Author Topic: ULTIMA Roller Rockers: Good or Bad????  (Read 987 times)

Online WhipLash96

ULTIMA Roller Rockers: Good or Bad????
« on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 06:19:21 AM. »
I have been inquiring about roller rocker here recently and thanks to a lot of smart people, I have learned something very valuable about my Harley engine. As I was saying, I thought that I had the brand of roller rockers picked out that I was going to buy which were the S&S, however, it was brought to my attention that Ultima is selling sets of roller rocker arms for only $110. I have heard, or I get a general feeling that Ultima is not that popular? :nix: :scratch: I have one guy from a different forum saying that they are junk and they are likely to fail. This person is the only one that I have heard say this. Is he right on this? Should I go with the S&S over the Ultima's? I need information on these as I am ready to pull the trigger on the Ultima's now!  :pop: :pop: Thanks for the replies.

Offline Buffalo

Re: ULTIMA Roller Rockers: Good or Bad????
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 06:33:35 AM. »
I read the question from your other thread. The responses are what I would expect. S&S makes most if not all it own parts. I don't doubt that some will be made overseas, but even then they must meet with S&S standards. You can bet S&S has tested the heck out of anything it gets from suppliers.There roller rocker are shot peaned, xrayed, and finished to S&S's exact specs.
Of all the members her who rebuild and do performance builds, not one would recommend Ultima rockers, or any part likely.
S&S stands 100% behind anything they make, my first choice is S&S!!! FWIW Buffalo :chop:

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 06:44:04 AM. »
I read the question from your other thread. The responses are what I would expect. S&S makes most if not all it own parts. I don't doubt that some will be made overseas, but even then they must meet with S&S standards. You can bet S&S has tested the heck out of anything it gets from suppliers.There roller rocker are shot peaned, xrayed, and finished to S&S's exact specs.
Of all the members her who rebuild and do performance builds, not one would recommend Ultima rockers, or any part likely.
S&S stands 100% behind anything they make, my first choice is S&S!!! FWIW Buffalo :chop:

:up:    Always has been great quality, and customer service IMHO.
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline Johnnykool6

• You polish... I'll ride...
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:03:56 AM. »
I've also heard the negatives! But all I can say is that I have 2 Ultima engines (127's), and both run great without any problems. But if you have the cash... you can't go wrong with the S&S's!!   :chop:

Online WhipLash96

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:12:04 AM. »
I've also heard the negatives! But all I can say is that I have 2 Ultima engines (127's), and both run great without any problems. But if you have the cash... you can't go wrong with the S&S's!!   :chop:

What kind of power are you making out of those engines? As a person that actually has an Ultima engine, would you feel comfortable putting their roller rockers into a 98' HD engine?

Offline Johnnykool6

• You polish... I'll ride...
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:38:10 AM. »
Ultima claims 140 hp at the rear wheel, and I've never dyno-ed it myself, but you better be holding on when you twist the throttle!! Thing pulls the wheel up with no prob! Leaving any rice behind! My second 127 has a Magnacharger being installed so it's down right now. So... not sure of the price difference your talking about, but if they're alot cheaper, I would use them, since my money tree has done shriveled up! And since I've built less than a 50 motors, there's probably more qualified people here! I used cranes on one of my 1340 shovel's, and had to do a bit of grinding on both the rockers, and housings! They were also around $480! Definitely makes your valve guides last longer!! Are you using stock cam and springs?
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 18, 2012. 11:44:06 AM. by Johnnykool6 »

Online WhipLash96

« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:28:35 AM. »
No, I will not be using stock springs or cam. Ok, basically the issue that this one guy is having is that they are coming from Jireh Cycles. I have spoken to a couple of different builders and they have no issues with them. I will be talking to another builder today and seeing what he thinks of them.

Offline wfolarry

• Site Supporter
  • What's that?
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:35:22 AM. »
I tried them on my own bike. Wiped out the bushings in a year. This was with springs that had 180# on the seat. With the stock beehives they would probably hold up better. The bushings didn't wear out but looked more like they disintegrated. Full of pock marks.

Offline speed limit

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:49:28 AM. »
I changed them out in my 127 when I installed S.T.D. stage IV heads because they are cast and would not clear larger valve retainers I went with Jim's they probably the same as SE its been about 30k and no problems
« Last Edit: Friday, October 19, 2012. 10:56:11 AM. by speed limit »
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.