Author Topic: Andrews EV13 Cam  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Purple Pan Dan

Andrews EV13 Cam
« on: Monday, August 29, 2011. 07:30:30 PM. »
Ok I don't post here much as I am mostly into older Bikes. I do have a 1998 Road King with a carb. I bought it 5 years ago with 16,000 on it. I have taken it on 5 Cross Country trips, averaging 10,000 miles each. With a passenger, fully loaded. It is BONE STOCK. This summer before our trip, I drilled 10 1/2" holes in the A/C box and drove a piece of 1/2" Rebar through the Stock Mufflers. I would be willing to bet that added 5 horsepower that I can FEEL. After the trip I felt as I always have. The Bike performed FLAWLESSLY, getting 45 MPG. However, I have always felt there was more Pulling Power available, just under the surface. Last weekend I changed the 42 Intermediate jet for a 45 and installed an Andrews EV13 cam. I took the bike out and did 320 miles on the interstate. It felt like it pulled better. The Flat Spot it always had when I rolled it on at about 2500-2800 RPM was GONE!! Great....except for one thing. The thing sounded like a Shovelhead with Solid Lifters. BTW when I put in the EV13 I put in 4 new HD B lifters as the bike has 60,000 on it. I don't mind a Flathead, or even a Pan making some Valve Train noise, but NOT MY EVO!! So...after Much research, I went to my local Bike Shop and dug through the junk cams and picked out a Genuine Harley
"L" Evo Cam, came home and installed it, ALL of the Valve Train Noise WENT AWAY and it pulls at least as well as the EV13. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. So, if anyone wants a Like New EV13 in the box, with the instructions, for $75 including shipping....it's yours!!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline flhs90

• Ride until broken, buy parts, wrench, ride, repeat
Re: Andrews EV13 Cam
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 29, 2011. 11:24:41 PM. »
PurplePanDan:

Glad you posted over here on the evo board. Evos are the new shovels.LOL.
I hear what you're saying about the performance of your L grind stock HD cam.
I ride a 80 inch 1990 Evo and what I call a "Mystery  Cam" since I've never bothered to open the cam chest. For a while I thought I had a decent HD stock cam, but who knows, it's probably aftermarket but just what my "stocker" needs for the coast range hills, lotsa torque down low.  When it comes time during our rainy season I'll take a peek just to satisfy my curiosity.
I did pull up the push rod tubes and saw that the original A lifters had been replaced, saw the adjustable pushrods installed and that I have the B lifters as well.  FWIW I have some stock takeoffs from the 2011 FLHX ($50) and true duals, CV carb, shimmed needle, 48 and 170 jets.  Top end is quiet as far as I know.  Somebody dialed things in like you've dialed yours in.
All I can say is whatever is in the "chest" pulls good from down low about 1800 and up to 4500 the rpm ranges I find myself in 100% of the time whether it's slamming the freeways across Montana and Wyoming or the red roads on the map in the wide open places so sounds like you're feeling like the L is good enough for doing what you're doing.
If it works the way you want it don't f with it. :gob: someone more knowedgable about your situation will chime in soon.
1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS
Western Oregon

Offline mp

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011. 09:19:25 AM. »
I have an EV13 cam and it's very quiet, just as the stock N cam was, and performs far better, including slightly better fuel mileage.
The L cam has  nice lift, but a negative exhaust closing number.  It has very short duration and no overlap at all.   Because of its later intake closing, it does not make the low end and midrange power perhaps even the Harley N cam does, nor does it come close to the EV13 at any rpm.
It's an EPA cam and is very inefficient at moving fuel/air through your engine.   I'd guess there was something wrong with the installation of the new cam, or perhaps it was a manufacturing problem.  In any case, the EV13 is a far, far better choice than any stock cam.

