Author Topic: TW-222 cams  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Snakepit

TW-222 cams
« on: Wednesday, September 12, 2012. 05:23:28 PM. »
I was thinking of using the TW-222 cams in my 2010 Ultra Limited 103. Just looking for feedback as to how much valve train noise level I might expect and overall performance. I would use a power vision tuner as per Fuel Moto's suggestion. My heads would remain stock, Super Sucker breather and CVO pipes with 1 3/4 fullsac baffles

Offline boooby1744

• Site Supporter
Re: TW-222 cams
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 12, 2012. 11:18:08 PM. »
You might be better off with a lower lift cam like a SE204 or a Crane 1-6000. Add a 30 or 31 tooth pully and you'll really enjoy your ride.

Offline Hillsidecyclecom

• Retired
  • Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012. 05:58:05 AM. »
I was thinking of using the TW-222 cams in my 2010 Ultra Limited 103. Just looking for feedback as to how much valve train noise level I might expect and overall performance. I would use a power vision tuner as per Fuel Moto's suggestion. My heads would remain stock, Super Sucker breather and CVO pipes with 1 3/4 fullsac baffles

Just what that cam is intended to be used for. :up:
Scott
"If I parrot or google information, folks will suspect I really know."

Offline ndmp40

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012. 06:35:54 AM. »
The CR575 would be another good choice.  Similar cams.

Offline Jamie Long

• Premium Vendor
    • Fuel Moto USA
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012. 07:31:21 AM. »

We worked with with Bobby developing the new TW-222 cam have installed a bunch of them, they have no notable valvetrain noise. Don't play too much into theories that get passed around about noisy Wood's cams (usually by someone running a competitors cam) While he certainly has some aggressive grinds, the "triple" series cams 222,555,777 are all pretty conservative and run nice and quiet. The combination of pushrods, lifters, valvesprings can/will make big differences. I recommend for best info talk to guys that have them in their bikes or shops that install them on a regular basis.

Offline torqueinc

• Site Supporter
  • When did "marketing" become "creative lying" ?
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 14, 2012. 08:27:32 AM. »
If all you intend to do is install the cams

Slap a 204 in there,reuse the stock pushrods and spend the extra money on having it tuned properly

Or join the cam of the month club and get a dyno sheet that looks just like the previous months cam of the month dyno sheet :idunno:
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 15, 2012. 06:44:34 AM. by torqueinc »
bluh bla ? Blah Blah Blah !

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Once you go Glide, there's no other ride!
TW-222 cams
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 14, 2012. 10:12:41 AM. »
I would bet the 222's will work well for you. I haven't seen any dyno sheets on them, or spoken to anyone who used them yet. But the timing numbers look like they should give you good power all the way through.

Brian

2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 14, 2012. 01:41:24 PM. »
I would bet the 222's will work well for you. I haven't seen any dyno sheets on them, or spoken to anyone who used them yet. But the timing numbers look like they should give you good power all the way through 4000RPM.

Brian

Fixed  Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 14, 2012. 03:41:34 PM. »
I would bet the 222's will work well for you. I haven't seen any dyno sheets on them, or spoken to anyone who used them yet. But the timing numbers look like they should give you good power all the way through 4000RPM.

Brian

Fixed  Max

Max, that's plagiarism!   :smileo:
« Last Edit: Friday, September 14, 2012. 06:35:26 PM. by Ohio HD »

Offline Snakepit

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012. 05:48:12 AM. »
thanks all...Fuel Moto is sending the cams along with the Power Vision and a tune

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012. 05:59:59 AM. »
thanks all...Fuel Moto is sending the cams along with the Power Vision and a tune

Cool! Please keep us posted as to how she runs for you.

I've been thinking of putting my now retired Andrews 48's in my Ultra, but am also interested in seeing how that 222 does. For my Ultra, I want that stump pulling power for her, (no I don't want the 255 school bus cams....).

Offline Snakepit

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012. 06:11:17 AM. »

Cool! Please keep us posted as to how she runs for you.

I've been thinking of putting my now retired Andrews 48's in my Ultra, but am also interested in seeing how that 222 does. For my Ultra, I want that stump pulling power for her, (no I don't want the 255 school bus cams....).
will do!

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012. 10:10:49 PM. »

Brian

Fixed  Max

haha  :smilep:  I bet they pull past 5K, but that's still funny!

Offline BUBBIE

• Site Supporter
  • 09 FLHR KING / 06 sport 1200 R
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012. 10:42:32 PM. »
Pretty good discussion on the tw 222 cams HERE. Even the specks....

