Author Topic: Neutral (How does it work?)  (Read 690 times)

Offline FLSTN

Neutral (How does it work?)
« on: Monday, June 11, 2012. 08:25:48 AM. »
I posed this question on the Sportster forum, but I need more eyeballs. My '99 XL has always been touchy about neutral, a barely perceptible click, but I've had the bike for years and had mastered finding neutral. On my last ride I went for neutral as I came to a stop and heard a strange noise internally and was unable to get into neutral. Shifter goes into second from first and first from second with no feel of neutral as before. Anyway. long story even longer, I rode home, bike up and down shifted fine but no neutral. Also neutral light works and if I hold shifter in position which keeps light on it appears to be in neutral. Can anyone explain how neutral works? Thanks for any help.   

Online Nebraskarider1

Re: Neutral (How does it work?)
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 11, 2012. 12:38:09 PM. »
Never been in one but I bet there is some sort of a detent that keeps it from falling into gear.  Perhaps a spring loaded ball that goes into a groove in the shift shaft.   :scratch:   

Offline DaleW

« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 11, 2012. 01:41:15 PM. »
Neutral happens when the gears on the input and output shafts arent engaged on their shafts, so that both shafts are just spinning freely.As you rotate the shifter drum, it will engage and disengage the various gears onto those shafts.
2009 RoadKing Classic

Offline FLSTN

« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 11, 2012. 01:45:16 PM. »
Thanks Nebraskarider, you gave me a better understanding of what I was looking at in my Clymers manual. There is a detent plate mounted on the end of the shifter drum with 5 indentations that look alike(for the five gears, maybe) and 1 that looks a little different (for neutral?) and a detent arm that rolls into these detents as the shift lever is moved. Anyway I see three springs in the shifter mechanism (according to Clymer) and I hope the noise I heard was my primary chain eating one of them! 

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 11, 2012. 02:57:34 PM. »
may help

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 11, 2012. 04:12:35 PM. »
Not worked on ay sportsters with the issue but have seen what would be bolt #33 come loose or detent arm 21 and the roller come loose or slip/bends over the side of the detent cam. Gears still sorta work. Seen this on more than a few "metric bike"s..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline FLSTN

« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 11, 2012. 06:20:10 PM. »
Thanks FSG. I have that exploded view but not part numbers that I'm gonna need, I'm sure. I have the primary cover off but my power went off about 3 hours ago and just came back on. Gonna have to pull the chain to get a better look.  :soda: