Author Topic: Baker +1 or +1.5 Oil Pan  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
Baker +1 or +1.5 Oil Pan
« on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 07:59:40 AM. »
Just curious if anyone has used the Baker +1 or +1.5 oil pan, and what you thought of it?

I think that anytime you can add oil capacity, that's a good thing, so that's really a no brainer, and the relocated oil pickup makes sense. Just wondering how the fit up was, and how was the clearance with the frame, etc.? It's pretty pricey, and the gains might be hard to justify, but then, we buy things for our bikes all the time that don't really pay back what we invested....    :wink:

Anyone have one, what do you like or dislike about it?
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline tdkkart

Re: Baker +1 or +1.5 Oil Pan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 08:19:40 AM. »
the gains might be hard to justify,

This is my thinking. Yes, carrying another quart or two of oil is probably a good thing, but it's still gonna run the same temp, just take longer to get there.

It is too expensive to fix what's really a non-existent problem for 99% of riders.

Offline HOGMIKE

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 08:23:24 AM. »
Just curious if anyone has used the Baker +1 or +1.5 oil pan, and what you thought of it?

I think that anytime you can add oil capacity, that's a good thing, so that's really a no brainer, and the relocated oil pickup makes sense. Just wondering how the fit up was, and how was the clearance with the frame, etc.? It's pretty pricey, and the gains might be hard to justify, but then, we buy things for our bikes all the time that don't really pay back what we invested....    :wink:

What year/model bike?
I have the baker on my EVO and I can put in a full 4 qts oil now. The oil path through the pan is more efficient than the OEM path also.
The later OEM pans have a baffle plate added to the pan to alter the oil path and addressed the issue of short cycling the oil return/feed.
I think this change happened in '09.
I like the Baker pan, quality.
 :smiled:

HOGMIKE

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 08:24:20 AM. »
Yep, I agree that the temp of the oil in the pan would most likely not change. I think where Baker is getting his claim of lower oil temps to the motor, is the rerouting the oil pickup away from the oil return. Though I don't know how or where he would be measuring the oil temperature. I might have to email him and ask, if he's claiming the oil in the pan is cooler, hhmm... not sure that it could be either.

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 08:27:38 AM. »

What year/model bike?
I have the baker on my EVO and I can put in a full 4 qts oil now. The oil path through the pan is more efficient than the OEM path also.
The later OEM pans have a baffle plate added to the pan to alter the oil path and addressed the issue of short cycling the oil return/feed.
I think this change happened in '09.
I like the Baker pan, quality.
 :smiled:

I'm considering a +1 for my '08 SG. I inquired about the +1 and +1.5 just to gain more feedback hopefully. It's one of those, I believe that benefit would come from it, just maybe not all that measurable things.

Offline TweekmyTwin

• Cheap SOB
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 09:38:15 AM. »
I have the plus 1. Having that extra qt. in my oil pan instead of my saddle bag on my cross country trips sure make it nice. I see guys always checking and adding oil only to have it come back out of the breathers due to over filling. If you look at the stock pan.. the feed and return is right next to each other and the Baker has the return at the back of the pan. No more plastic baffle. I believe the oil on the Baker circulates much better or the way it should be. Is it worth $400 bucks...does it cool the oil more.. I have to believe it does so it's worth it. JMO..

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 09:59:37 AM. »
I have the plus 1. Having that extra qt. in my oil pan instead of my saddle bag on my cross country trips sure make it nice. I see guys always checking and adding oil only to have it come back out of the breathers due to over filling. If you look at the stock pan.. the feed and return is right next to each other and the Baker has the return at the back of the pan. No more plastic baffle. I believe the oil on the Baker circulates much better or the way it should be. Is it worth $400 bucks...does it cool the oil more.. I have to believe it does so it's worth it. JMO..

Cool,   :wink:  Get it?? 

If you don't mind my asking, where you bought yours? $400.00 sounds like a great price.

Offline TweekmyTwin

• Cheap SOB
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 10:07:30 AM. »
That's what I paid for it 4 yrs ago.. I got it from a member here. Calif.Phil who will get you the best price. He is one of the Premium Vendors.

