Author Topic: ULTIMA Roller Rockers: Good or Bad????  (Read 999 times)

Offline WhipLash96

ULTIMA Roller Rockers: Good or Bad????
« on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 06:19:21 AM. »
I have been inquiring about roller rocker here recently and thanks to a lot of smart people, I have learned something very valuable about my Harley engine. As I was saying, I thought that I had the brand of roller rockers picked out that I was going to buy which were the S&S, however, it was brought to my attention that Ultima is selling sets of roller rocker arms for only $110. I have heard, or I get a general feeling that Ultima is not that popular? :nix: :scratch: I have one guy from a different forum saying that they are junk and they are likely to fail. This person is the only one that I have heard say this. Is he right on this? Should I go with the S&S over the Ultima's? I need information on these as I am ready to pull the trigger on the Ultima's now!  :pop: :pop: Thanks for the replies.

Offline Buffalo

Re: ULTIMA Roller Rockers: Good or Bad????
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 06:33:35 AM. »
I read the question from your other thread. The responses are what I would expect. S&S makes most if not all it own parts. I don't doubt that some will be made overseas, but even then they must meet with S&S standards. You can bet S&S has tested the heck out of anything it gets from suppliers.There roller rocker are shot peaned, xrayed, and finished to S&S's exact specs.
Of all the members her who rebuild and do performance builds, not one would recommend Ultima rockers, or any part likely.
S&S stands 100% behind anything they make, my first choice is S&S!!! FWIW Buffalo :chop:

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 06:44:04 AM. »
I read the question from your other thread. The responses are what I would expect. S&S makes most if not all it own parts. I don't doubt that some will be made overseas, but even then they must meet with S&S standards. You can bet S&S has tested the heck out of anything it gets from suppliers.There roller rocker are shot peaned, xrayed, and finished to S&S's exact specs.
Of all the members her who rebuild and do performance builds, not one would recommend Ultima rockers, or any part likely.
S&S stands 100% behind anything they make, my first choice is S&S!!! FWIW Buffalo :chop:

:up:    Always has been great quality, and customer service IMHO.
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline Johnnykool6

• You polish... I'll ride...
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:03:56 AM. »
I've also heard the negatives! But all I can say is that I have 2 Ultima engines (127's), and both run great without any problems. But if you have the cash... you can't go wrong with the S&S's!!   :chop:

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:12:04 AM. »
I've also heard the negatives! But all I can say is that I have 2 Ultima engines (127's), and both run great without any problems. But if you have the cash... you can't go wrong with the S&S's!!   :chop:

What kind of power are you making out of those engines? As a person that actually has an Ultima engine, would you feel comfortable putting their roller rockers into a 98' HD engine?

Offline Johnnykool6

• You polish... I'll ride...
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:38:10 AM. »
Ultima claims 140 hp at the rear wheel, and I've never dyno-ed it myself, but you better be holding on when you twist the throttle!! Thing pulls the wheel up with no prob! Leaving any rice behind! My second 127 has a Magnacharger being installed so it's down right now. So... not sure of the price difference your talking about, but if they're alot cheaper, I would use them, since my money tree has done shriveled up! And since I've built less than a 50 motors, there's probably more qualified people here! I used cranes on one of my 1340 shovel's, and had to do a bit of grinding on both the rockers, and housings! They were also around $480! Definitely makes your valve guides last longer!! Are you using stock cam and springs?
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:44:06 AM. by Johnnykool6 »

Offline WhipLash96

« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:28:35 AM. »
No, I will not be using stock springs or cam. Ok, basically the issue that this one guy is having is that they are coming from Jireh Cycles. I have spoken to a couple of different builders and they have no issues with them. I will be talking to another builder today and seeing what he thinks of them.

Offline wfolarry

• Site Supporter
  • Don't know if I know what you're talking about
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:35:22 AM. »
I tried them on my own bike. Wiped out the bushings in a year. This was with springs that had 180# on the seat. With the stock beehives they would probably hold up better. The bushings didn't wear out but looked more like they disintegrated. Full of pock marks.
Internet
Where bad info travels @ fiber optic speed & good info @ dial up speed

Offline speed limit

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:49:28 AM. »
I changed them out in my 127 when I installed S.T.D. stage IV heads because they are cast and would not clear larger valve retainers I went with Jim's they probably the same as SE its been about 30k and no problems
« Last Edit: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:56:11 AM. by speed limit »
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.