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011. 09:51:23 AM. »
The Andrews EV 27 is supposed to be the noisy cam and it is! I have that in my EVO Heritage and it is noisy. I have adjustable pushrods and no matter where I adjust them, I hear the lifters.
I have never heard of the 13 being noisy.  The 13 is a good low end '2 up' cam that gives you a lot of low end torque.
The 27 has a noticeable pull about 2000rpm to about 4500. Wondering it you might have a wrongly marked cam!
Also, I believe the 'L' pulls more than the 'N' cam but is not as strong as either the 13 or the 27.     
If it uses lipstick or a dipstick, it's gonna give you trouble

Offline evo58

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011. 01:18:48 PM. »
Hi all,
if this bike were mine, i would install the 27, and just remembering the EV13 its the same on the Mikuni PAT kit,
the same numbers plus the Mikuni carb.
Evo

Offline remington007

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011. 01:34:18 PM. »
Did you switch the cam gear on the EV13 with the stock one that was on your old cam?
Installing the new cam as delivered could make noise seeing the gear could be a different size.
Ive install quite a few EV13's and never had a noisey one.

Online Dan89flstc

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011. 01:53:27 PM. »
The Andrews EV 27 is supposed to be the noisy cam and it is! I have that in my EVO Heritage and it is noisy. I have adjustable pushrods and no matter where I adjust them, I hear the lifters.

I have an EV27 in my`89 softail, and it is quiet. I didn`t use the gear that came on the cam, I used the gear from the oem cam. This cam was silent with adjustable pushrods, and when I switched back to the stock pushrods there was still no clatter.

I think what a lot of people are hearing is gear noise and attribute it to noisy lifters. A worn cam bushing in the cam cover can also cause excess gear backlash.

Offline Purple Pan Dan

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011. 03:26:08 PM. »
Yes, I used the Gear that came on the N cam. The EV13 was noisy. The "L" and "N" are quiet and the L pulls better. What can I say? Again if anyone wants it you are free to buy it and put it in your bike. I have Andrews Cams in Panheads and they are QUIET!

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 05:45:27 AM. »
I also used the cam gear from my stock 'N' cam that was in the bike. I also replaced bushing and bearing and added adjustable pushrods when I did the cam change. What I am hearing is lifter noise. Many guys here have indicated they get a lifter noise with the 27.  I just ride with it now.
I think that's the second reason for loud pipes!   
If it uses lipstick or a dipstick, it's gonna give you trouble

Offline crazylore

• Vaginaterian
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 07:03:23 AM. »
I have an EV13 cam in my "96 and its not noisey...but I also measured and installed a new red coded pinion gear...cam bearing and metal breather gear....did you check the pinion gear while you were in there?
96FLSTF       04FLSTFI 95"

Offline evo58

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 10:19:11 AM. »
i hear here ,the culprit its the lifter, the main reason on the noisy engines its the gap in the shaft, aftermarket cams are shorter than stock ones, they need a washer, usualy .055 can  be less or more , i use a old gasket ( crushed to check the gap, and ever use .010 on this gap , do it , your engine will be quiet as a stock  with N or L cam 
evo

Offline RLPOS1

• KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 10:40:42 AM. »
Would you explain this and be more specific in the process
1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger

Offline evo58

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 10:53:42 AM. »
im not an expert in english,,,, but,
first i take out the tappet guides, on the cone i ever use a used gasket( crushed), install the cam with the stock thrust washer, tight the screws at specs , from the tappet guide hole  you should take the measurement the gap,with a feeler gauge, i ever use .010 , as i have a kit with the washers all sizes, but the washer used its the 050 or 055, this will work fine on any cam, ive installed several Ev27 without noise problems,
evo 

Offline Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 11:21:24 AM. »
Yup, i installed an EV 13 along with new B Lifters in my `97 Fatboy and it rattles like a pack of Eastern Diamond backs. The increase in performance and reduction in vibration at cruising speeds is well worth putting up with the extra noise in my opinion.
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

Offline Purple Pan Dan

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 02:14:00 PM. »
i hear here ,the culprit its the lifter, the main reason on the noisy engines its the gap in the shaft, aftermarket cams are shorter than stock ones, they need a washer, usualy .055 can  be less or more , i use a old gasket ( crushed to check the gap, and ever use .010 on this gap , do it , your engine will be quiet as a stock  with N or L cam 
evo
My new cam was properly shimmed. I did not like the NOISE of the EV13 cam. It made too much lifter noise for my liking on this bike, but the "L" is silent. It ALSO now has the ORIGINAL gear that is mated to my Stock Pinion Gear. I build Indian Engines for a living and I set things up Correctly. I just do not feel that the Power Gain was worth the Noise, ESPECIALLY when the "L" feels just as good as the EV13!!

