Author Topic: Opions on Smith brothers adj. push rods  (Read 2976 times)

Offline flht1550

Opions on Smith brothers adj. push rods
« on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012. 08:20:40 PM. »
Got my new Smith Brothers Adj. push rods today and started reading the instructions and was wondering what others think about the instructions. What I'm wondering about is the loctite on the lower part that sites in the lifter. I understand what the reason for it is I'm just wondering about the next time It needs to come apart. Now with everything new and clean it threads together nice and smooth but I'm afraid it won't be so easy if I want to take them back out for a change of cams or service chain tensioners. I suppose one would have to take them out the top. With my SE pushrods it has never been a problem, Always been able to shorten them up and get them past the lifter blocks.

Offline Lowcountry Joe

• Site Supporter
Re: Opions on Smith brothers adj. push rods
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012. 08:38:22 PM. »
Blue or Red Loctite?
"Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012. 08:47:14 PM. »
Well they are plenty stiff and you can get replacement nuts for em easy..

BTW they recommend Red..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline trex

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012. 09:24:52 PM. »
Funny I had the same concern a couple days ago and emailed Smith Bros. Their answer was , yes it will be tough but it can be done. That sounded sorta odd to me being they are supposed to make lifter or cam changes easy and are called EZ or Quick Install.

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012. 11:01:43 PM. »
I'm on my 3rd set of cams in mt 07 EGC.. May change again soon.. They come apart and got back together just fine.. They are a bit of a PITA to RnR but they work fine. Don't use to much Red and make sure you remove all the old Locktite..

Max

No Collar to the Bone

Offline trex

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012. 11:06:53 PM. »
Max did you replace the lock nuts or were they still good?

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012. 11:10:20 PM. »
Nope.. They were still good..
Max
No Collar to the Bone

Offline Topend

• Southwest Michigan
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 25, 2012. 02:44:00 AM. »
To remove them once installed you can just take the lifter blocks and they can be removed. Little more trouble but nice pushrods.
95 CU IN, Stock cams, 42 Mikuni & Free Flow AC, Modified Pro-Pipe Exhaust

Offline flht1550

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012. 03:38:17 PM. »
Had reason to remove the pushrods today and the only way I could was to lift the lifter block up and separated the two half that way to get them out. Even then you'd have to reassemble the same way because i couldn't get the lower part of the pushrod unthreaded because of the red loctite that they tell you to use. If i tried to hold the threaded part I was afraid I'd jimmy up the threads and than they wouldn't turn freely by hand to reassembled in the upper portion of the pushrod.By the time I good through all this trouble I could just as EZ and probably faster remove my upper rocker box and rocker arms and remove out the top side. Not very EZ as their described, I'd have a hard time recommending these.

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012. 03:43:19 PM. »
I recommend nothing else except for the small builds then SE tapers. I do like their regular tapers better than the version that they supply a tool and try to accommodate the reuse of the stock pushrod tubes, those are a PITA but that said no loctite is needed on any of them.

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012. 04:35:04 PM. »
Here's an email from Greg Tanner at Smith Bros. I asked him his opinion on using the loctite. He basically says that it's not needed, but, infers they'll be unlikely to loosen with the loctite. I would have to agree.

from email:
Some people are uncomfortable with just the jam nuts and feel better using
the Loctite as well. It's not required but it's entirely up to you as the
installer what your comfort level is. Also, some guys like to change cams a
lot so not using it makes it easier to do the swap.

Greg Tanner
Smith Brothers Pushrods
800-367-1533
www.pushrods.net
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline flht1550

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012. 04:43:12 PM. »
I'd didn't know they had any Reg. Tapered pushrods ?  What do they look like. I don't know why they can't be made to work like SE PR's Where you can screw them together to shorten and just take them out. Like so many other things people try to sell you on. And in the end it either doesn't work or is just a PITA. Let's hear from everybody that was singing all the praise about these how do you remove this wonderful product. Thanks

Offline flht1550

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012. 04:53:44 PM. »
That nice of Greg to write that little note. Why don't they tell the purchaser that in the directions rather than providing the Red loctite and directing the user where to put it. And isn't that why we want adjustable pushrods for the ease changing cams, Chain tensioners, oil pump. Anyway I guess it's just another wasted $160.00 bucks. Should have stuck with my 10 year old cheap SE at least they truly are EZ install and removal

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012. 05:08:31 PM. »
Don't shoot the messenger.....   

There are adjustable push rods, and there are "EZ install" adjustable push rods. A lot of the adjustables for Evo's and TC require lifter blocks / lifter covers removed to get them in or out. Some require the rocker covers removed. Mostly the point to adjustable push rods is to be able to adjust out things like, machined head gasket surfaces, longer or shorter cylinders, cams with smaller base circle diameters, etc, etc. Unless they specifically say that you can install them with out taking rocker covers off, etc. you most likely will need to.

