Author Topic: Badlands turn signal auto cancel module  (Read 1955 times)

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
Badlands turn signal auto cancel module
« on: Friday, January 15, 2010. 09:45:53 PM. »
I just installed one today and figured I would give a quick report on it. The module is small, 3 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/2 thick. Installing took a bit of trial and error because of my turn signals are wired as running lights with dual filament bulbs. But after a while of connecting and re connecting I got it . I did call tech help in Sparks, Nevada and I got a lot of help which cut down on my installation time.
For newer factory bikes they have plug ins to avoid splicing nightmares like mine.

Once its connected it gives you 11 seconds of steady flash and then self cancels, or you just press the switch again to shut it off.  It was around $60.00 and I think well worth it. I like the idea of having my hands free.

Well there ya have it.
John

Offline gryphon

Re: Badlands turn signal auto cancel module
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 15, 2010. 11:02:43 PM. »
I've been running the same module in my own bike for about 6 years or so. In my son's bike for about three.  They also have a built in equalizer in case you want to run LED's and pushing both signal buttons at the same time turns them into hazard flashers. Never had a problem. Ever. Last year I also installed one of their modules that turns the rear turn signals into running and and brake lights. From my experience their stuff is top notch. From my experience I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Offline bericuda

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 15, 2010. 11:48:15 PM. »
yep, gotta agree-good stuff......

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 16, 2010. 12:16:22 AM. »
Yep, they have a large assortment of modules and all different plugs from some of the crazy years of wiring changes from the MoCo. I understand they will custom make a plug for you if you send the corresponding end.

I'm glad to hear you have been running them for so many years. This is not something I want to do every season. I ran a dedicated power line from my accessory switch with a 15 amp fuse but it keeps blowing so I will up it to 30. Same for my starter relay I just installed.
John

Offline gryphon

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 16, 2010. 06:39:55 AM. »
I'm running a 15 amp fuse to mine too but I'vwe never had one blow. I run the colored plastic ATC fuses. I set mine up in a stainless fuse panel that was designed for offroad dunebuggys and such. The fuses have LED's that light up when the fuse blows and make it easy to find the culprit. Got a picture of it below. That's it just behind the oil tank.

Offline rbonner

• QRO PowerTek
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 16, 2010. 10:16:01 AM. »
I've had a couple of those modules.  Both my purple bike has an early module of some type.  MIght just be a balancer for some early LED lights on the bike.

The wife's chopper has one.  The first one blew up.  and they had to replace.  BUt there has been so many wiring issues on that bike I don't know where to start or end...  So the problem was probably the builder's fault.

Rudy, you need to figure out the high current spot, you dont want to be hanging 30 amp fuse on that...  MAybe your headlight is wired into that circuit by accident.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 16, 2010. 02:45:02 PM. »
Gryphon, is that a drain line going straight down? Nice idea. Clean oil changes.

Bob, I shouldn't say I keep blowing them, I blew two and it was during my testing with the power on and off. So I went to 25. I told the rep I was running it directly from my 30 amp main at first and he had no comment but then I though 15 is more reasonable but its too soft even for my starter relay. I think 25 is safe. Even that is off a 30 amp breaker. I don't have anything wired direct.
John

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 17, 2010. 06:31:40 AM. »
Curious about other thoughts on breaker size for these modules.
John

Offline easyricer

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 17, 2010. 07:43:57 AM. »
Badlands is normally top notch stuff but a few years ago when I was building a bike that I wanted to eliminate the tail light on and use the turn signals, I ordered one of their modules. I got 2 bad modules in a row. Neither one did the job. So I wired it up differently. I got no support from Badlands on it.
 For that reason alone I run KuryAkyn modules or Biketronics.
 I'm glad to hear that ya'll are havin good luck with them.
 EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 17, 2010. 08:37:21 AM. »
EASY, too bad about that. I had a pretty good customer service experience and the module does work perfectly. What breaker size do you use?
John

Offline gryphon

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 17, 2010. 09:09:33 AM. »
Rudy,
 My son and I  have both been running 15 amp fuses for so long that I can't see any reason why you would need to run anything higher. Niether of us has ever tripped one of them. Regarding badlands customer service. When I wired in my second module to control the rear brake/running/turn lights I wanted to wire mine so the running lights could be turned off durring the daylight (easier to tell when the brake or signal lights are on on a sunny day). I called and told someone my idea for the wiring. He called me back about a half hour later to say he had quickly kinda drawn out my schematic idea and talked to one of the other guys and they agreed that it would work with no problems. I thought that was cool that they took the time to do that. Yes, that is my oil drain. It runs down behind the tranny to a small ball valve. Open the plug and the oil drains into a turkey pan.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 17, 2010. 09:26:39 AM. »
Rudy,
I gotta agree, 30amps for a lighting circuit it telling me something ain't right. The wiring can't handle 30amps, probably not 20 either, something isn't kosher.

I'm not understanding something, your starter relay is somehow involved with your lighting control??

Mark
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 17, 2010. 09:29:38 AM. by 76shuvlinoff »
You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success.     Act like it.

Offline hotrodshovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, January 17, 2010. 12:17:45 PM. »
No Mark starter relay is a dedicated line also, both come off a 30 amp fuse, but I have popped 15 amps on the starter for some reason so I figured I will just go up a few. Both are still protected by the 30 amp they are fed off of.  The module I popped twice but I was soldering and fooling with open ended wires so its very likely it popped because of me just being careless. I guess I will leave the 15 in the module but the starter relay seems to need a bit more.

Gryphon, I dig the detail of a long drain line. It'll be done.
John