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,53997.msg568690.html#msg568690

Some fun also in reading them..... Cracks me up. :hyst:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Offline happyman

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012. 10:52:52 PM. »
If all you intend to do is install the cams

Slap a 204 in there,reuse the stock pushrods and spend the extra money on having it tuned properly

Or join the cam of the month club and get a dyno sheet that looks just like the previous months cam of the month dyno sheet :idunno:

ya then a pile of um  on e bay and on all the forums  for sale 

Offline JCleary

« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 17, 2012. 12:47:20 PM. »
I have Woods 9B's on my Dyna.  Loud as heck, can hear 'em over my Thunderheader!

I also had Woods TW6-6 cams in my bagger.  They weren't noticeably louder than stock.

I wouldn't be afraid of a 222...

Offline GeorgeW

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012. 08:11:21 AM. »
Would it be worth it to replace my 255's with the TW-222 in a 96 ?

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012. 12:35:00 PM. »

If you are running a canned map.. You would probably be better off just getting the bike tuned..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline George W

« Reply #18 on: Friday, September 21, 2012. 08:17:03 AM. »

If you are running a canned map.. You would probably be better off just getting the bike tuned..

Max
this is my setup,,I have a 09 Ultra with a 96"motor, SE Fatshotz Mufflers and the New Boyesen High Flow A/C,,,I had my Dealer install SE 255 Cams in the 96" also he put the Download for the 103 SE Stage II Kit in my 96" .. The Bike ran a He!! of a lot better but ran a little warm or Hot... Then I had the Xieds instaled by American at Large Motorcycle Shop in Carrollton,KY ... This cooled the bike down and it runs Better Than it Ever Did ...All I can say is if you want to install Cams and don't want to add the Cost of a PCV or TTS and a Dyno Tune this might be the way to go....Im Very Happy with the way my bike runs..It's smooth has lots of Power with no poping on decel....

Let me add this,, American at Large does a lot of Motor work on Harleys they also have a Dyno for Tunning ,,After they installed the Xieds the Owner took my Ultra for a test ride when he returned I asked him if a Dyno Tune would help my bike ??? His answer was ,,,,Your bike runs strong very strong,, It would be a waste of Money to Dyno your bike,, for what little more you would get, it's just not worth the cost,,, I hope this helps anyone trying to decide on Xieds or even a Cam change..

My goal was to have a good runing "TROUBLE FREE" bike FROM 0-80 MPH (it will run pass 80 easy)..And so far its working ,, It's a blast to Ride in the Hills of Kentucky!!!

Offline Jamie Long

• Premium Vendor
    • Fuel Moto USA
« Reply #19 on: Friday, September 21, 2012. 08:54:35 AM. »

Max
this is my setup,,I have a 09 Ultra with a 96"motor, SE Fatshotz Mufflers and the New Boyesen High Flow A/C,,,I had my Dealer install SE 255 Cams in the 96" also he put the Download for the 103 SE Stage II Kit in my 96" .. The Bike ran a He!! of a lot better but ran a little warm or Hot... Then I had the Xieds instaled by American at Large Motorcycle Shop in Carrollton,KY ... This cooled the bike down and it runs Better Than it Ever Did ...All I can say is if you want to install Cams and don't want to add the Cost of a PCV or TTS and a Dyno Tune this might be the way to go....Im Very Happy with the way my bike runs..It's smooth has lots of Power with no poping on decel....

Let me add this,, American at Large does a lot of Motor work on Harleys they also have a Dyno for Tunning ,,After they installed the Xieds the Owner took my Ultra for a test ride when he returned I asked him if a Dyno Tune would help my bike ??? His answer was ,,,,Your bike runs strong very strong,, It would be a waste of Money to Dyno your bike,, for what little more you would get, it's just not worth the cost,,, I hope this helps anyone trying to decide on Xieds or even a Cam change..

My goal was to have a good runing "TROUBLE FREE" bike FROM 0-80 MPH (it will run pass 80 easy)..And so far its working ,, It's a blast to Ride in the Hills of Kentucky!!!

Using XIED's to adjust the closed loop portion of your mixture by a few tenths of an AFR point is not a replacement for a proper tune, nor is flashing a SE 103" stage II calibration into a 96" motor. I would absolutely put money that there would be good gains thru dyno tuning your setup, you have a nice combination that should tune out nicely. The swap to the TW-222 would likely not yield huge gains.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 21, 2012. 09:01:22 AM. by Jamie Long »