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 10:11:34 AM. »
That's what I paid for it 4 yrs ago.. I got it from a member here. Calif.Phil who will get you the best price. He is one of the Premium Vendors.

Thanks, I'll get with Phil if I decide to get one.

Offline akjeff

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 10:21:31 AM. »
I'd considered the new +1.5 for the 09 up TC's, but they don't make it with the integral mount for the True Track like they do on the +1 for the earlier models. I ain't giving up the True-Track.

Jeff
'09 FLTR/120R/Dewey's headwork/TMan 625G/Fuel Moto XXX w/4" mufflers/HPI 55

Offline therocket

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012. 10:39:33 AM. »
I've got the Baker +1.5 oil pan installed on my 117 cu in 2011 Road King. Temps after my 117 build and +1.5 oil pan installed in 85-90 degree weather were between 239-241 on the highway. I really don't think the oil pan did much in lowering oil temps, maybe a few degrees or so. The real difference in lowering my oil temps came with the Jagg Fan Assist Oil Cooler I installed which lowered the highway temps to 231 degrees and stabilized oil temps to no higher than 231 degrees in traffic and stop and go driving.

Offline Richard K

• Live To Ride Ride To Eat
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 06:58:32 AM. »
 :chop:
A piece of info for anyone thinking about installing a 1.5 on a TriGlide. I will not fit. I bought one for my 2010 TriGlide, with Baker tech guy telling me it will fit just fine. He said they had sold a number of them to trike owners with no problems. What it turned out was they had sold to conversions.

The TriGlide has different, thicker, corner fittings on the lower frame, they are larger and stronger for the trikes so the pan hits the right side corner. If that is not bad enough the belt on a TriGlide is considerably wider than a Harley touring model 2 wheeler so the belt hits the pan.

$400 not gona to happen today $600+. I was not pleased that they lead me to understand they had fitment for the TriGlide when in fact they had never put one on a HD trike. They could have easily cast the pan to fit all models but just screwed the pooch on this one. Especially given the trikes are the worst on heat and pulling the heaviest loads and need the added oil the most.
Go figure!!
Keep the shinny side up my friends

Offline HOGMIKE

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 07:01:36 AM. »
:chop:
A piece of info for anyone thinking about installing a 1.5 on a TriGlide. I will not fit. I bought one for my 2010 TriGlide, with Baker tech guy telling me it will fit just fine. He said they had sold a number of them to trike owners with no problems. What it turned out was they had sold to conversions.

The TriGlide has different, thicker, corner fittings on the lower frame, they are larger and stronger for the trikes so the pan hits the right side corner. If that is not bad enough the belt on a TriGlide is considerably wider than a Harley touring model 2 wheeler so the belt hits the pan.

$400 not gona to happen today $600+. I was not pleased that they lead me to understand they had fitment for the TriGlide when in fact they had never put one on a HD trike. They could have easily cast the pan to fit all models but just screwed the pooch on this one. Especially given the trikes are the worst on heat and pulling the heaviest loads and need the added oil the most.
Go figure!!
Keep the shinny side up my friends

What was your purpose to want to go to the Baker pan on your trike?
How "stock" is your trike?
 :nix:
HOGMIKE

Offline JohnCA58

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 09:02:45 AM. »
Well I put one on my 120 set up and last weekend did a first trip,  weather here in Sacto got to 102 on the return trip and highest I saw was 234,  most of the trip it would stay around 200 to 215 on  mostly twisties and being stuck behind a slow car or motorhome. :unsure:   my 98 c.i. was always around 235 to 250 in the high heat days with stock pan.   I am sold.    :bike:
2000 Road King  HTT120 c.i. 3.68 gearing 3.17 OD kick ass ride

Offline q1svt

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 10:26:46 AM. »
I'm considering a +1 for my '08 SG. I inquired about the +1 and +1.5 just to gain more feedback hopefully. It's one of those, I believe that benefit would come from it, just maybe not all that measurable things.

