Author Topic: Andrews 57_Specs??  (Read 1792 times)

Offline djl

• Site Supporter
Andrews 57_Specs??
« on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 12:36:19 PM. »
Anybody got them yet?

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
  • Maybe the dingo ate your baby!
Re: Andrews 57_Specs??
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 12:51:52 PM. »
Anybody got them yet?

Hot off the presses, still not on their web site....

« Last Edit: Friday, April 13, 2012. 03:07:27 PM. by FSG »
2009 Ultra Classic - Bone Stock 96"
2008 Street Glide - Bone Stock 117"

Offline acbacb

• Site Supporter
  • Torque is your friend
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 01:10:45 PM. »
The 57H is on backorder until the first week of June according to Gary Wallace at Andrews Products via a webmail inquiry.

Question, What does the term "broad-tip cam" mean? Please explain.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 13, 2012. 01:14:57 PM. by acbacb »
2012 FLHX Street Glide

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 02:14:50 PM. »
The 57H is on backorder until the first week of June according to Gary Wallace at Andrews Products via a webmail inquiry.

Question, What does the term "broad-tip cam" mean? Please explain.

Well, think of how the lobe on a cam looks in general. It has a taper coming up from the base diameter, and then has a radius at the peak, where maximum lift happens. A broad tip cam is has a lobe profile that has a little faster ramps leading to the radius, as well the radius is larger. If you think in exaggeration, the broad tip cam is more square like, rather than having gentle ramps leading to the lobe radius.

You can get a little more flow with this kind of lobe design, also the valve reaches maximum lift faster. The downside is they tend to be slightly harder on the valve train. Back in the day, we called them "fast ramps" rather than broad tip. Leinweber cams are all fashioned after that type of design.

http://www.leinewebercams.com/
« Last Edit: Friday, April 13, 2012. 02:23:01 PM. by Ohio HD »

Offline acbacb

• Site Supporter
  • Torque is your friend
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 02:53:34 PM. »
Thanks OhioD for explaining that term. I had a feeling that's what it meant but I wasn't sure. I'm just an amateur. Ii is my understanding that Woods cams also tend to have "steep" ramps which causes a bit more valve train noise than the average garden variety cam.

Does that mean "steep ramps" and "fast ramps" are synonymous?
2012 FLHX Street Glide

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 03:11:11 PM. »
Thanks OhioD for explaining that term. I had a feeling that's what it meant but I wasn't sure. I'm just an amateur. Ii is my understanding that Woods cams also tend to have "steep" ramps which causes a bit more valve train noise than the average garden variety cam.

Does that mean "steep ramps" and "fast ramps" are synonymous?

Yes, it means the same thing. I've not used Woods cams before, but that's pretty much what I've read also. I've used a lot of Leinweber cams over the years, they make your bike scoot! They also can be a little noisy too.

Offline djl

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 06:35:12 PM. »
Quote from: Ohio HD

Well, think of how the lobe on a cam looks in general. It has a taper coming up from the base diameter, and then has a radius at the peak, where maximum lift happens. A broad tip cam is has a lobe profile that has a little faster ramps leading to the radius, as well the radius is larger. If you think in exaggeration, the broad tip cam is more square like, rather than having gentle ramps leading to the lobe radius.

You can get a little more flow with this kind of lobe design, also the valve reaches maximum lift faster. The downside is they tend to be slightly harder on the valve train. Back in the day, we called them "fast ramps" rather than broad tip. Leinweber cams are all fashioned after that type of design.

The 48 is also described as a "broad tip" cam. As cams go, Andrews cams are quiet.  Installed the 48s in a friends '10 Fatboy and they weren't noisy, so "broad tip" = fast ramps but does not = noisy as in fast/aggressive Woods ramps?

Thinking about this cam in an all bore 107" along with TMan's 590.

Thanks for the information.

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 07:40:51 PM. »
Quote from: Ohio HD

The 48 is also described as a "broad tip" cam. As cams go, Andrews cams are quiet.  Installed the 48s in a friends '10 Fatboy and they weren't noisy, so "broad tip" = fast ramps but does not = noisy as in fast/aggressive Woods ramps?

Thinking about this cam in an all bore 107" along with TMan's 590.

Thanks for the information.

I would agree, for the most part, Andrews cams are pretty silent. I do remember I used to use the Andrews EV27 cam in 80 inch Evo's for people. That an S&S Super E, and good exhaust would wake them up pretty good. But that EV27 cam was a loud one.

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 08:26:14 PM. »
The EV27 is a good cam for a stock block EVO, yes not quiet
Regarding the new grind, Is this really something new? Isn't a TW37 Broad Tip, or the 54? What is the difference between a non-broad tip and a broad tip, what definitively defines that term?
Here is an interesting site to study cam design
http://harveycrane.com/ramp_secrets.htm

« Last Edit: Friday, April 13, 2012. 08:35:51 PM. by Deweysheads »

Offline Ohio HD

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 13, 2012. 08:32:31 PM. »
The EV27 is a good cam, yes not quiet
Regarding the new grind, Is this really something new? Isn't a TW37 Broad Tip, or the 54?

Not sure about the 37 or 54, but I think the 48 is a broad tip design.