Author Topic: EV-23 Andrews Cam & Torrington Bearing?  (Read 7232 times)

Offline elvislee

• 2000 Fxr4 (Sarah)
Re: EV-23 Andrews Cam & Torrington Bearing?
« Reply #25 on: Monday, April 20, 2009. 09:41:04 AM. »
Oke ,....at first : sorry for my poor English , I'm from Holland ...
I own a '93 EVO FLSTC ,  I've done a few easy modifications : Crane Hi-4 single fire ignition , Arlen Ness "big sucker" air cleaner , carb re-jetting , sportster needle , adj. puhs-rods , EV-23 cam + bearing , steel breather valve , hydr chain tensioner in prim, S&S oil pump.
The reason why I've chosen for an after-market cam , was just due a lack of bottem-power , when I drove my bike with a passenger. ( I don't like too skinny women ,  :wink: ).
I did also my home-work , and was asking around ,...my greatest fear was for a cam-upgrade what could turn out in a noisy valve gear on acount of sharp grinded cam angles.
My first option was finding an early type original L-camshaft ( mine was an N-type ) , but I could not buy or order it here , so I compared the spec's of the L-type with the EV-23 , and they were almost semilair except for the lift-height which is a little more for the EV-23.
That's why ......
As I already mentioned , it operates very silent without clicking noises , and the carb is still easy adjustable for low rpm idling . ( I run it without the VOES ).
The engine is now for 3 years in this configuration , never had any problems or what ever up till now. :up:

Poor English? Hell man, I'm from Alabama; yours is probably better than mine  :hyst: Well thanks man for the backround on your selection process and your cam history; Its always cool to hear why and how someone chose to do any kind of mods on their bike.

To be honest man, I still in the back of my head keep thinkin of wantin to go with the 23 but that other little voice keeps tellin me the 27 will cover anything I may need in the top end. If I decide later the 27 ain't for me then I can always change over to the 23. So the 27 it is. Enjoy your ride man and ride safe man...Blaine

Offline Ironheadmike

« Reply #26 on: Monday, April 20, 2009. 10:05:02 AM. »
In my opinion , I know, opinions are like a$$holes... , but I like the Woods 6 . More torque and If you want to bump the comp . It will handle it better than the 27 .

Offline elvislee

• 2000 Fxr4 (Sarah)
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009. 12:24:40 PM. »
Was looking at a Screamin Eagle Catalog today and saw the SE Cams. Anyone know anythng on these? I noticed for example the SE-3 has numbers Identicle to the Andrews 27 all tacross the spec board (I/O, I/C, E/O,E/C, Overlap, In Dur, Ex Dur, In LC,Ex LC, LSA) except the I and E lift on the SE-3 is 0.503 vs the EV-27 at 0.495 and the SE-3 In Lift TDC is 0.185, Ex lift TDC is 0.169 while EV-27 I lift is 0.182 and Ex lift is 0.166. I ain't thinking about the SE-3 as I am going with the 27 but curious as to any huge difference between the two when all the numbers are either right on or so close. I also don't know  :wtf: these numbers mean for the most part; anyone care to help me out  :up:

Offline 7ender

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009. 07:56:38 PM. »
buy the old stock L-cam ,.....there's one on e-bay for sale at this very moment for 25 bucks,....for sure it does'nt effect idling , ....because all other cams do more or less .
What is your cruise speed anyway ,...70 miles/hour ?
Here in Holland is 80 m/h allowed ,....and I think that is unhealthy for a H-D evo , to keep it constantly on that speed  :smile:

Offline RKC03

• not your grandpa's Harley-Davidson
    • Photobucket
« Reply #29 on: Friday, April 24, 2009. 03:27:29 AM. »
I had the cam bearing crap out on me...caught it early....my Indy knew that I was leaning with the EV27, but he insisted the EV23 would suit me better, have more lower end grunt, which it does....and I am impressed with the increase in power.....now with all this talk, I'm wondering just how much more I would have gained with the EV27.....gets up to 90-95 dang quick, and I don't need no stinking speeding tickets. My 96 FXSTC is 80" with stock heads, V&H Big Radius pipes, free-flowing air cleaner and jetted carb. The cost of the cam seemed reasonable....maybe in a year or two I'll do head work and go with the EV27 then.....the soft tail now runs strong....maybe not as strong as the 95" RK, but given the difference in weight, the soft tail moves quite well......RKC03
RKC03

Offline mkd

• Site Supporter
  • tail of the dragon 2011
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009. 04:02:51 AM. »
the 27 comes on about 200 rpm higher on the bottom end and runs out higher on the top end.i had the 23 and when the lobes got worn switched to the 27. the 27 is a very good choice for a stage 1 motor. i liked mine!

