Author Topic: best exhaust  (Read 2224 times)

Offline 4speed

best exhaust
« on: Saturday, December 29, 2012. 04:16:33 PM. »
looking for a little more power,i have 01 heritage 95" getting 94hp 96 torque,i have a v&h straight shots they say it looks like a 2 into 2 but performs like a 2 into 1 its a 1 piece exhaust has  a cross over chamber,so what do you think,looking at a thunder header or  am i wasting my money
thanks
Danny                                                               Ride Safe

Online bobbyjoes54

• Site Supporter
Re: best exhaust
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012. 04:39:30 PM. »
i went from V&H long shots to D&D fatcat and it made a good difference,BVHOG tuned it when i had my 95 build ,he might remember  or have the numbers ,but a true 2 into 1 will help,IMO
2014 stretglide Special

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
  • there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012. 05:44:44 PM. »
Drago's 2n1     (Frank probably has one in stock)
RB Racing LSR   (place your order and wait 3 months)
D&D Fat Cat     (on the shelf ready to ship)
Three heavy hitters in the game for your bike. I placed them in the order I would use on your bike.

No Cents

:wink:
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 29, 2012. 06:35:58 PM. by No Cents »
little barn built 124"er with help from wfolarry, Kirby Apathy, and Jim Kennedy

Offline 4speed

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012. 03:07:33 AM. »
how do i get a hold of frank

Offline Clayster

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012. 03:16:16 AM. »
Dragos Bike Works is one of the vendors here.  Look in the Vendors section.

Offline Weevil

• 2003 Anniversary Fatboy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012. 07:22:43 AM. »
looking for a little more power,i have 01 heritage 95" getting 94hp 96 torque,i have a v&h straight shots they say it looks like a 2 into 2 but performs like a 2 into 1 its a 1 piece exhaust has  a cross over chamber,so what do you think,looking at a thunder header or  am i wasting my money
thanks
Other than moving up to 95", what else was done? Cams? Top end work?

I had a set of V&H' BSS's with the crossover chamber before I went to the Fatcat. Should have dyno'd the bike before then after installing the Fatcat  :doh:
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”

Offline 4speed

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012. 08:54:23 AM. »
yankee                                                                                                                                           has 10.5to1 comp mcr heads fueling 574 gd cams,with the v&h bss pipes with the chamber,did you feel any power when you put fatcat on i am thinking thunderheader,but if not goin to do anything ill stay with what i have

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012. 09:49:34 AM. »
Drago's Bikeworks
(815)765-1790

No Cents

:wink:

Offline Northside

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012. 10:29:11 PM. »
yankee                                                                                                                                           has 10.5to1 comp mcr heads fueling 574 gd cams,with the v&h bss pipes with the chamber,did you feel any power when you put fatcat on i am thinking thunderheader,but if not goin to do anything ill stay with what i have

I went from V&H BSS to a Fat Cat on my Fat Boy.  95" Dave Macke Megasphere heads and pistons with his 590 cams and a 45 Mikuni.  I never dynoed it cause it just runs well and pulls harder than my buds' 95s and 103s.  With the BSS it pulled okay up to 3700 r.p.m. then all but jumped out from under me.  Kind of like a two stroke dirt bike.  With the Fat Cat it pulls fine at lower rpms then comes on pretty hard at 2900 and pulls hard to redline.  Much more responsive just riding around with the Fat Cat.  I have the standard baffle in the Fat Cat and it's quieter than the BSS.  i have to say the bike was fast with either pipe and the BSS sounded nastier.  I like riding it with the Fat Cat better cause it has more power where I ride most of the time.  If I was just worried about higer rpm power I'd stick with the BSS and they do sound good with added compression.

In a nutshell although i never dynoed it I'd say you get a much broader torque band with the Fat Cat and that the V&H power chamber still doesn't make the pipe a 2 into 1.

Offline 4speed

« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 31, 2012. 12:58:28 PM. »
thanks for the help,i ordered a thunderheader be here next week will let you how it works

Offline Mother

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013. 06:08:18 AM. »
 :emoGroan:  has the Thunderheader quality improved?  I haven't messed with them in probably 5 years....
153hp/149tq 124 in touring mode for now

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013. 04:35:58 PM. »
:emoGroan:  has the Thunderheader quality improved?  I haven't messed with them in probably 5 years....
:doh:
Notice Thunder header was not on my list. Been down that road before.
 And Nope...just seen a brand new 2n1 Thunder header last week that was fresh off the UPS truck while I was standing there. It was at my friends indy shop. The customer was also there that ordered it. He opened the box up and was all smiles at first...then he started looking at it a little closer and his facial expression quickly went from all smiles to a sudden frown. The chrome in spots looked like someone had sanded it with 60 grit sandpaper...and then went ahead and chromed over it. Very poor quality on the finish.
Needless to say...he is having my friend send it back to be replaced or a refund.

No Cents

:wink:.

Offline Mother

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013. 04:48:45 PM. »
I ran thunderheaders for years and on my friend's scoots too. There are so many better made pipes out there. To each there own. The last one I ran the baffle plates were rattling!
153hp/149tq 124 in touring mode for now

Offline Springer110

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013. 07:10:05 PM. »
How does the Dragos 2-1 perform on the softails?

I don't think he has a dragula that fits softails yet and I can't remember the name of the pipe that does fit but it does not have a stepped header design.

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
  • Wanna get screwed? Go to the courthouse
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013. 08:33:21 PM. »
Fit and finish o n the thunder headers have really gone down hill over the past few years. I love the sound of those things but the quality just isn't there

Offline 4speed

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013. 04:14:48 AM. »
put my thunderheader on and i love it ...it was perfect and easy to install,had the BSS they were tricky to install and way to loud,thunderheader was a great choice for me will put on dyno soon

Offline Tattoo

« Reply #16 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013. 06:13:04 AM. »
My State has a strict noise law , I have been looking at the Dragula 2 into 1 . how loud is this system??
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Offline Weevil

• 2003 Anniversary Fatboy
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013. 10:07:17 AM. »
put my thunderheader on and i love it ...it was perfect and easy to install,had the BSS they were tricky to install and way to loud,thunderheader was a great choice for me will put on dyno soon
Keep us posted.
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”

Offline No Cents

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013. 04:52:14 PM. »
My State has a strict noise law , I have been looking at the Dragula 2 into 1 . how loud is this system??
Ask Strokerjlk...I believe he just test one from Frank.

Offline Nooter99

• MOTORCITY
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013. 07:43:40 PM. »
I guess I'm in the minority. Bought a Thunderheader back in 2003 for my previous Fat Boy, looked great, sounded great and performed great. I liked it so much I put another one on my current Fat Boy. It looks just as good as the first one. Seems like if they were as horrible as everyone has always said they are, they woulda been out of business years ago.
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!