Author Topic: Velva-Touch  (Read 1553 times)

Offline panomaniac

Velva-Touch
« on: Monday, April 23, 2012. 12:10:56 PM. »
Talked to Vern at Velva-Touch today. Needed a part for Pan lifters I bought from him years ago.  If any one wants these lifters for Pan or Shovel better get them now. When present stock is gone there will be no more. Says the market is just not there due to poor economy.  Will have to convert to his Evo lifters for Shovel and run Evo cam. I think Craig has already done this, or some form, but not with Velva.

Offline CraigArizona85248

• HTT Slacker and All Around Photo Ho
  • Administrator
Re: Velva-Touch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012. 10:51:42 AM. »
I do run Evo lifters and Evo lifter blocks in my panhead.  But I run a Panhead cam (Crane 296A).  I don't like the bulky look of the Evo blocks but they sure do work well.  Over 95K miles on this cam and lifters.

-Craig

Offline panomaniac

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012. 09:56:13 AM. »
Craig did you have to go to cam bearings instead of bushing. I have heard that most cam makers only make Pan cams for bearings. Shovel specs. I am running old Sifton cobra, and think I might make a change.  I had  the old specks on how to change case to bearings, but I lost them somewhere along the way. Bushings are going to have to come out anyway.

Offline shovelbill

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012. 12:26:56 PM. »
Talked to Vern at Velva-Touch today. Needed a part for Pan lifters I bought from him years ago.  If any one wants these lifters for Pan or Shovel better get them now. When present stock is gone there will be no more. Says the market is just not there due to poor economy.  Will have to convert to his Evo lifters for Shovel and run Evo cam. I think Craig has already done this, or some form, but not with Velva.

curious......did you talk to Vern who used to own VT or Dave that now owns VT?

Craig.....did you ever throw a degree wheel on her and see what that pan cam is now as far as duration goes......i'm curious about that too. should change the duration 8*s or so.

Offline panomaniac

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012. 06:14:42 PM. »
You are right . It was Dave. I called him Vern and he did not correct me. The email he sent me regarding my questions telling me that he shipped was signed Dave.   :doh:

Offline CraigArizona85248

• HTT Slacker and All Around Photo Ho
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 27, 2012. 10:39:01 AM. »
Panomaniac, I did change from bushings to bearings when this cam was installed.  This was done as part of a complete rebuild back in 2003.  I had Perry Kime at Flo Headworks do all my machine work on that job so I don't know the details of what he did to install the bearings.

Shovelbill, I have not used a degree wheel to measure the actual duration.

-Craig

Offline shovelbill

« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 27, 2012. 04:11:58 PM. »
thanks gents..........

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 05, 2012. 02:02:19 PM. »

There is nothing better than Velva Touch for the Pans and Shovels. I used a lot of them on bikes in the past.

I didn't think Vern had the business any more? I thought it belonged to a guy named David, on the east coast? Vern was in Marion Ohio.

:doh:

Sorry, I didn't read far enough....
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 05, 2012. 04:39:09 PM. by Ohio HD »
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"