Author Topic: wattage increase for aux (passing) lights  (Read 2841 times)

Online slypig

• Site Supporter
  • '10 Road King, '04 FXD Panama City Fl
wattage increase for aux (passing) lights
« on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 08:13:56 AM. »
Has anyone replaced their stock aux (passing) light bulbs with ones of increased wattage? I think the stock bulbs on my road king are 25 watts.  I would like to go to about 35 watts.  Coments please.

Thanks
Slypig
Panama City Fl

Offline nc-renegade

• Enjoying life
    • Harley Hog
Re: wattage increase for aux (passing) lights
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 08:51:18 AM. »
Has anyone replaced their stock aux (passing) light bulbs with ones of increased wattage? I think the stock bulbs on my road king are 25 watts.  I would like to go to about 35 watts.  Coments please.

Thanks

I am just the opposite.  I'm looking at going to LED lighting to lower my overall wattage due to alternator burden.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Offline iclick

« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 09:53:31 AM. »

I installed 37.5w lamps on my '96 RK along with 80/100w headlight bulbs and had problems with the 15A breakers.  The passing lamps are connected in-line with the low-beams and a 35w lamp (70w total) will add about 6A to that circuit.  Newer bikes use fuses but there is an easy fix.  I simply added a common automotive relay with the low-beam being the trigger and the battery providing the power.  I also added a 15A in-line fuse to the cable attached to the battery.  That took almost all the amperage away from the lighting breaker and solved the problem, which worked fine for about eight years 'til I sold the bike.  I kept the on-off switch in line too, which worked just like stock.  When the low-beams and the switch were on the passing lamps were on.  If the switch was off or high-beams in use the passing lamps were off.  Also, since you will get >13V at the battery and only about 12V at the low-beam wire you will notice a difference in light intensity, although it will likely reduce the longevity of the bulb since halogen bulbs don't like running higher than 12V.  OTOH I don't recall replacing either of my passing lamps in the time I had them installed.  They were halogen sealed-beam bulbs from CCI (#15085).  They also make a 50w version but I think that may be stretching the envelope a bit.  These are "pencil-beams" that don't diffuse the light much, but provide an excellent boost to the "seeing distance" when using low-beams by throwing the light straight down the road in a narrow beam. 

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 11:34:17 AM. »

What year is your bike? The '05 and earlier used sealed beams and you can find up to 50 watt bulbs that fit right in, except the wire ends may need to be changed. On the '06 and up bikes HD went to a lense with a replacable halogen bulb. These you just replace the bulb and it is easy to go to 50 watt bulbs on these too. You can order the '06 and up lighting to fit the older bikes, just a matter of pulling the sealed beam, and swaping in the lenses and bulbs. It comes in a kit from HD for about $70, but the bulbs are the lower wattage.

With my '05 Ultra, and now my '10 Ultra the first thing I did was to bump up the passing lights, also I wired the passing lights so they were on all the time, good boost in lighting if you ride at night often.
Like the other poster said the your RK lighting circuit may not be able to handle the increased load, but it is fairly simple to add a relay and pull power form the accessory circuit, or run a wire right from the battery.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline truck

• HTT Rocks
  • Administrator
  • HTT member since 9/25/2001 Alburtis, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 11:44:45 AM. »
By all means don't run all those high power lights through the Hi-Lo switch on the handlebar, the switch might take a crap like mine did and then you'll need to limp home using the four ways for lighting. And that sux!
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Offline Scooterfish

« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 11:54:24 AM. »

What year is your bike? The '05 and earlier used sealed beams and you can find up to 50 watt bulbs that fit right in, except the wire ends may need to be changed. On the '06 and up bikes HD went to a lense with a replacable halogen bulb. These you just replace the bulb and it is easy to go to 50 watt bulbs on these too. You can order the '06 and up lighting to fit the older bikes, just a matter of pulling the sealed beam, and swaping in the lenses and bulbs. It comes in a kit from HD for about $70, but the bulbs are the lower wattage.

