Author Topic: FATSO cases  (Read 2318 times)

Online wfolarry

• Site Supporter
  • Don't know if I know what you're talking about
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
FATSO cases
« on: Tuesday, February 07, 2012. 06:16:07 AM. »
At the dealer show in Cinci over the weekend I got a look at Ultima's new cases for a fatso motor. They moved the camchest over a 1/4" for more meat around the cylinder bores. This requires a 1/4" longer pinion shaft like S&S uses on their big bores. These cases accept the twincam top end with the O ring instead of a base gasket. If using stock heads you still have to weld up & relocate the intake pushrod holes but overall I think it's a nice improvement for somebody that wants to go this route. They have 2 different setups. One uses smaller flywheels [8 1/4] which they sell and the other uses stock size flywheels [8 1/2].
Internet
Where bad info travels @ fiber optic speed & good info @ dial up speed

Offline catmcaw

Re: FATSO cases
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 07, 2012. 07:46:48 AM. »
  Larry
    I like the idea of the Fatso motor. I'm thinking the biggest PITA would be to relocate the pushrod holes. Could Sputhe Fatso pushrods be an option?

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 07, 2012. 08:28:28 AM. »
I have built a FATSO using the cases from Sputhe. Big differences between the Sputhe and Ultima case is the Sputhe case uses the oem pinion shaft. With the Sputhe cases the cylinder fins have to be cut down in the pushrod area but the pushrod holes remain the same.

Delkron offers a service to relocate the pushrod holes.

Ultima also offers connecting rods for the evo crank that are sized for the standard TC wrist pin. This allows the use of standard oem harley pistons.

I think if I were to do it again, I would use the Sputhe case and the Ultima connecting rods.
Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 07, 2012. 09:04:02 AM. »
Glad to hear that Ultima offers properly sized rods. That was one of the things that turned me away from doing one a few years back. that and the fact that I was never able to talk to anyone from Ultima to answer the questions I had. I would be a LOT more comfortable using Ultima stuff if they had a dedicated Customer Service line.

Offline catmcaw

« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 10, 2012. 10:18:09 AM. »
 Talked with Jason at Jireh and he said they should have the  Fatso cases in 2 weeks but he could not give me a price until they come in.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 10, 2012. 10:32:03 AM. »
I would really like to find out what the case deck hight is on their Fatso cases. I have a complete 4.1/8" stroke crank setup from an
S&S 111". It has the .25" longer pinion and the rods accept the Twinkie sized wrist pin. However, the rods are 7.66" long (center to center)
making them almost 1/4" longer than stock. If it could be made to work I think it would make an excellent Fatso crank assembly.

Online wfolarry

• Site Supporter
  • Don't know if I know what you're talking about
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 10, 2012. 05:00:21 PM. »
The deck height has been adjusted so you use standard TC pistons. I don't know what that actual measurement is. The rods are stock Evo length.
Internet
Where bad info travels @ fiber optic speed & good info @ dial up speed

Offline gryphon

« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 10, 2012. 05:07:27 PM. »
the problem would come on the upstroke. If the deck is too short and can't be compensated for with longer cylinders it's gonna stuff the pistons
into the heads. Lot's of compression but extremely short lived. and here again is the problem with Ultima. I can't just make a call and ask 'em.

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012. 04:57:24 AM. »
Call the number on the Sputhe website and Alan Sputhe himself will answer the phone. Delkron also makes a FATVO case. Call Delkron and ask for Jason Moses.
Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Offline stroker800

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012. 08:33:44 PM. »
  I have done a fatvo build bout 8 yrs ago with a buddy of mine,,,used the sputhe kit..100 cubes ,,very smooth motor,,Never relocated the pushrod tubes,,used the blue silicone O rings and had to flip P rod tubes upside down to avoid rods from rubbing..
Dave

Offline razorwire

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 03, 2012. 04:41:12 AM. »
the problem would come on the upstroke. If the deck is too short and can't be compensated for with longer cylinders it's gonna stuff the pistons
into the heads. Lot's of compression but extremely short lived. and here again is the problem with Ultima. I can't just make a call and ask 'em.

You might want to give Luc Leblanc or Gerry Merchant call at KCC/Merch for the deck height infromation. They have an Ultima Fatso case in the shop. We were taking a look at it yesterday.(506) 532-2033.
2009 Street Glide
NB, Canada