Author Topic: Inner primary bearing race removal  (Read 2309 times)

Offline ronster2

Inner primary bearing race removal
« on: Sunday, July 10, 2011. 10:40:46 AM. »
I just thought I'd pass this info along concerning the removal of the inner primary mainshaft bearing race. I received my race removal/installation tool from George's Garage yesterday and began using it to remove the race from the mainshaft. Although the race was coming off, it was very slow doing so, and about half way off, I noticed the main bolt on the tools was no longer moving up the threads and some of the threads were stripped. I called George at George's Garage and explained what was happening to my new tool he sold me. He told me that H-D started putting red loctite under the race when they installed it at the factory! Loctite
under the race? I when back and looked again at the mainshaft sleeve and there it was. What appeared to me to be just a discoloration of the sleeve was actually red loctite. George told me to put some heat to the race and then use the new tool he was sending me, which was covered under the lifetime warranty of his tools.

I hate to admit this, but I had no idea the race would have loctite under it. George told me it happens all the time, because no one knows this and trying to pull the race without heating it
puts a real strain on any puller.

I'm not sure when H-D started doing this, but keep this in mind if you have difficulty removing a race on your bike.

Also, my hat goes off to George at George's Garage Specialty Tools for the quick response and
replacement!

Ronster

Offline War Horse

• 99 FLHTC-U
Re: Inner primary bearing race removal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011. 10:48:28 AM. »
Thanks for the info, I hate pulling those things, and heat helps. However if George knows it happens all the time he might want to put some tech info in with the tool, just sayin , it might help with his warranty and customer frustrations..... :scratch:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Offline ronster2

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011. 10:59:30 AM. »
Yeah... he did mention that, since this is happening more often.

Offline Eglider05

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011. 03:15:45 PM. »
I don't even bother with the puller. I just cut it most of the way through with a dremel tool and give it a whack with a chisel.

Rick

Offline fatandfast00

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011. 03:43:37 PM. »
Heat it up with a heat gun. Comes off a little easier.

FatandFast00

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 10, 2011. 03:51:49 PM. »
I'm not sure when H-D started doing this, but keep this in mind if you have difficulty removing a race on your bike.

Maybe to keep the race from walking? 

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline royalstarred

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 03, 2011. 10:30:04 AM. »
Did you have to remove sprocket nut before using your tool or was there space between the nut and the bearing race?  On my 07 Road Glide there isn't any space between the sprocket nut and the bearing race.   Who are you going to buy your replacement parts from?  I don't want to buy them from HD since they only lasted 28,000 on stock motor.  Thanks

Offline hogpipes1

• 49 FL Pan My 1st Bike
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 04, 2011. 08:04:19 PM. »
Wondering why the R&R did the race still walk with loctite?