I asked a similar question awhile back on my 05. You can get a 35 watt std lamp at tractor supply or auto store for about $10 each.I decided to go with the Harley 06 halogen above with 20% off at $54. With the  replacable halogen bulb I should come out better in the long run
Northern Indiana

Offline ULTRADOG

« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 11:55:16 AM. »
TRUCK
 i used the switch on my roadglide and currently using landinglights that really light up the road i used a bosch relay and it doesnt phase the charging system at all i run at 4am everymorning my ride to work is 126 miles yes a long way and 126 home it sucks but the pay is good  so they are on 2 hrs every morning and been on for 6 mo. so far trouble free
                                                                                            bill
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

Offline ULTRADOG

« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 11:57:07 AM. »
i will have to check the part # on the box but i work for freightliner and we are a g.e. dealer these bulbs were only 9 bucks a peice
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

Offline Ram

• If it was easy someone else would be doing it!
    • Image of Bike
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 03:35:02 PM. »
Have '06 FLHRI, came with plastic passing lamp assy's with 881 bulb (or something like that) only 35 watts each.  I upgraded to the older style lamp assy for H-3 bulbs and installed Sylvania Silverstars.  They are bright suckers at 55 watts each. Lots of glare too. Have been concerned about total amps draw, so tried H-3 LED's from e-bay.  They are only bright to look at but don't cast much light at all. But on the good side they are not drawing anything to speak of either. 

Have H-D HID head lamp assy with H-8 hi-beam, the HID low is so bright you can't even really tell your hi-beam is on except if you look way down the road on a no street light country road you can see the spot of the hi-beam. Also have hi-beam to come on and leave lo-beam on, so that is not helping. 

Have been looking into going for true HID's into the passing lamps.  You don't want the LED's yet, they are just not up to luminance out put for anything but show at this point in their development.

I've been thinking of Martin Fabrication for the passing lamps HID lighting.  I've e-mailed them and they have a lamp assy the is to fit the stock passing lamp. This link does not show it. Its just the link.

http://www.martinfabrication.com/Martin_Fabrication/Motorcycle_Driving_LIghts.html

'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

Offline frito1

• In the armpit of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 07:29:07 PM. »
Has anyone replaced their stock aux (passing) light bulbs with ones of increased wattage? I think the stock bulbs on my road king are 25 watts.  I would like to go to about 35 watts. 

I've been running H7616 sealed beams for ~50K miles without issue on my '01.  They're advertised as 37.5 watt.  The bulbs I run are not fluted and put a lot of light on the road.
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

Offline RainDodger

• 2005 Ultra
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 08:18:04 PM. »
If it's more light you're looking for and you don't want to mess with the installation of a relay and heavier wiring, Daniel Stern (http://www.danilesternlighting.com) recommended his Osram 65W70 H4 bulb for the headlight. He said it's compatible with stock wiring. I've got one ready to go in, but I'm waiting for my present bulb to blow first.

I can tell you though, that they do put out significantly more light that any 55W/60 H4 bulbs. I run them in an otherwise stock Toyota FJ Cruiser (which has little weenie headlight wiring) and have had no issues. It might be something to try, although it's not specifically what you asked. Sorry if I got the thread off-track.

Roger

Offline boooby1744

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 23, 2009. 10:16:50 PM. »
Has anyone replaced their stock aux (passing) light bulbs with ones of increased wattage? I think the stock bulbs on my road king are 25 watts.  I would like to go to about 35 watts. 

I've been running H7616 sealed beams for ~50K miles without issue on my '01.  They're advertised as 37.5 watt.  The bulbs I run are not fluted and put a lot of light on the road.
good choice...   http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/sealed_beam_specifications.htm

Offline frito1

• In the armpit of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009. 04:44:16 PM. »

good choice...   http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/sealed_beam_specifications.htm

I'm also running a Hella e-code with a Silverstar bulb.  I got plenty of light.
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com