Author Topic: rebuilt evo engine smokes at idle - why??  (Read 1940 times)

Offline andyxlh

• '89 XLH '96 FLHR '73 125RC, Sydney Australia
rebuilt evo engine smokes at idle - why??
« on: Saturday, April 04, 2009. 06:03:11 AM. »
hello folks
I had the engine on my '96 road king rebuilt at the beginning of last year, and it seems to smoke at idle, particularly when it sits for some time hot. It uses almost no oil, but smokes a LOT, only sometimes, only when hot, and only at idle. I have an early evo sportster which uses a lot of oil and really is due a top end rebuild, smokes a little, but this road king smokes loads more! it has a carburettor, and I'm guessing it may be to do with the adjustment - possibly the idle screw? Haven't checked yet. I have a 48 idle and a 180 main jet, EVL 3110cam, heads ported and shaved, SE air cleaner and HD performance pipes.
BTW, it only smokes out of the RH pipe, not the left.
any ideas would be most welcome!
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Offline flhs90

• Ride until broken, buy parts, wrench, ride, repeat
Re: rebuilt evo engine smokes at idle - why??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009. 06:55:03 AM. »
Hey Andy:

Greetings down under as they say. No worries she be alright.
Is the smoke blue or black?
I ride a 90 FLHS with 65K miles, not rebuilt but then I bought it 4th hand so I can't always be sure.
I get a little puff of black smoke after the bike has been idling or coasting and I "romp" on it. I'll have my buddy Bill watch behind me when I twist my wick.  :wtf: Only out of the right side and only for a bit. I too wonder about it running too rich at lower rpms. However my plugs are nice tan when I read them after all my runs. I get a little cough or spit out of the CV carb but she clears her throat and off we go.
I'll be watching your post to see what knowledge comes through. These guys usually share some good tech info.
Meanwhile  "ride it like ya stole it!"

Going out ridin today!

FLHS 90; we are going to get  bluebird weather here and temps in the 70'[s for the first time this year and after 2 weeks of straight rain and showers. Go figure, spring must be comin!
1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS
Western Oregon

Offline andyxlh

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009. 03:36:41 PM. »
Hello Mate
The FLHS - fore-runner of the RK! There's a great FLHS here in Sydney in blue and silver flames - looks great.
Anyhow, the smoke is definately not black, if anything it is white like steam, and there is a lot of it the times it happens. I wonder if the idle screw has come loose, but I don't know how to adjust it. Bike runs really well, no problems with coughing or lag. I think that the 48 idle jet might be a little big perhaps. The smoking only seems to occur when the bike is hot in traffic and has been that way for a while.
Hope u had a fun ride!
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Offline Hossamania

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009. 09:48:45 PM. »
If the motor is still mostly stock, not big bore or high compression, then 48 seems a bit large, and the 180 may also be more tha necessary.
Adjusting the mixture screw is pretty simple, especially if it has already had the cap drilled and removed. Gently turn it in until it bottoms out (gentle!) then turn it out 2.5 turns to start.
 Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
All generalizations are false.

Offline andyxlh

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009. 03:29:25 AM. »
Hi Folks
I think I may have found the problem -I screwed the idle mixture screw in all the way - a whole 1/4 turn from where it was, and the idle didn't change, so I guess the .48 is way too big, causing a lot of unburnt fuel in the cylinders when the bike idles for a long time. does that sound right?
the compresion has been increased a little by the engine builder who decked 40 thou off the cylinder base and heads, so I guess it will need a little more fuel than a standard engine, with the evl3110cam and the porting too
so, will get a .45 and put that in!
cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 05, 2009. 03:33:06 AM. by andyxlh »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009. 05:17:47 PM. »
hey Andy
same situation up here nth o Brissy....recently installed a evl 3010 cam in me '94 Fat....blew smoke at idle...found as you did that adjusting idle mix all th way in had no affect on makin th motor stumble, tho it did rid a lot of th smoke....so ripped carb apart to find 48 idle + a lot of crud...stock i think is meant to be 42.....so ordered a 42 & 45 idle to mess with...been waiting over a week for th parts...hohumm...anyways, i also ordered th Sportster needle & a 175 main to poss try after finding a 165 in mine (stock size i think), which may stay if it goes well with th new needle....no rush for me, its been crap weather up here for seemingly forever anyways...good luck
cheers

Offline andyxlh

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009. 07:21:43 PM. »
Hello Mate
funny that, I'm riding north to brisbane on thursday for the weekend, and was thinking of trying to fix the carb before i left! hope the weather clears up a bit before then...
I would think that the 165 would be lean if you have the good air cleaner and exhaust, I had the top end tuned, i had a 180 in it which he changed but I can't remember what to, I think a 175.
I think the problem with the 48 is only going to be costing me gas money on the ride up if i dont get to it, nothing more i hope!
cheers
Andy

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009. 12:42:01 AM. »
hey Andy.... FYI, i got th parts yesterday n fitted em up (45 @ 2 1/2 turns, 175, sportster needle)....started er & she seems to be behaving itself a lot better on idle....still crap weather here (2 1/2 hrs nth Bris.) & i cant get th bike in & out of our small acreage at th mo because of it....so a test ride maybe 2moro....i think she'l be right but!
anyways hope u have a mighty fine ride up to Brissy on Thursday....forecast only for showers...very unstable still tho. so pack your wet weather gear in case eh..
cheers n good luck matey

Offline andyxlh

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2009. 04:35:17 AM. »
hello mate
glad you got it sorted - still to do mine
hell of a ride up - got a flat at 7.30 am on good friday in kempsey - spent 'till sat lunch waiting for the bike shop to open and fix it, so only got up there for a day, and then rode back in the torrential rain on the monday! oh well, as i used to say when I was young and foolish "i'd rather ride my bike in the rain than drive a car in the sunshine!!!"
cheers
Andy