Author Topic: Magnetti-Marelli EFI to Carb Conversion  (Read 715 times)

Offline gun-e

Magnetti-Marelli EFI to Carb Conversion
« on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 07:54:17 PM. »
I'm in the middle of converting my 2000 Roadking to carb using an '02 harness. The stock main harness is an 8 pin connector (grey) with 7 wires. The '02 has a 12 pin connector with 9 wires. I can almost figure this out but what's with the extra 2 wires?? I can get another connector and take the odd one apart and make it work, but curious what the other 2 wires are for an '02 application. All replies are appreciated. tks

Online pigfixer

Re: Magnetti-Marelli EFI to Carb Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2013. 08:08:22 PM. »
on a 2000 you'd have a cam position senser that they dropped a year later, that could account for at least one wire ?

Offline gun-e

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 06:26:50 AM. »
Yes HD dropped the cam sensor but that still doesn't explain the EXTRA 2 wires on the newer '02 harness. Maybe for another accessory(s) not found on 2000 model year? I would like to know if anyone on the forum has made the conversion and if they encountered the same or similar problem. Tks

Online pigfixer

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 06:59:50 AM. »
is your wire harness off a road king or a road king classic, the classic had cruse control on it while the standard didn't ?

Offline CndUltra88

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 07:16:59 AM. »
is your wire harness off a road king or a road king classic, the classic had cruse control on it while the standard didn't ?

Wouldnt the MM and the Cruise control be the two wires you might be looking to omit?
Electrical is another of my week points, but  that might be what you are looking at .
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Offline VDeuce

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 07:21:47 AM. »
I would look into a service manual for 2002 and get into the wiring section. I wouldn't want to guess here.
'07 Street Glide
120R @ 10.8:1, 662-2, HPI 55mm, Boarzilla

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline Dagwood

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 12:19:40 PM. »
My guess is the 2002 ignition harness has a W/GN wire on pins 5 and 11.  These are for the vehicle speed and this is not used by the ignition module on a carbureted bike.  Makes you wonder why they are even included.

Online BulldogBiker

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013. 01:24:43 PM. »
When I did the conversion last year on my 01 RK I mistakenly ordered a 32435-02 harness. Sent it back and used the 32435-00 with no issues. My problem was the -02 connectors where for the new 02 main harness and Ign Module. Paid $137 for the harness and didn't have to butcher anything to make it work, plug and play.

My SM shows W/GN going to pin 3 (Grey Connector) of the Ign Module for a carb bike and on both EFI/Carb harnesses it goes to pin 3 of the TS/TSSM module for the VSS/Data Link.

The cam position sensor was used on EFI touring bikes in 01 but not on carb bikes so if you use an -00 harness it won't be there. Just cut the sensor lead at the cam cover and leave the sensor in place for oil leak control.I wire tied the sensor connector out of the way up by the Ign module under the RHD side cover.

Hope this helps.
01 FLHR Hybrid - Bits and pieces that work together ... for now.

Offline Dagwood

« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 21, 2013. 02:49:29 PM. »
Good thing is that they're Deutsch connectors and it super easy to take the terminals out and reposition them if you have to.  All the same wires should be there whether it be any year from '99 to probably 2003, you just have to compare the wiring diagrams and figure out what goes where. Just might have to buy a 12 place connector to use instead of the 8 place that's on your 2000.  I went through all of this on my '99 Ultra.  First I switched to a carb and did it long enough ago that I could buy a '99 carbureted harness so everything was plug and play.  More recently I needed a new main harness and by then the oldest model year that was available was a 2002.  I was able to use that along with my '99 ignition harness just by buying a new 12 place Deutsch connector and moving the terminals to the proper spots.   

Offline gun-e

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013. 06:52:21 AM. »
Figured out what the extra two pins (wires) on the '02 harness. They're for alarm system and cruise. I bought a Deutsch plug and mated the wires from harness to main harness on bike. Hit the switch and RUMBLE!!! Still need to dial everything in but bike runs!!! The bike idles like a HARLEY SHOULD....now with the DTT ignition. Reminds me of a old Pan or shovel. All in all, I would highly recommend the swap. Easy but challenging. The cost for me was about $800. Guys say they do it for less but I used mostly new parts except for carb. Most expensive was DTT ignition (bought refurbished from DTT for 1/2 price) Air Cleaner (Wimmer Bigger SUCKER) , OEM new 2002 harness, and Pingel fuel valve and plug.