Offline looper1

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009. 10:34:05 PM. »
I totatly agree with 7ender , I will to , go with EV-23 , strong , quiet cam .Thanks 7ender for the tip on the breather vavles .

Offline 96dynabagger

« Reply #32 on: Friday, October 16, 2009. 06:25:41 AM. »
EV-27. 

Bearing-   its a very common number, you can get it at any bearing supplier, probably ebay.
They're so cheap, when a co-worker bought his, he gave me one too.  :)

Reid Tool, McMaster Carr.  they all should have them or an equivalent IKO or INA.

Offline HyperDetroit

• Site Supporter
  • 2000 FXR4 2001 FXSTB
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009. 05:47:56 AM. »
Question for Fxr4Mikey:

Not to hijack this thread, but have you done any headwork in addition to running W-6 cam?

Thanks
Hyper
Всё в руках божьих

Offline 96roadking

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009. 03:33:14 PM. »
Only you know were you spend most of your time ridding. It's a known fact the EV-27 is one of the best drop in cams ever. It's noisier than most others because of the fast ramps on the cam lobes. It comes on a little higher than most stock cams with a lot more top end. This cam really works best with a compression boost but still runs strong without it. The EV-23 is a great cam also, just doesn't give the same performance in the same rpm range as the EV-27. I went through the same thing as you when trying to decide. The bottom line is were do you spend all your time? In the lower or higher rpm. More than likely your in the lower rpm more and you want a cam that will have enough grunt to get you in the upper end quickly. Turns out there is a cam that fits this need. Ever hear about the EV-13? It was designed for heavy Harley bikes especially the Baggers that usually have two adults, luggage, and sometimes a sidecar to haul around. This cam comes on like a race horse with gobs of low end Torque to get them rolling fast. It's top end is about 500 rpm under the EV-27, doesn't need a compression increase and because of the the exhaust lobe grind helps the motor to run cooler. That EV-27 was really geared toward light bikes that like to run in the upper end. Kind of like having a Hot Rod performance that doesn't need a lot of engine upgrades because it's on the border line with it's specs. Great for Highway ridding and passing 70+ mph. Check out the EV-13, read, ask questions from people who choose it, it's an awesome cam. The EV-13 is in the middle of those two cams. Check out the specs here....http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/catalog/13_EV80camS.pdf
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 18, 2009. 04:52:08 PM. by 96roadking »

Offline drs23

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009. 10:43:00 AM. »
Can't go wrong with the W-6 either. Used it in a bunch of bikes. Gobs of umph at the bottom and runs up to 5k'ish like a bear and don't seem to be as noisey as the 27. In my wife's '89 FXLR went with an EV-3. Andrews did a good job with this cam. Jumps quick and pulls her along great. With no head work, .030 head gaskets, Hi-flo a/c and Python IIIs turned 82/82 at the rear wheel. Is really fun to ride.

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much  :teeth:'

Dale
So many roads...So little time...

Offline kempomark

« Reply #36 on: Saturday, September 21, 2013. 08:04:46 AM. »
I have a 95 FLH. It started smoking after about 80K.

I decided to do the whole top end. That inclulded used ported heads, the cyclinders bored out .010 and 10.5 SE pistons. While everything was apart I put in SE adjustable pushrods, a new b138 bearing and an EV-27 cam. I left the ignition alone. Oh I have some speed goodies in the carb, true duel head pipes and have stock exhaust cans with fullsac racing baffles.

