Author Topic: wishbone frame derake question  (Read 1540 times)

Offline paysonpan

wishbone frame derake question
« on: Monday, September 26, 2011. 01:34:11 PM. »
I am building a mutt pan from all of my mismatched parts.  Total rebuild on 55FL Motor with a 49 front head and 51 rear Sifton 412 cam Linkert 74B.  57 trans completely rebuilt. Glide front end is also redone with new Forks by frank tubes and new slider bushings by Bills Cycle. I am now ready to attempt to derake the 51 frame. I ran this frame from early 80s to 93 with a 63FLH that had 66 shovel heads.The frame was raked about 1'2 inch when I bought it.All tabs are intact except sidecar loops.Bike handled well and was lots of fun. I now want to return the frame to stock rake.I have read and been told that the stock Panhead rake is 30 degrees. But my stupid question is, "30 degrees from the frame down tubes or 30 degrees from a perpendicular line running even with the bottom of the frame?" Is it possible to get a frame blueprint? Thanks for any advice and help.

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
Re: wishbone frame derake question
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 26, 2011. 02:59:15 PM. »
Paysonpan: I admire the wealth of knowledge here. Others will pipe in. Heres something I found for you. Notice the verticle line is established at the top front of the neck cup? The straight line established by the neck is compared to the verticle line and that establishes degree of rake? http://www.motorcycleauctionsonline.com/Posters/thumbnails/002.jpeg

Offline CraigArizona85248

• HTT Slacker and All Around Photo Ho
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 26, 2011. 10:07:43 PM. »
30* from the vertical line when the frame rails are parallel to the ground (I think that's the same as the perpendicular you mentioned in the original post).

You can find a fuzzy frame blue print here:  http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4427
You might have to signup to be a member (no cost) to view.

-Craig

Offline Pzokes

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2011. 04:25:48 AM. »
I deraked the frame on the chopper that I'm building now.  I didn't go all the way back to 30 degrees because I wanted to run an extended springer.  I did weld steel plates on both sides of the neck, where it had been cut. 

There's miles to go before I sleep.

Offline paysonpan

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 01, 2011. 05:46:54 PM. »
Thanks for the response. The blueprint will help me a lot.
I will post some pics when I get a little further along.