Author Topic: Best year/model FXR?  (Read 7953 times)

Offline Reddog74usa

• "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
Best year/model FXR?
« on: Sunday, December 20, 2009. 12:56:24 PM. »
What do you think is the best all around year or model for the FXR including the Shovels, 99's and 2000's? Some are better handling while others have more technical upgrades.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 20, 2009. 01:37:46 PM. by Reddog74usa »
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline harleydave51

• Why be normal?
Re: Best year/model FXR?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009. 05:58:17 PM. »
I've owned my 89 FXRS since 93 and I love it. The starter for this year is a one of a kind though. They changed to the one piece starter wth the solenoid built in, then in 90 changed it again with a different solenoid. I went to replace it (starter) but Harley said it was obsolete. I guess you can use a new starter with some minor mods. I had mine rebuilt. Other than that I have over 105k miles and just your regular repairs.  Best bike I have ever ridden.
WTF, Run amuk
89 FXRS
MASShole

Offline RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 21, 2009. 05:55:16 AM. »
I don't think that there is a bad year for FXR's.  The frame is mostly what makes them.  That being said, though, I would imagine that the newer the better.  Production ended in 1994 but the early CVO bikes in 1999 and 2000 benefitted from the latest and last versions of the Evo motor.  The 2000 model FXR4's also had dual discs up front and the newer style forks and front wheel with sealed bearings.

Offline FXRocket

« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 21, 2009. 06:27:41 AM. »
I tend to think the post 1991 is the way to go, that gives you more updated starter and transmission shafts.  I prefer the splines over the tapered, and I guess the head breathers are a bit better (?) than the bottom breathers.

Offline baldoldfxr

« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 21, 2009. 11:29:10 AM. »
 :duel:  I'll disagree the early one's ( mines an 86) are brilliant ! the bottom end breather is simple & works, the tapered mainshaft/ clutch should'nt cause problems if assembled properly , they have a proper clutch operating arm like a Harley should &
are built to do a job IE handle well & be fun to ride without any frills or added knick knacks that dont need to be there,  :gob:

Offline SnS107

« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 25, 2009. 06:44:39 AM. »
Mine is a 1986 FXRD. I have swapped four different engines in & out of it, but there really was nothing wrong with the original when I swapped it out at around 52,000 miles. It now has 96,000 and, with exception of aftermarket clutch, altered gearing and Spyke starter is pretty much original as far as the rest of the drive train is concerned. (Of course that only leaves the tranny  :smile:
Still has the original rear swing-arm bushings and drive belt, which I probably should change before long.
Far as I can tell, 1986 was a pretty good year.
Joe

Offline hardtail84

« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 25, 2009. 07:31:53 AM. »
My bud just picked up a 91 fxrs convertible with 21k on it for 5grand. It is a bottom breather. What clutch does a 91 have? I could look it up but if anybody knows it would save me the bother. This bike is unmolested except for a tank repaint and se mufflers. Did we do good?
It'll fit, just hit it harder!

Offline Mark222

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 25, 2009. 08:18:17 AM. »
Hardtail,

Just opened up my buddy's recently bought 90 FXRS to change the belt.  It has the splined trans shaft that replaced the tapered type, same as my 91 bagger has. 

Mark

Offline hardtail84

« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 25, 2009. 08:25:45 AM. »
Thanks for the info. It sounds like the 91 has a good combination of things going for it.

Offline MiketheBike

« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 25, 2009. 04:48:05 PM. »
I think they all have their strengths and weeknesses. Mine's an '89 and perfect for me other than it had the porous crancase problem which affected some bikes in that year. The earlier engines were stronger in the crankcase but you have to settle for the smaller (and drfinitely less affective) brakes and the skinnier forklegs with slightly reduced high speed handling. On the other hand the '91 to 94 had a lot of good gear on them but the crankcases were prone to cracking between the tappet blocks if you try to build too much power. The 2000 models had the best of both worlds but I don't like head breathers and they are comparatively rare to find. On the hand the '84 shovels can't be beat for "cool value" if you don't mind less power and a bit more maintenance. I love 'em all. Went for a ride with my friend who just got a brand new FXD 95" through a lot of twisty stuff and thought that his bike had nothing over mine. Still very happy with my (almost) 21 year old ride.

