Author Topic: andrews 57h vs woods 777  (Read 4674 times)

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
  • Wanna get screwed? Go to the courthouse
andrews 57h vs woods 777
« on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 01:07:42 PM. »
i know everyone has thier own preference but i wanna get some input from the mass's. got an 07 roadglide. gonna be a 107, wiseco domed 10.5:1 pistons, juggs bored by big boys,heads cleaned up by big boyz using stock valves,se fuel injectors, se adj pushrods, not sure what lifters to use, and unsure of what cams to throw in. i dont see 6000 rpms very often, usually just when goofin' around with buddys out inthe country. the woods have more lift & duration but are also more money. from what i hear alot of people like the 57h's but do they like them more than the 777? let me know which way you guys would lean and why. thanks, Nick

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
Re: andrews 57h vs woods 777
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 03:35:15 PM. »
Have the W777 in a 103 with good flowing heads.. Works well but not been to the dyno yet.. I think autoworker is using a TW55 which should be better for your build at 10.5 to 1.. Between the 57 and the 777, I'd pick the 777.. Bet it makes more power almost everywhere..and the corrected CR is too high with the 57.. 

Max

Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Online av ultra

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 04:47:45 PM. »
Im pretty happy with the 55s. I have a 107 with 10.44 and wanted the ccp under 200 with the ca gas, me and the wife just came back from a 200 mile break in, runs pretty good, timing pretty much stock and no pinging when lugging or lots of stop & go traffic.

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 04:50:56 PM. »
did you use a kit or piece it together?

Online av ultra

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 08:07:33 PM. »
I pieced it together. After I did this I seen the hq kit, woulda probably gone that direction.

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 08:17:48 PM. »
hq kit? not sure i know what that is.

Online av ultra

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 09:18:19 PM. »

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 10:09:56 PM. »
Anyone ever ru the hq kit? Makes me a lil nervous that it doesn't say what brand of cams or pistons they use. Also it looks like it doesnt come with any gaskets except for the heads. I think that by the time you do the juggs, buy adj pushrods and a gasket set it would be just bout the same cost as the fuel moto kit.

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 06, 2012. 10:39:40 PM. »
The cams are their own.

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 07, 2012. 03:11:12 AM. »
I'm in the process of converting to a 107 top end too. I'm going to be running the Andrews 55's, and as Max stated, autoworker is running the 55's, and has been pretty happy with them.

The 777 would be a good fit, the 55's are a good fit, there are a bunch of cams that are good candidates out there. I started to use a Wood TW-8-6, but came across a steal of a deal on the Andrews 55's new in the box. So I decided to use them, the Wood cams are on the shelf for now.

By the way, I would recommend adding compression releases if you haven't decided to do that already. Keep us in the loop as to how things go.

added: BY the way, Max is correct about the compression, the 57's would not be a good mix with your 10.5.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 07, 2012. 03:16:01 AM. by Ohio HD »
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline Powerglides

• Powerglides
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 07, 2012. 04:52:00 AM. »
Anyone ever ru the hq kit? Makes me a lil nervous that it doesn't say what brand of cams or pistons they use. Also it looks like it doesnt come with any gaskets except for the heads. I think that by the time you do the juggs, buy adj pushrods and a gasket set it would be just bout the same cost as the fuel moto kit.
The HQ kit uses their own pistons (made to their design by CP) and the new HQ-540 cams. It also comes with .030 MLS head gaskets (cometic) and the Black Ops lifters. The pistons have a corrected compression height so .030" quench is achieved without any other machining, and the cams have a smaller base circle so that the slightly shorter engine height (thinner than OEM head gaskets) still leaves the hydraulic lifters in the middle of their travel. Stock pushrods are used, but the cam bearings should be changed for the Torrington (now Koyo) B168s.
Very quiet valve train as well.
Boz

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 07, 2012. 03:51:35 PM. »
The HQ kit uses their own pistons (made to their design by CP) and the new HQ-540 cams. It also comes with .030 MLS head gaskets (cometic) and the Black Ops lifters. The pistons have a corrected compression height so .030" quench is achieved without any other machining, and the cams have a smaller base circle so that the slightly shorter engine height (thinner than OEM head gaskets) still leaves the hydraulic lifters in the middle of their travel. Stock pushrods are used, but the cam bearings should be changed for the Torrington (now Koyo) B168s.
Very quiet valve train as well.

their dyno sheet shows some pretty impressive numbers. I can't help but think how well it might work with some more cam lift and ported heads?

Offline Powerglides

• Powerglides
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 07, 2012. 11:54:16 PM. »
The cams were designed specificly for this build with the following parameters
1) Easy on the OEM valve train
2) Stock pushrods
3) 10.5 compression
4) .030 quench
5) Flow characteristics of the later, standard unported heads.
6) Relatively easy to tune with less sensitivity to lower quality fuel.
7) A good exhaust, such as the Supermeg.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 08, 2012. 12:37:26 AM. by Powerglides »
Boz

Offline HogBag

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 08, 2012. 01:39:12 AM. »

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 08, 2012. 01:12:11 PM. »
im going to contact hq on monday and try to get some info from them. they dont seem to be really customer friendly (no tech questions answered by phone, only email) . I wanna see if they can keep those lifters maybe for a credit on jug boring. id like to also see what they think about using a higher lift cam, maybe the HQ-TC-575-HC. thanks for the help guys, Nick

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, September 08, 2012. 05:54:57 PM. »
Let us know what they say...

