Author Topic: Cam chest upgrade for '05 Dyna  (Read 606 times)

Offline rshipp

Cam chest upgrade for '05 Dyna
« on: Friday, August 30, 2013. 01:06:23 PM. »
Ready to cam-up my 2005 Dyna with Andrews 21 0r 26 cams and use latest chains and tensioners. Would like to upgrade cam chest to hydro tensioners, high capacity oil pump, roller chains on both sides of the plate, bushings or bearings for cam supports; SE or after-market parts OK.  Please tell me what is currently available and any links, including how-to links would be great. Tks Guys and Gals. Randy

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
Re: Cam chest upgrade for '05 Dyna
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 30, 2013. 03:54:13 PM. »
While your waiting for reply's a search here on HTT will give you some idea.  You will need to get a list of part numbers to do the conversion for Andrews 21N or 26N cams.   Rick

Offline fidel

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 30, 2013. 04:04:12 PM. »
On a dyna  26 n  better thsn 21 i think in my road king i av 26 n and love it  but check fot the 48 n   i saw some dyno sheet of the 48 in a stock 88  real nice

Offline JBPerformance

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 30, 2013. 04:47:32 PM. »
Woods carbs has complete roller link conversion kit that comes with cam plate, high volume oil pump,  both chains, and tensioners. Do have to use conversion cams with this kit because comes with bushing style cam plate instead of original bearing style. Attached link for kit.

http://www.woodcarbs.com/rollerconv.htm
09 flhx,107", 11-1 comp,woods tw-8,torque inc heads,d&d fatcat,se hb a/c,n2o

Offline nhrider

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 31, 2013. 08:06:58 AM. »
Ready to cam-up my 2005 Dyna with Andrews 21 0r 26 cams and use latest chains and tensioners. Would like to upgrade cam chest to hydro tensioners, high capacity oil pump, roller chains on both sides of the plate, bushings or bearings for cam supports; SE or after-market parts OK.  Please tell me what is currently available and any links, including how-to links would be great. Tks Guys and Gals. Randy

You can find instructions and a parts list from Andrews.  The link is attached:

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/media/PDF/TwinCamConversion-99-2006.pdf

I did this recently to my 2005 Deluxe.   Works great, new cams don't have to be pressed in and the high capacity oil pump is a plus.  You use 'N' cams with the new style plate. The S/E plate doesn't use roller chains on both sides...so I went this way.
2010 FLHRC
2005 FLSTNI

Offline Tutly25

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 01, 2013. 07:06:36 PM. »
Andrews has a decent parts list for the conversion on their website. I also used some parts lists found on this forum.  Here's a few links:

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=21746.0

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/twin-cam-88-engine-technical-discussion/217587-where-parts.html

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=53167.0

Here's a pic of all parts needed (from Herko kit).  I used this along with the parts lists to confirm I Had everything needed.  Also be sure to use an 07+ service manual when doing the install.  I was able to download an '09 manual from pirate bay.  You will want to order these from a discount dealer.  I used Lakeshore HD (lshd1.com) and got everything for less than $400.

Not sure if it wasn't in the parts list, but I somehow forgot to order the stock front cam spacer (.100) so make sure you get that. Also make sure you order the cam spacer kit for the 07+ models. I had a dumbass attack and ordered the kit HD reccomends for their hydro conversions and the spacers were way too big.  I believe I ended up using a .130 on the rear cam.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 01, 2013. 07:09:10 PM. by Tutly25 »
2000 FLHRC
PBR me ASAP

Offline N-gin

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 01, 2013. 07:16:21 PM. »
I hear good things about the 26 Andrews. I did a conversion in a touring with 21 Andrews. Nice little boost in power.
you can find used can plates cheap on hear.
After I did the conversion to the bike I noticed oil pressure was way high even after a highway run in 95 degree heat. This was with a used cam plate and oil pump.
You live more in 1 day on a machine like this, than most people do in a lifetime

Offline Tutly25

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 01, 2013. 07:36:50 PM. »
I ended up going with the 26N and am very happy with it.  The bike just runs so much better all around.  Better power everywhere, especially in the mid rpm ranges. Bike sounds better and even saw my mpg jump a bit.

The price on a new cam plate is around $65 from a discount dealer so I would go that route for piece of mind.  Unless you can find a good deal on the whole set-up (plate, chains, tensioners, sprockets).

I also upgraded to the SE oil pump and let me tell you the top end noise has been cut down drastically. 

BTW with your Dyna being a lighter bike I would go with the 26.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 01, 2013. 07:41:19 PM. by Tutly25 »
2000 FLHRC
PBR me ASAP