I have to say I love this cam. After reading and reading and re.... I found that the EV 27 was highly regarded. I can tell you that it is pretty sedate righ up to 3 grand. THEN... it takes off like a shot! I live right at the base of the Rocky Mountains. There are a lot of steep hills. Now with this cam I can run the hills in 5 gear. Ya, I like the cam alot. Just make sure the end play is correct and the right shim is installed on the end of the cam.

Offline Phatbiker

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, September 22, 2013. 03:28:29 PM. »
Installed a EV-27 and heavy duty rollers on the lifters (plus new inner cam bearing) in my bike ten years ago and have had no problems. You will get a bit more valve train noise than stock.

Offline Fatboy Rider

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, September 22, 2013. 04:42:30 PM. »
Here is my thoughts. I wouldn't use any Andrews cam, I went with the crane h-286-2b knowing I was going to raise the compression, then had the gear advanced. If you must use an Andrews the 23 for a bagger, the 27 for others. Look at thr Crain 310 fireball, It will perform in the same ball park as the 27 and be quitter  :wink:
I'm only as smart as the web makes me.
My Ipod can make errors I can't change.

Online Dogbone45ACP

« Reply #39 on: Monday, September 23, 2013. 10:10:57 AM. »
I ran the Andrews EV-13 in my '89 bagger for years. It was the perfect cam for a heavy bike. How ever it did have some valve train noise.

Offline John/1

« Reply #40 on: Sunday, October 06, 2013. 07:50:29 AM. »
My engine runs great with the Andrews EV-23 cam ,....it has enough bottem-power now,...and operates silent ( no clicking noise or what ever )
Replaced the bearing for a Torrinton type .
Top end-power was not important to me ,...it's a Harley ,...and I want to keep the toolbox and wallet closed .
If you have racing-desires , you better can buy a Ducati or so 

Don't forget to replace the stock-low-budget "plastic" breather valve for a S&S (or other brend) steel type .

Hi
Ev 23  or  ev 27  are not anywhere near a racing cam complete opposite.

Offline shovelbill

« Reply #41 on: Sunday, October 06, 2013. 09:45:34 PM. »
i'd be giving some thought to the Mackie 500 for a bolt in. nice broad torque range.

http://www.davemackie.com/cams.html

i'm a Mackie fan....smooth idle, quiet valve train and great all around power. I;m running the DM581(multi index 580) in my shovel and find it turns on a little late for what you're trying to get, but after 2700 it just PULLS through 6500.......for a bolt in i'd try the .500

my friend put that cam in a stock, never broke into 74" '78 superglide....he used the Velva evo/evo setup, a tuned CV carb and the stock 2 into 1 glide pipe.........made 58hp and 64 ft lbs on the dyno at the Harley Rendezvous. that impressed a lot of people. I think it work work great in a stockish evo....... :wink:

Offline Homeward Bound

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, October 15, 2013. 08:42:20 PM. »
I read  Torrington has now been bought out by Koyo Seiko founded by that highly ambitious, hard working and intelligent Japanese gentleman Mr. Ikeda in 1921.

Are we ready to 'bite the billet' on this one and call them what they are now ... Koyo bearings?

Standards are high as ever ... Japanese engineering appears to stand apart from the rest of Asia.

Offline Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2013. 09:44:31 AM. »
Only you know were you spend most of your time ridding. It's a known fact the EV-27 is one of the best drop in cams ever. It's noisier than most others because of the fast ramps on the cam lobes. It comes on a little higher than most stock cams with a lot more top end. This cam really works best with a compression boost but still runs strong without it. The EV-23 is a great cam also, just doesn't give the same performance in the same rpm range as the EV-27. I went through the same thing as you when trying to decide. The bottom line is were do you spend all your time? In the lower or higher rpm. More than likely your in the lower rpm more and you want a cam that will have enough grunt to get you in the upper end quickly. Turns out there is a cam that fits this need. Ever hear about the EV-13? It was designed for heavy Harley bikes especially the Baggers that usually have two adults, luggage, and sometimes a sidecar to haul around. This cam comes on like a race horse with gobs of low end Torque to get them rolling fast. It's top end is about 500 rpm under the EV-27, doesn't need a compression increase and because of the the exhaust lobe grind helps the motor to run cooler. That EV-27 was really geared toward light bikes that like to run in the upper end. Kind of like having a Hot Rod performance that doesn't need a lot of engine upgrades because it's on the border line with it's specs. Great for Highway ridding and passing 70+ mph. Check out the EV-13, read, ask questions from people who choose it, it's an awesome cam. The EV-13 is in the middle of those two cams. Check out the specs here....http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/catalog/13_EV80camS.pdf

