Author Topic: Baker Drivetrain Primary Chain Tensioner  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Bagger

• Low End TQ Junkie
Baker Drivetrain Primary Chain Tensioner
« on: Friday, June 22, 2012. 06:07:04 PM. »
This is probably to new for anyone to have installed. 

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs027/1102820649013/archive/1109412687367.html

The Attitude Chain Adjuster solves the issues associated with the stock auto chain tensioner on 2006-Later Dyna & 2007-Later Softail/Touring models.  By design, automatic chain tensioners ratchet your primary chain up to the next notch the moment there is enough slack, thus over tightening your chain.  One notch may not be a big deal, however you have no control over the mechanism and when it stops tightening.  The end result in many cases is that the primary chain is so tight that it will start wearing out left side motor case bearings, inner primary bearings, clutch hub bearings and transmission output gear bearings.  Our manual chain tensioner allows you to adjust the chain to the proper 5/8 - 7/8" (cold) freeplay, and never have to worry about the chain getting too tight.  We offer this chain adjuster for fitment with stock outer primary covers, as well as a package deal with the all new Bully Primary Cover.

Features
- Chain adjuster shoe machined from Nylon 66
- Adjuster bracket, dog bone and back support plate machined from 1045 billet
- 28% finer teeth spacing (compared to 2001-06 chain adjusters) for more accurate adjustments.
- Chain adjuster method same as 2001-06 style 'L-Bracket' adjusters.

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
Re: Baker Drivetrain Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 22, 2012. 06:19:32 PM. »
Nice piece and a part that is needed IMHO.

Offline jam65

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 22, 2012. 06:50:56 PM. »
I just installed mine yesterday.After opening the primary once again to do some clutch work I found my stock 07 Dyna  tensioner had my chain less than 3/8" of play(closer to 1/4")cold.Too damn tight for me. Have known that I had this issue and finally got my Baker Attitude after about two months.I have adjusted it to between 5/8 and 7/8 cold.Seems to be a nice piece.
 I got one from the second run of production.They have been out for about three months and the first run sold out very fast.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 22, 2012. 06:58:00 PM. by jam65 »

Offline mike jesse

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 22, 2012. 07:04:17 PM. »
Waiting for them to be in stock myself.
Would this be related to the compensator issue I wonder?

Offline topcat3815

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 03:42:25 AM. »
I got mine from PRO TWIN in Georgia, he said he had about a dozen more if anyone needs one. Fast shipper and I am not connected to them in anyway

Offline hrdtail78

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 08:42:29 AM. »
I got one left in stock.   I have a hard time keeping them.  I like mine so far and like the concept, but I really dont have enough miles on it to say one way or the other, but my chain isn't too tight.
Beer taste w/ a beer poketbook     Semper Fi

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 08:50:54 AM. »
Full circle.. Love it..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline hrdtail78

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 09:36:25 AM. »
Full circle.. Love it..

Max

Just a good example of a more complicated mouse trap isn't always better.  I really think Rbabos was on to something with the up limiter he modded his stocker with.  If he could incorporate some sort of dampening leaf spring??  I think we could have a winner.

Max,
Been 20 years for me, but... on CB engines with automatic cam chain tensionors.  Doesnt the front side chain runner have some sort of dampening affect?
Beer taste w/ a beer poketbook     Semper Fi

Offline akjeff

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 09:44:58 AM. »
Just snagged one from Herco here on the board(thank you! great to deal with). Probably won't put it in, until I put my bike up for the winter. Will be curious to see how tight my auto adjuster is. Wish the MoCo had left the inspection window in the primary cover. I never had a problem with mine leaking on my evo. Suspect it was more of a cost saving move, rather than an "improvement".

Jeff
'09 FLTR/120R
'91 883XL Cafe winter project.

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 10:19:31 AM. »
Max,
Been 20 years for me, but... on CB engines with automatic cam chain tensionors.  Doesnt the front side chain runner have some sort of dampening affect?

You talking Honda? 68 through the 80s?

Not sure about after 80 but the 68 cb350 had a hydraulic tensioner.. Was a POS.. They changed to manual in 69.. You could retrofit easy..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline wurk_truk

• WTF is going on here!
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 10:20:28 AM. »
I got one left in stock.   I have a hard time keeping them.  I like mine so far and like the concept, but I really dont have enough miles on it to say one way or the other, but my chain isn't too tight.

I got mine from Jason.  Great Guy to deal with.   I'm in the same boat...  too new for me to comment upon.
Oh No!

Offline jam65

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012. 06:44:35 PM. »
On my Dyna with no comp. I got some schmackin going on.Going to adjust to 5/8" cold.Chain is flapping on decel.Just stating my situation FWIW.

Offline jimski

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012. 06:13:30 AM. »
I see that the price on the Baker site is $199. Has anyone seen a better price on these elsewhere?