I plan to use my Smith Bros push rods when I build the 107 motor, and won't use the loctite till I find the correct amount of adjustment for the Wood TW-8-6 cam. Or other cam if I end up wanting to change.
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline walkindude61

« Reply #14 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 12:10:21 PM. »
I realize this is an older thread, but I wanted to share that I was able to remove the Smith Bros adj. pushrods (not the ez install) from my Evo motor without pulling the rockers or the lifter blocks and had no problem with the Loctite 261 (red) that had been applied when I installed them.
I used a small butane torch (a Harbor Freight crack pipe lighter) to soften the Loctite and was then able to run the adjuster screw up into the pushrod tube and once the base was free from the adjusting screw the pushrod had plenty of clearance to swing free of the lifter block for removal.
Yeah, it's a bit tedious running the adjuster screws into the pushrod tube but it sure beats having to remove the rockers and as it turns out, I didn't even have to remove the lifter blocks either.
I would definitely recommend the Smith Bros. adj tapers, they have served me well.
“I believe one of the best ways to achieve justice is to expose injustice.”

Offline les

« Reply #15 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 12:24:51 PM. »
I apologize for the hijack...

Is there still a problem with the SE's nuts breaking apart, or did H-D finally fix that problem?

Offline Tattoo

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 02:18:51 PM. »
I have used many sets of the SE pushrods and never had a nut break.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Offline Billy

• Site Supporter
  • Virginia Beach
« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 03:17:45 PM. »
 :agree:  My pushrod of choice SE tapered adjustables, I've installed dozens, never broke a nut, no loctite, and come with the shorter lower tubes for easy access to the adjuster.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Offline les

« Reply #18 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 05:57:36 PM. »
I appreciate the responses.  However, I wish I could get affirmation that H-D made a change because no other pushrod vendor has had an issue with nuts breaking.  Not true with the SE quick installs, and the only set I've broken a nut on.

Again, thanks for the success stories.  But I'm not going back until I get some real good info that they made a change or they are selling nuts separately. 

(Apologize for the hijack...I'll refrain from doing that again until at least next year.)

Offline INDA WIN

« Reply #19 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 06:23:43 PM. »
Smith Brothers?  When did they start making pushrods?  Last I knew they were making cough drops.  I especially liked the cherry ones.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #20 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 06:30:00 PM. »
I appreciate the responses.  However, I wish I could get affirmation that H-D made a change because no other pushrod vendor has had an issue with nuts breaking.  Not true with the SE quick installs, and the only set I've broken a nut on.

Again, thanks for the success stories.  But I'm not going back until I get some real good info that they made a change or they are selling nuts separately. 

(Apologize for the hijack...I'll refrain from doing that again until at least next year.)

Buy your own grade 8 nuts.

Offline koko3052

« Reply #21 on: Friday, November 08, 2013. 08:35:29 PM. »
 :up: :up:
Don't be bashing Smith Bros……best yet!!!!!

Online lilchief

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, November 09, 2013. 07:01:23 AM. »
I have the SB quick or EZ install p rods in my bike. They were not that quick or EZ to install on initial installation, and I've had them out & back in several times already. To get them out I collapse them all the way, then remove the tappet covers and take them & the tappet cover out together. To re-install, I do the same thing, but it's kinda like a puzzle. I remove the exhaust lifter, slide the bottom of the intake rod into the open bore & then up into the head at the intake hole, then move the bottom over to the intake lifter. Hold the whole assembly up, including rods, tubes, & gasket & slide the exhaust lifter back into the bore, and torque down the tappet cover. Then adjust the rods. It can be done quite easily once you figure out the puzzle.

Lil' Chief
Famous Last Words:
"Hey Guys, Watch Me!!!"

Online ThumperDeuce

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, November 09, 2013. 07:11:53 AM. »
From what I've read one of the major advantages to the Smith Bros. stuff is that they are very rigid and don't flex as much as the other brands.
AMBASSADOR TO THE AFRICA REFUGEE AND BENEFICIARIES COMMITTEE HERE IN GHANA

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 09, 2013. 07:31:01 AM. »
Smith Bros is the OEM for many brands of pushrods. Most of the shops that offer their own brand of pushrods are really getting them from Smith Bros. That being said, like most manufacturers, they offer different product lines. Asking for opinions on Smith Bros is akin to asking for opinions on GM.

A better way to ask the question would be what are you opinions on the Smith Bros 'type x' pushrods?

For what its worth, I have seen a couple side by side comparisons of pushrods on a Spin-Tron. At lifts in the range of .650" and speeds of 6k rpm, most all of them looked like wet noodles. The one-piece 7/16" rods were pretty solid all the way to 7,500 rpm. The 7/16" adjustable s looked ok, just not as good as the one-piece units. The quick install pushrods were all over the place. I wanted to put on a set of safety glasses for fear those rods would break.

I get why guys are tempted by those quick install rods, but after having seen them on the Spin-Tron I would not run them on anything other than a bolt in cam with light springs and a low rpm expectation.
Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.