I wouldn't need lifters either, not even a thousand miles on my bike. I'd hate to buy something I don't need.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 08, 2012. 07:52:06 PM. by sfmichael »

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 02:05:59 PM. »
Their customer service is lacking to put it lightly. Here was our conversation
Me
looking into purchasing one of your 107 kits that you offer. I  had a few questions for you. 1) are there any other cam options that you guys have that can be included in the kit? maybe something that has a little more lift. 2) can the lifter be removed from that kit? i have some B lifters that have less than 5 k on them that id like to keep. maybe the cost of the lifters can go twords the labor of boring the juggs? thanks for your help, Nick
Him
Nicholas,
You can print a work order and cross off what you don't want before you send it in. All our cams are compatible with our heads so you can use one of our .600" lift cams if you prefer. Just add the part number on the work order.
Me
i planned on using my my heads and just having giving them a quick port job. the kit i was looking at was 
http://www.head-quarters.com/html/new_products.html 
and the cam i was looking into is  HQ-TC-575-HC .
would those cams be compatable with that kit and if so could i use those instead of the cam that comes with it? thanks for your time, Nick
Him
You would be better off using the cam in the kit.

So I'm not sure anything was really answered. I still have the same questions I had before. I like the idea of their kits but I wish they were a lil more helpful. I think I'll try to call the order phone number this week and see if I can get anywhere

Offline ndmp40

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 02:40:41 PM. »
im going to contact hq on monday and try to get some info from them. they dont seem to be really customer friendly (no tech questions answered by phone, only email) . I wanna see if they can keep those lifters maybe for a credit on jug boring. id like to also see what they think about using a higher lift cam, maybe the HQ-TC-575-HC. thanks for the help guys, Nick

I couldnt even get them to take my order.  No thanks, I now shop elsewhere.  They might be good, but not at customer service.  Not for me......

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 03:43:45 PM. »

I couldnt even get them to take my order.  No thanks, I now shop elsewhere.  They might be good, but not at customer service.  Not for me......

??? did you call or email?

Offline DaleW

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 07:17:11 PM. »
As per their site, you will get a quick response from Doug if you email him.If you arent going to a decent set of ported heads, why use a cam with more lift than your heads can flow?
2009 RoadKing Classic

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 08:04:35 PM. »
they might one of those places that has more business than they can handle   :nix:

Offline torqueinc

• Site Supporter
  • When did "marketing" become "creative lying" ?
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 09:01:02 PM. »
 Seems to me that given what you stated in the email you sent them he gave you the answers that you needed.

There are instructions on the site on ordering parts and crossing out the ones that you want to eliminate from the "kits"

Being a one-three man shop you do not have time to hold peoples hands or take half a dozen 5-10 minute phone calls or nothing gets done.

Answering your questions without writing you a novel seems like pretty damn good service to me
bluh bla ? Blah Blah Blah !

Offline nicadocius22

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 09:24:45 PM. »
Tourqueinc, I get that they might be busy or what not but so am I . It seems like a 5 minute phone call is more convenient than emailing back and for and back and than forth again. Plus then faxing a list of what I want to see if it's even posible. It's 2012, not 1982. Not everyone (me especially) know everything there is to know about engine building. If you want to sell products to the public you might want to try helping the people that are trying to give you money. I know via their website money is tight but I can't emagine that it will ever get better if consumers who are interested in their products can't contact them on the phone to get more information .

Maybe I'd get more head work done if I could get that higher lift cam and be able to not have to take their lifters. Not sure I'll ever find out.

Seems Like if they could have "held the hands" of A few customers (me, sfmike, Ndmp40)  maybe they would have couple extra bucks in their pockets

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 09:55:08 PM. »
I see both sides here. I felt most questions were answered adequately but the cam answer seemed inadequate. Would also have liked to know how much of the kit cost would be reduced by removing the lifters from the kit. And if the cam in the kit makes more or better power than their 575, than a short explanation might have been in order.
Heaven forbid we should want to spend a little/lot more money having our heads ported and maybe we just want more power than the standard kit has to offer. There is no one size fits all in this game, but they're also free to run their business anyway they see fit.

From what I hear Jamie at FuelMoto isn't too hard to reach. I think Kirby will also visit with you, or Herko, or WFO Larry, or Panhead Red, or Dewey, or Cyclerama, or GMR Performance, or Hillside, or....well, you get the picture
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 10:02:03 PM. by sfmichael »

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, September 09, 2012. 10:08:42 PM. »
Nick,

I consider the HQ response more than adequate.. Partly because you are not asking the right questions.  You've taken the kit and asked about swapping 1 of the 2 performance components, the cams. The only other performance component is the big bore pistons. Then you ask if it is still the same kit.. It ain't..

Max

Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone