Author Topic: d08 - speedometer power overvoltage  (Read 289 times)

Offline FatboyBdC

d08 - speedometer power overvoltage
« on: Monday, January 28, 2013. 11:10:20 AM. »
got this while hauling ass! went through the "push the reset on speedo thing" and had do8 problem. reset and did it again. Boy, sure is fun trying to get this fault to return.....BUT, what exactly is this.....? is it a Grounding problem? New Battery, stator and regulator. http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/Smileys/classic/BangHead.gif. thx.

Online rmc115

Re: d08 - speedometer power overvoltage
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 28, 2013. 05:40:24 PM. »
I had the same problem, speedo dropped out about 5k rpm from over voltage, stator had a burnt spot. Replaced stator and reg,then ok. Mike
00 Fatboy,95"wood tw6,diamond cut,se 44mm 
14 Charcoal/Silver Ultra Limited

Offline FatboyBdC

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013. 11:59:23 AM. »
Thanks Mike! ya i had this problem a couple years ago, when i rev it up, with a volt meter at the battery posts, i can control the volts with the RPM's and the brightness oh my head light till it got to 16 vdc and fault out. sent it to the "dealer" and they couldnt repeat it! I did it right in their face! well after changing the stator, regulator, battery, speedo sensor, back tire :wink:. it did the same exact think. it ended up being a ground wire bent in half and a couple strands broken. heard that the amount of volts are controlled by the grounds. just surprised it happen again. i'll inspect the grounds again the take apart the primary belt and get a new regulator. OR just stay under 99mph! Na......! thanks Bro! :chop:

Online rmc115

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 31, 2013. 04:53:34 PM. »
It scared the crap out of me first time it happened. I was winging it hard, on the limiter in second gear and thought i blew it up. Slowed down and it kept running. Do a resistance check including short to ground on the stator. Mike
00 Fatboy,95"wood tw6,diamond cut,se 44mm 
14 Charcoal/Silver Ultra Limited