Author Topic: Adjusting pushrods  (Read 4473 times)

Offline les

Re: Adjusting pushrods
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, December 10, 2011. 03:22:39 PM. »
It only needs to be on the base circle.  Note that you are really not adjusting the pushrods, but rather the lifters.  In other words, you are changing the length of the pushrods in order to adjust the lifters.  Various lifters are to be adjusted differently, such as limited travel lifters.  Always think lifters and change the length of the pushrods to whatever the lifters require.  That is always done on the base circle of cams because that's always the reference point.

Offline calgary56

• My You Tube Videos
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, December 10, 2011. 03:32:32 PM. »
S&S Performance Parts - Pushrod Adjustment - J&P Cycles
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Offline Golfman

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, December 10, 2011. 04:35:47 PM. »
Also does it matter what stroke the cylinder you are adjusting the pushrods is on or only that it needs to be on the base circle of the cam?

It will only be on the base circle when the other cylinder is on or near overlap. ie, If you are adjusting the rear cylinder, pull the plugs, put it in gear (preferably high) and turn the rear wheel until both lifters are moving (one up and one down) on the cylinder you are not adjusting.

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, December 10, 2011. 04:35:49 PM. »
I saw on another post about adjusting pushrods that you can use the blunt end of a drill bit between the jamb nut and the flat on the end of the pushrod to measure the gap between the two. Will all four pushrods measure the same distance between these 2 points when set correctly?

Yes.  Stop the video in calgary56's post at 11:52 and you can see the gap.

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, December 10, 2011. 04:57:52 PM. »
.............and I would move that pushrod/lifter to the base circle and see if you can turn the pushrod  by hand then. If so, then I would start it

You really don't need to move it to the heal of the cam as long as the point of reference has been established.

Max: I thought the one turn from bottomed out was for the limited travel lifters; and 1/2 way between bottomed out and zero lash for the non limited travel lifters. Is that wrong?

Nothing is wrong.. What you are say is correct. Ideally.. Since we don't live in an ideal world, Abything from about 1/2 turn preload to 1/2 turn off of bottom is fare game..  :wink:
Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline 2006FXDCI

• Born to lose
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, December 10, 2011. 05:04:29 PM. »
Thanks for the help guys, I measured the gap in the front cylinder pushrods. The intake was 9/32" and the exhaust was 23/64" using drill bits to measure. The rear cylinder was the same so I think all is well. I am going to check the adjustment by putting cam on base circle as soon as I put my primary back together as the clutch and compensator are removed due to the P.O.S. SE comp. crapping out. This is the first time I have adjusted lifters on a Harley, sorry for all the dumb questions I'm trying to learn.
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

Offline Hilly13

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011. 12:20:12 AM. »
 I agree with Max, bottom out and adjust up
Just because its said don't make it so

Offline trex

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011. 11:48:22 AM. »
.............and I would move that pushrod/lifter to the base circle and see if you can turn the pushrod  by hand then. If so, then I would start it

You really don't need to move it to the heal of the cam as long as the point of reference has been established.

Max: I thought the one turn from bottomed out was for the limited travel lifters; and 1/2 way between bottomed out and zero lash for the non limited travel lifters. Is that wrong?

Nothing is wrong.. What you are say is correct. Ideally.. Since we don't live in an ideal world, Abything from about 1/2 turn preload to 1/2 turn off of bottom is fare game..  :wink:
Max
Max, so no matter the brand lifter it is safe to go all the way to the bottom, essentially making a solid lifter then adjusting up only a half turn or 3 flats on a 6 flat nut, no matter the threads per in., in my case 32. Not goina cause any valve to piston problem. Sorry, it must seem some of us just keep asking the same question using different words but like electrics, lifters are sort of mysterious to some of us and for piece of mind we need to be sure we are understanding.

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011. 02:18:41 PM. »
lifters are sort of mysterious to some of us and for piece of mind we need to be sure we are understanding.

On pre-rev limiter bike electronics, adjusting too deep might case problem if a shift was missed.. My Panhead would flat quit running until the lifters bled down.. Now days it's not an issue providing there is adequate pressure on the springs before the limiter.. Short travel lifters only make it easier to bottom and back off..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline trex

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011. 03:24:37 PM. »
lifters are sort of mysterious to some of us and for piece of mind we need to be sure we are understanding.