Yeah, i`ve been running an EV13 in my `97 Fatboy for four years now, stock 1340 motor with a Mikuni 42. Its the noisiest cam ever, bike sounds like a bunch of Crickets in a tin can when it gets hot, i did renew the lifters with the B type at the same time.
I can`t say i`m impressed with the low end acceleration but, once she gets up to about 60mph and you twist hard, boy, does it pull. You can feel the cam kicking in and it is very noticable.
I thought about going up to a 27 but can`t be bothered with swopping everything out again. Its just that dammed ticking noise that gauls me, even louder when i got the windshield on. Some say that this can be cured by fitting a slightly larger pinion to take up the slack??
For now, i`ll put up with it but, its one advantage is that you can use the stock pushrods. I like stock pushrods!!
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

Offline codyshop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2013. 12:17:34 PM. »
Does anyone have a stock 80" EV-27 bolt in cam only dyno sheet they can post?

Here's my wife's '85 SuperGlide...stock heads & pistons, stock ignition, CV w/Dynojet kit, Dragtron air cleaner and SuperTrap Mean Mothers, no baffles.  Green run is EV-27 installed, red run is after carb tuning...no other work. 

Offline mp

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2013. 07:31:58 PM. »
Yeah, i`ve been running an EV13 in my `97 Fatboy for four years now, stock 1340 motor with a Mikuni 42. Its the noisiest cam ever, bike sounds like a bunch of Crickets in a tin can when it gets hot, i did renew the lifters with the B type at the same time.
I can`t say i`m impressed with the low end acceleration but, once she gets up to about 60mph and you twist hard, boy, does it pull. You can feel the cam kicking in and it is very noticable.
I thought about going up to a 27 but can`t be bothered with swopping everything out again. Its just that dammed ticking noise that gauls me, even louder when i got the windshield on. Some say that this can be cured by fitting a slightly larger pinion to take up the slack??
For now, i`ll put up with it but, its one advantage is that you can use the stock pushrods. I like stock pushrods!!
[/quote]Yeah, i`ve been running an EV13 in my `97 Fatboy for four years now, stock 1340 motor with a Mikuni 42. Its the noisiest cam ever, bike sounds like a bunch of Crickets in a tin can when it gets hot, i did renew the lifters with the B type at the same time.
[/quote]

It doesn't sound like you actually have an EV13.  Low end acceleration is what it was created for.  If the cam is ground to EV13 specs it HAS to improve low end acceleration.  I don't know what you mean by "kicking in at 60"- whether you are downshifting or just twisting the throttle, but frankly, what you describe sounds like an EV27, which does not kick in til about 3000rpm and usually makes a lot of noise.  I've had an EV13 in my FXRS for eight years and about 75,000 miles and it is utterly quiet and makes very good power at lower rpm, and far better than stock everywhere.

Offline shovelbill

« Reply #46 on: Thursday, October 17, 2013. 09:43:20 PM. »

Here's my wife's '85 SuperGlide...stock heads & pistons, stock ignition, CV w/Dynojet kit, Dragtron air cleaner and SuperTrap Mean Mothers, no baffles.  Green run is EV-27 installed, red run is after carb tuning...no other work. 

not trying to be an a$$ here.....and I never even seen a dyno in person, but I think that carb may need some more work.....I've never run a CV before, but i'm reading up on them as i'll have the 44mm on my bagger soon enough. why is she so rich above 2200?

Offline codyshop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, October 19, 2013. 09:42:49 AM. »

not trying to be an a$$ here.....and I never even seen a dyno in person, but I think that carb may need some more work.....I've never run a CV before, but i'm reading up on them as i'll have the 44mm on my bagger soon enough. why is she so rich above 2200?

That was fixed.  I wanted to show the other poster what an EV-27 did on one particular bike with no other work.