Offline evo58

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 02:39:47 PM. »
Man,
went to your site, what nice work!!!!congrats for the restoration servive, very nice....
thumbs up !!
evo

Online Reddog74usa

• "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 04:20:08 PM. »
For what your lookin for I like the V-Thunder 3010 cam. Pulls strong in the low to mid range, real nice passing and on the interstate and very quiet as the V-Thunder line of cams are known for. It's basically for a dresser but I am running one in a 94 FXLR with a Mik 42 and slip on muff's. Runs very good.  :bike:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline evo58

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 04:58:21 PM. »
well remenbered, and they say 3010  its a good mileage cam , never rode with this cam, otherwise when you go to tha performance side
, some things came out , reliable , confort  , mileage , life of engine  and noise or stay stock.
remenber a HD adversiting ยดยด ride hard OR stay home...``
Evo

Offline hogpipes1

• 49 FL Pan My 1st Bike
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011. 07:53:22 PM. »
I plan on putting a EV13 in my 85 fxrt and using stock cam gear . sense they  are press fit , not keyed .  other than marking on cams  the  timming marks , any other tips  to get it  (gear )timming   to the shaft right on the money.?   On the L cam i pulled the N out of my 95 flh and switched to the L it ran  stronger but with gear noise. this time i will change the gear as it's already mated with the others. thanks .

Offline Ajayrk

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, September 01, 2011. 07:25:44 AM. »
I use a piece of 1/4" ground tool steel with a taper on one end to in gauge the cam slot while the gear is still on.  Center the tool stock and scribe a line on both sides on the gear.  Use those scribe marks to line up to the slot on the cam.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 01, 2011. 08:10:38 PM. by Ajayrk »
AJ

Offline SnS107

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, September 01, 2011. 06:09:44 PM. »
My experiences were similar to Purple Pans'. A few years ago in a 1999 crate motor with about 1000 miles on it, I replaced the OEM 'N' cam with a VT 3010. The lifters were not loud, but the exhaust was very noticably louder, probably due to the later closing exhaust valve timing. Also, the 3010 was not that impressive as I'd hoped; a small MPG increase and a litttle more torque, but fairly breathless at 4500 RPM. I replaced the 3010 with an OEM 'L' cam and never looked back. The 'L' resulted in quieter exhaust, and pulls at least as hard as the 3010, and does so till past 5000 RPMs. Gas mileage is 42-44.

Though theorists may disagree, I agree with Purple Pans' real world experience. Gotta love those 'L' cams. If you haven't tried one you may be suprised.

Offline MaineRyder

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, September 17, 2011. 09:30:28 AM. »
Well everyone else chimed in so here's my .02's worth...I've run them all at one time or another and IMO for everyday riding and 2 up and being QUITE the EV23 is far better then the 27 and will out pull the L or N.  Sorry you had a sour experience but if your happy now that's all that counts!

Offline RLPOS1

• KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP
« Reply #22 on: Monday, September 26, 2011. 10:24:15 PM. »
I use a piece of 1/4" ground tool steel with a taper on one end to in gauge the cam slot while the gear is still on.  Center the tool stock and scribe a line on both sides on the gear.  Use those scribe marks to line up to the slot on the cam.

Here is PDF on cranes cam and cam gear install procedure.

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,41438.msg428333.html#msg428333
1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger

Offline artco1993

• A MAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS WORD
« Reply #23 on: Monday, October 31, 2011. 01:16:06 AM. »
i CHANGED FROM A STOCK CAM TO THE Ev13  AND USED THE STOCK GEAR  new lifters and it works very well after i changed to screemin eagle 10.5 to 1 pistons and 88inch valves and springs  it runs like it just wants to keep on down the hi way  and only stop for gas ..... my question is what should i advance my timing to the poop sheet pistons said to get tech support for the correct amount of advance

Offline MIKEL

« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 31, 2011. 05:34:39 AM. »
Compression you state is a little high for that cam. Do you notice any pinging?

MIKE