Offline Tattoo

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 26, 2009. 12:31:19 PM. »
I had a 1984 EVO FXRS, 5 speed tranny, chain drive with a dry clutch. I ran it hard for ten years and it never let me down.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Offline ridemyEVO

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009. 05:38:10 PM. »
My buddy has the 87 fxrc and the bike is bullet proof, we cruise 70-85 mph all day long.
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage

Offline BikerJim44

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 28, 2009. 01:37:16 PM. »
Another really cool thing about the FXR's is that with very minimal mods you can retrofit a twin cam with tranny into them. There are a lot of them who have done this with great results. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

Offline Mark222

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 28, 2009. 04:49:07 PM. »
Spidey, what minimal mods are required?

Mostly curious, but you never know.  Recently had TC Engine and Trans offered to me from a total loss (Rear ended) for $2K.  15K miles.

Mark

Offline BikerJim44

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009. 10:56:07 AM. »
Mark, I have seen it but can't remember all the details. I know you had to slightly modify the cross memberunder the frame and there were a couple of other things you had to do but it was pretty simple. Let me research it. I've got a friend I can ask and if Codysho/ Ray sees this he may be able to elaborate a bit too because I think he got to study one a bit more intently than I did. Ray, what say you? Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

Offline Buddy WMC

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009. 11:00:08 AM. »
Ya might want to check with Reddog, I think he's done this conversion on one of his bikes.

Offline Reddog74usa

• "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009. 03:00:33 PM. »
Mark, The TC in a FXR is fairly simple. You must  use a touring engine & trans set up and if you use the 01 and back it bolts right up to the oem FXR swing arm pivots. If you use the later set up with the lager pivot shaft you will have to ream out the trans mount to fit the larger pivot shaft. You will have to remove the crossmember on the frame that the side stand mounts to as it gets in the way. I used a side stand from a early FXE and it worked well. You will have to remove the rear crossover and lower it to clear the oil pan. I left enough of the original crossover on the frame so that I could drill holes in them to mount the lowered crossmember. To lower it I just used spacers and bolted a piece of steel plate up to the mounts. With the thicker steel it was stronger and since it was bolted up it made it easier to remove the oil pan in the future. You will also be removing the oem oil tank as you will not need it since you will be using the oil pan that comes with the TC set up. I welded up a plate to cover the void and it also worked out very well. If you are going to run mid controls you will want to weld up a mounting block on the right side and use dyna foot mounts as theres not a lot of room for the oem FXR right side foot peg mount. Forward controls are the easy way out however I prefer the mids. To wire it up you will need an engine control harness from say a 99 or 00 touring bike Carbed and match it up to the components needed by using the wiring diagram. There all color coded and simple to match up. Thats about it. I can tell you it's a very worth while project. Mine turned out to be exactly what I was shootin for. Handled great and rode smooth. I used an Underground performance build that produced 117 Tq and I think like 107 HP. the FXRS-SP looked stock (sleeper) and was a blast to ride. Here a pic.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 29, 2009. 03:13:53 PM. by Reddog74usa »
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline hardtail84

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009. 05:01:47 PM. »
Why did ya get rid of it, if I may ask? That looks like a really cool ride to me.

Offline seattledyna

• now in Placerville, CA. "gold country"
    • Mikes Hawg Paint
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009. 01:59:31 PM. »
you know...if you left the oil tank in the FXR you could cut the top off of it and have a real nice "glove box" or tool storage area :wink:

Offline Reddog74usa

• "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009. 04:13:57 PM. »
I like that idea  :agree: Maybe not the tank but the space is there for a custom made compartment.  :wink:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline seattledyna

• now in Placerville, CA. "gold country"
    • Mikes Hawg Paint
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009. 04:47:40 PM. »
hinge the top of the tank and it would be "super secret" :teeth:

Offline Reddog74usa

• "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009. 05:09:32 PM. »
That would be scary Mike. On a good Saturday I might just pour oil all over the stuff in the "Secret Stash" during an oil change LOL!!!!! Very cool idea :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline mjdart

« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 04, 2010. 08:51:30 AM. »
I think this one was good looking "disc" FXRDG

I also liked these two I rode quite abit at York & Lake George.