On pre-rev limiter bike electronics, adjusting too deep might case problem if a shift was missed.. My Panhead would flat quit running until the lifters bled down.. Now days it's not an issue providing there is adequate pressure on the springs before the limiter.. Short travel lifters only make it easier to bottom and back off..

Max
Thanks Max, think I get it now. I am going to install DTT Ignition Module to cure a little pinging on my 10.5-1 motor but will not adjust the rev limiter very far past stock as the motor makes great power without revving the crap outta it so no need to worry about the lifters pumping up.

Offline 2006FXDCI

• Born to lose
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011. 04:33:04 PM. »
Thank you for posting the video! I watched it a few times and pulled my plugs, put on the shot SE comp. shaft extension and turned motor over with a pipe wrench on shaft extension. Set front cylinder on overlap and adjusted rear cylinder lifters. Then just to double check adjustment on front I set rear cylinder on overlap and counted number of flats backing off pushrods and got 16 flats. I readjusted front cylinder lifters to 20 flats and let them bleed down, turned motor over by hand several times to make sure all is well and heard no sound of valve to valve or piston noise. Thanks again all who posted for your patience with my questions, my first time ever adjusting lifters.
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

Offline fourthgear

« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 12, 2011. 03:06:05 PM. »
On my Comp cams 875-1 lifters , when first installed with the conversion, I did the adj. to find the half way mark of travel , was the only way the lifters would be quiet.

I just re adj. them for the first time, yesterday , let them break in for last couple of months & went with the Comp Cams ,V thunder instructions this time & they are nice & quiet  , go figure.

There instructions read , one full turn after all slack taken up (zero lash ) I have SE adj & they a 24tpi so , I put the one turn & added one flat. I will take her out tomorrow for a test ride ( to work )

I also did the cam lobe posision a little different , I put one lifter up to near the top of its travel & adj. the oposite push rod , like I would do one of my Pan's .

Offline trex

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, April 04, 2012. 09:55:20 AM. »
I know this is an old post, but have a question without starting a new post. If using the adjustment method of going all the way down then backing off do you have to wait for the lifter to bleed down after the adjustment? I know this would be obvious if I was doing the adjustment, but without doing it I am curious. Seems that by backing off the wait for the bleed down might not be necessary.

Offline BUBBIE

• Site Supporter
  • 09 FLHR KING / 06 sport 1200 R
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, April 04, 2012. 10:07:05 AM. »
Looks to me that finding the bottom, lifter IS completely collapsed... The bottom is the Bottom. and going back the 1/2 turn, as long as you know it IS the bottom, should require NO wait.
JMUnderstanding

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Offline funracer2

• oops
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, April 04, 2012. 04:11:57 PM. »
i run 4 turns down and still noisey hell its a woods 408 its going to make noise but they do run well. :bike:

Offline trex

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, April 04, 2012. 09:07:26 PM. »
i run 4 turns down and still noisey hell its a woods 408 its going to make noise but they do run well. :bike:
Yea, I have a Wood TW8G and it hauls ass, but noisey.

Offline trex

« Reply #41 on: Sunday, May 06, 2012. 03:22:20 PM. »
My pushrods have been adjusted to .150 into the lifter for a few weeks now and everything sounds pretty good, still ticky when hot but after all the posts on the subject I realize it is the nature of the TC, especially with Wood cams, and I sure can't complain about how it runs, plenty of power everywhere. But I want to try one more thing just for the hell of it then leave it alone. I'm going to go all the way to the bottom of the lifter then back off 9 flats which with my 32 per Smith Bro pushrods should theoretically put me at the same .150 adjustment. At zero lash it should take about 6 full turns to hit bottom or .200. Am I correct with my calculations?

Offline FSG

• BrisVegas in Oz
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, May 06, 2012. 03:30:35 PM. »
32 tpi   ;  3.2 tp .100"   ;  6.4 tp .200" 

1 t = 0.03125"

9 flats = 1.5 turns = 0.046875"

Offline trex

« Reply #43 on: Sunday, May 06, 2012. 03:39:08 PM. »
Thanks FSG, looks like 10 flats would be closer

Offline moose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Monday, May 07, 2012. 06:38:46 AM. »
I took a set of travel limiters and bored them out put them in Jims and put it down to 0 so essentially running solids just did yesterday and will try it out today
Moose aka Glenn at the New Jersey Shore