Ohio
In the 2009 Model Year Technical document on page 11 shows the new HD oil pan with the new revised routing and it is a replacement part for older years too.  Installed one on my 06 SG and @ about $100.00 it's a whole lot cheaper and works very well in the heat of So Cal on a built 95"

Forum section 'Instruction Sheets, Bulletins, Recalls - HD'

JMHO

It will also allow you to run any of the 09+ head pipes  :wink:

EDIT:  Removed Hot-Link
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 11:53:06 AM. by FSG »

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 10:40:42 AM. »

Ohio
In the 2009 Model Year Technical document on page 11 shows the new HD oil pan with the new revised routing and it is a replacement part for older years too.  Installed one on my 06 SG and @ about $100.00 it's a whole lot cheaper and works very well in the heat of So Cal on a built 95"

Forum section 'Instruction Sheets, Bulletins, Recalls - HD'

2009_Model_Year_Technical_Forum

JMHO

It will also allow you to run any of the 09+ head pipes  :wink:

EDIT:  Removed Hot-Link

I wasn't aware they had a retrofit for the return / feed, that's good to know. One of the benefits I like is just having the additional oil, that can never hurt. And I'm a 2 into 1 guy mostly, except on my '09 Ultra, exhaust head pipes will stay stock on it.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 11:54:00 AM. by FSG »

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 10:43:52 AM. »
I just ordered a +1.5 for my 11 Road Glide. I'll know soon enough if it helps out with temps.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 10:58:10 AM. »
I just ordered a +1.5 for my 11 Road Glide. I'll know soon enough if it helps out with temps.

Yes, a road test report please.   :chop:

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 12:03:54 PM. »

Hey Coyote, if you can, how about a few pics of the new pan going in? maybe a before, and after, of the space around the pan and frame. If you can get in there to take a pic that is.

Offline koko3052

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 12:27:56 PM. »

Hey Coyote, if you can, how about a few pics of the new pan going in? maybe a before, and after, of the space around the pan and frame. If you can get in there to take a pic that is.
Large mirror & camera..maybe?? :pop:

Offline FXDBI

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 01:04:22 PM. »

Large mirror & camera..maybe?? :pop:

What the hell live video ! Give them something educational to watch in the shed...lol   :potstir:

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 01:06:51 PM. »

Will do. I was told it would be a couple of weeks or so. I guess they were out of stock.
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline Herko

• Southern Indiana (Louisville KY Metro Area)
    • NRA.ORG
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 01:34:09 PM. »
The oil routing through the Baker pans prompted their usage here...not so much the extra quart. The oil quantity 'effect' can be enhanced via the routing alone. Close study of the OE pans and oil routing description in the factory SM's can definitely be improved upon by comparison. The +1.0's were available then but not the 1.5's at the time. The +1.5's sound even better if fitment is not an undue tradeoff.
NOW MORE THAN EVER, JOIN THE NRA.
http://WWW.NRA.ORG/

Online Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012. 11:02:43 PM. »
Any of you guys got the late model take offs (09-up).. I'd be interested in a couple in Black..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline oldguy

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 29, 2012. 06:44:41 AM. »
I recently installed the 1.5 on my 09' EC. I think the oil temps were about 15 degrees lower than usual when running on the freeway. Normally I see around 225-230F, was around 195-205F with the new pan. Oil capacity is another story. With my stock pan I would usually put in 3 qts and my oil level would be 1/2 qt down. The new pan takes 4 qts to read the same. So I asked Bakers where the 5.5 qts this is supposed to hold comes from, and I was told to talk to the guy who designed it, that he was the one who made this claim?? I didn't bother to pursue it any further - it is what it is. The main reason for my purchase of this unit was to get more air volume in the pan and still have an adequate oil capacity, but I'm not sure how much I gained.
By the way, when you are installing the lower part of the pan (on an 09 frame) make sure you get the screws started in the holes through the frame cross member first. Mine was a MF to get in because the hole in the pan was slightly out of line with the hole in the cross member. Next time I would enlarge the hole in the cross member with a die grinder to make a bit more room.
Otherwise, it's a nice piece.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 29, 2012. 06:49:11 AM. by oldguy »