PM. »
John; Change the shift shaft bushing and 3rd gear adjuster stud up to new style while you're there. Use a new double lip oil seal on shift shaft too..
 :beer:

Offline dave_9113

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 06:22:30 PM. »
John and all,

I was thinking about upgrading to a main tranny spline shaft on the '89 bagger.  I thought I would get a 90-98 evo tranny gear set and drop it in the case, then change out to  a newer clutch basket.  Would this be a solution, or am I missing something?  Do I need the whole matching inner primary? 

I haven't really thought hard about making the switch because it's a stock bike and the key-way shaft could handle that with no issues. 

Offline JohnS_Rosamond

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 07:15:58 PM. »
Harleytoprock; I couldn't keep my stock clutch since I had a tapered shaft and was going to a splined shaft.

Traveler733: Thanks for the input.  I'll have to look through the box and see exactly what parts were sent.

Dave_9113: Your transmission case, inner and outer primary, and starter should be fine (If I remember correctly).  I think it's 1990-1993 for your starter jackshaft, then it changes from 1994-1997.  So you are correct about the year transmission gears 1991-1997 (1990 was a one-year only change).  If you get a later than 1993 clutch, you will probably have to change the ring gear of get an adpater to run the new starter jackshft.  I'm a little new at the mix-and-match game, but this is what I understand at the moment with mine.  If I had a '89 - like yours - I would have been ahead of the game a little.

Offline dave_9113

« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 22, 2010. 11:57:54 AM. »
Thanks JohnS.  I'll keep that in mind.  Good to have you posting again. 

dave

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 22, 2010. 03:48:01 PM. »
John and all,

I was thinking about upgrading to a main tranny spline shaft on the '89 bagger.  I thought I would get a 90-98 evo tranny gear set and drop it in the case, then change out to  a newer clutch basket.  Would this be a solution, or am I missing something?  Do I need the whole matching inner primary? 

I haven't really thought hard about making the switch because it's a stock bike and the key-way shaft could handle that with no issues.
Dave, I replaced the gearset and trapdoor on my `89 Softail with parts from an `99 Bagger.

I went with a `90-`93 clutch, in order to keep the primary gearing and the starter gearing the same.

`90-`93 clutch shell has a 37 tooth primary sprocket, and a 66 tooth starter ring gear, same as your `89. You can use a later model clutch assembly, but they have a 36 tooth primary sprocket which may also require a change in compensator sprocket size.

You will probably be changing out the comp sprocket anyway, no sense not changing all the primary parts since the bike is 21 years old.

The later model clutches also have a different size starter ring gear on them. No big deal there, you can change the pinion gear on the starter , or if you want to keep the 9/66 starter gearing, you can change out the ring gear on the clutch shell.

I think most  folks that are running bigger engines or high compression prefer the 9/66 starter gear arrangement.

As John mentioned, when looking for a gearset, find one newer than a 1990, (the `90 mainshaft only fits that year).   Ideally you would want to find a gearset and trapdoor from an `98 or later 5 speed, as these units used larger ball bearings in the trap door.

As far as the gearsets go, don`t mix and match parts from one year gearset to another.
Don`t let my rambling on  make you nervous about doing the gear swap, it is really a plug and play swap.

Offline harleytoprock

« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 22, 2010. 05:02:20 PM. »
John. On my 87', I swapped a later splined gear set with main shaft. All I changed was the clutch and the gear set. I had to change to a 66 tooth ring gear on the 97 clutch basket that I used. I would have a used a 1990-93 66 tooth basket but I had the 97' basket and it had the 36 tooth chain sprocket that I wanted. And that was it. Same starter, jackshaft, inner primary and trans case. :scratch:
« Last Edit: Monday, February 22, 2010. 05:05:03 PM. by harleytoprock »

Offline dave_9113

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010. 12:24:53 PM. »
Dan- good information.  Thanks.

Offline JohnS_Rosamond

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010. 05:54:20 PM. »
Harleytoprock:  I had heard a few (admittedly 2nd hand) stories of the older bendix not always meshing well with the later model ring gear (even one with the appropriate tooth count).  On top of that my inner primary was damaged twice (before I got it) by front pulleys that came off.  So this is an excuse to start over again.  I was told that I could go the route that you did, but I wanted to make sure that everything worked well, and I didn't want to take a chance.

Offline harleytoprock

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010. 06:38:33 PM. »
John, I guess I've been lucky as my 87' bendix  works flawlessly. Harley did  use that set up for many years. I'm sure your going to use the later trans pulley, spacer and seal. Its alot stronger than the early. Good Luck and have fun!