Author Topic: Fairing removal on a 1990 Electra Glide  (Read 1139 times)

Offline pigfixer

Fairing removal on a 1990 Electra Glide
« on: Tuesday, November 15, 2011. 09:42:13 AM. »
Can anyone give me some info on getting the fairing off to get access to the top of the fork tubes.
They seem to be leaking from the air fittings as well as the seals.
This is an air over oil system and everything is buried under a mess of wires and the radio...
Thanks
Glenn

Offline billzflht

Re: Fairing removal on a 1990 Electra Glide
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2011. 05:47:23 AM. »
I know this isnt what you requested but if I were you I would invest in a service manual from Harley.  The one you would need is for 84-90 flt/fxr models.  It is really too involved at least for me to explain here.  But not that bad a job with the manual to guide you first time.

Offline pigfixer

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2011. 07:16:27 PM. »
Thanks for your help, but if this was my bike I would already have a manual for it. I'm trying to do this for a friend, and money is tight for everyone, so buying a $50.00 + dollar manual is something he'd like to avoid.
Again thanks

Offline ridemyEVO

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2011. 10:47:12 PM. »
Well I can say I've had mine off at least a dozen times for
One reason or another. First you pull the headlight assembly removing right down to unplugging the headlight, now you need a small wrench or socket (don't ask me what size although I think 7/16 in 1/4 inch drive ) you need to reach into the fairing through the headlight hole and loosen the 2 nuts on the right and on the left, the nuts are on studs that are attached to the fairing , now that the 4 nuts are loosened remove the windshield nuts and bolts and remove windshield, put a towel on your fender for the next step which is to remove the 4 bolts that hold your Passing lights from the lower part of fairing and wiggle and turn the lights and bracket down and lay it on the towel on fender and you should now be able tO Pull the fairing off.
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage

Offline pigfixer

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 17, 2011. 07:56:11 AM. »
Thank you, that was very accurate, but I've already got that far. I need to get enough room to pull all the air fittings off the forks and pull both tubes to R&R seal's bushings oil and o-rings.

Offline ridemyEVO

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 17, 2011. 12:01:15 PM. »
Thank you, that was very accurate, but I've already got that far. I need to get enough room to pull all the air fittings off the forks and pull both tubes to R&R seal's bushings oil and o-rings.
I've never done that part of my bike so really got nothing to offer, i bet if you searched youtube and google it you'll come up with something though.
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage

Offline pigfixer

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 17, 2011. 06:56:53 PM. »
I tried google and only found what you had already described. I have no idea on how to search you tube.
I think all I need to do is remove the radio and I'll have the room I need to do the fork's.
Could anyone tell me how to remove the radio, it looks as if the outer cover has to come off then there's 4 bolts holding the radio in. How do you get that front cover off ?
Thanks for any and all help.

Offline Big Cahuna

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 19, 2011. 04:11:39 PM. »
Taking the front end apart can be a little involved. You really should have the manual handy for that surgery. But if money is tight, here's another way to get your hands on one. Hit up your local library. They loan manuals out also. Or just make copys of the parts you need to use. Hope this helps.,,

Offline still_havinfun

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 20, 2011. 05:41:28 AM. »
hey pigfixer, send me an e-mail address and i'll send some pics of the manual pages. or send me a fax # and i'll try to do it that way.
getting the radio cover off is a little bit of a headache. it's hard to describe, but on each side of the rubber cover close to the side of the radio is a dimple in the rubber. you are supposed to pierce that dimple with a 5/64th allen wrench and push it in about a little and angle it out a tad and then push it in a little more and press it inward and it will press in the tab on the side of the radio and you can gently pull out on that side of the radio and when it comes out a bit repeat that operation on the other side.
i have the old style radio you are dealing with and i can take some pics of that tab also