Author Topic: 2011 Street Glide issues  (Read 7298 times)

Offline pghguy

2011 Street Glide issues
« on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 10:49:45 AM. »
Hello!  First time Harley owner and first time posting!  Looks like a lot of good information can be found here! 

So...first things first...I LOVE MY STREET GLIDE!!!!!!  :up: :up: Bike fits me perfectly, size, power and comfort wise!  :bike: But, I have been having problems since day 1 and just want to see if's genuinely a problem with the bike or if I am losing what little mind I have left!  :banghead:

Got it last Monday and drove it off the lot with 22 miles on it.  Bike is damn near impossible to put into N when running.  20 minutes into ride to go somewhere, check engine light comes on and stays on.  Go to dinner, come out...again, light comes on and stays on.   Still having trouble shifting and then when I get close to home, I'm down shifting and I hear 1st gear "whining".  UGH!

Take it to the dealer the next day...long story that I won't get into...but it's discovered that the ECM is bad.  Tech fixes it, then tells me he can get the bike into N with no problems and doesn't address the "whine" from the transmission.

When I leave, transmission is easier to shift into N...not perfect, but still much better than what it was.  Friday...accessories come in and a friend of mine who has a customization shop installs everything, including the LED lights around the engine.  As we are doing that, he notices a leak around the base of the rear cylinder. 

Wipe it off, but it appears to be dry.  Have a couple of rides planned with wife and friends so I figure I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse...it doesn't.
What does get worse is the transmission.  While riding over the weekend, I put 300 miles on it, but the tranny seems unusually loud when running.  Not the shifting..because I know the shift into 1st is loud...but just the overall operation. 

Last night I'm on a ride with a group of friends and 2nd gear, 3rd gear and 4th gear appear to have a "whine" to them as well when at a low throttle cruising speed.  Additionally, when I would let off the throttle, then have to get back on it a little bit, I would hear what sounded like something metal snapping into place?  Hard to describe. 

So anyway...curious about opinions and if anyone is aware of any issues with the six speed tranny? 

Here's a picture of the bike and it has the power pak option with the 103 motor.

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
Re: 2011 Street Glide issues
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 11:52:14 AM. »
Sounds about right for an HD "Clunck Drive" (tm) tranny.  Check the oil level, then change to a heavier tranny oil when you have the first service.  Some of the whine is from the primary tensioner fer sure.

Don't worry about the cylinder bases until you've got about 1000 miles on it.. If they added the 103 kit, they may have oiled / greased the O ring on the cylinder base.. Some of that will leak out. Eventually it will stop.

Enjoy the bike..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Online Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 11:58:02 AM. »
Definitely check the tranny oil level. It's not unheard of it never got filled. Switching it to something like Redline Heavy Duty Shock will help with neutral and the noise.

I'm guessing your bike came factory as a 103?
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline Elvis

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 12:53:18 PM. »
Using a good gear lube, not SYN3 will most likely cure your gear wine. The throw out bearing was probably not adjusted at PDI which might make finding neutral difficult. Lastly, when the mc is cold give it a few minutes to warm up before roaring off. Cylinders and cases need some time to expand or leaks can happen.

Offline bigfoot5x

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 01:14:57 PM. »
I have seen most problems finding neutral related to clutch adjustment or too much fluid in the primary.The clutch has an adjustment on it (in the primary) as well as a cable adjustment. If either of those are not right the clutch drags and makes it hard to find neutral. You should be able to let out the clutch slowly (while sitting still) and feel it start to grab and pull the bike. If you never feel that point come on than the clutch is not fully disengaged when the handle is pulled all the way in. While the clutch is considered a "wet" clutch, the primary fluid is not supposed to be filled higher than the bottom of the clutch spring. If it is over filled, then the plates will drag and not fully disengage. First gear is expected to whine (or at least it used to) because they were straight cut gears. These will whine. This might not sound right to you, but my tranny noises and clunks have gradually gone away as I put a few miles on it. Lots of ideas on different fluids for the primary and tranny but Formual + as recommended by Harley works just fine for me and the 7 Harley's I have maintained in the last 11 years. I also used Syn3 for a couple of years with no problem. My philosophy is if HD will warrantee the bike using these fluids, they should be fine regardless of what people say on here. I've not had any problems with either fluid.

Don't worry about the oil seapage under the cylinder base. Most likely too much oil was put on the "o" ring when assembled. After the excess leaks off, the "leak" disappears. Not a problem but I had the same concern with my first Harley also. Now that I've taken them apart I don't worry about it.

Can't help with the check engine light though as it could be lots of different things causing that.

Offline BAKON

• Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 02:44:56 PM. »
I see you are possibly from Pittsburgh from your name. What dealer?  I have done service on bikes which have been through all the dealers around here and found the clutch not adjusted correctly more than a few times. Some poor service can be found. As far a oil weep I agree with the other posts. First gear whine too.
wasting time

Offline acbacb

• Site Supporter
  • Torque is your friend
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 03:19:05 PM. »
A salesman at the dealer said 1st & 5th gear will whine some because they are now helical gears and and this makes them stronger but adds some whining.

As far finding neutral, this same salesman said finding neutral would be hard for ~5k miles and then it would get easier.

Don't know if either are true. Just adding what I was told. Of course what does a young salesman know? Sometimes not much.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 07:34:32 PM. by acbacb »
2012 FLHX Street Glide

Offline wholehog

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 03:28:21 PM. »
I rode a 2011 Sreet Glide with 5000 miles on it as a rental bike....I also thought that N was hard to find but I wrote it off to the shifter lever positioning....maybe not...it did seem to whine in first
It is the individual that creates jobs and wealth, not the government.

Offline wurk_truk

• WTF is going on here!
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 03:43:50 PM. »
A salesman at the dealer said 1st & 5th gear will whine some because they are now helical gears and and this makes them stronger but adds some whining.

Totally backwards.  older straight cut gears 'whined' but new helical cuts don't.  Helicals are weaker, too.  1st is still a straight cut gear IIRC.  Don't ya LOVE salesmen?

Take it out and NAIL it in first and second when it is just warmed up.  Primary chain (inside the big chrome side on the left) may be loose and this should adjust it up.   My 2010 whirs a bit with the same tranny you have.  Nature of the beast.

Ride it for awhile and enjoy it AND get used to all the clunks and whirs.  It's when any of the various noises CHANGE is when you worry.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 03:48:00 PM. by wurk_truk »
Oh No!

Offline Dennis The Menace

• 2010 FLTRX - Scarlet O'Hell
  • Past Admin
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 06:36:33 PM. »
PGH, first, welcome to HTT!  Hope you find it useful.  This is the greatest HD Tech site on the planet.

Good advise given thus far.  The whine is typical of the 6-speeds, but it can seem more noticeable on the batwing fairing bikes, like yours.  The noise just seems to bounce off the big fairing, making it sound worse than it really is.  No harm being done, but a thicker trans gear oil will help quiet it down, and can also help shift smoother.  A lot of guys here use Redline, AMSOIL and Spectro...and other lesser known brands.  I stick to oils produced for HD to ensure they have teh right additives and/or viscosity that works in a HD.

The base leak is nothing to worry about, likely over lubed o-rings at assembly.  If you have it after 1-2k miles, then maybe something to look into.  No worries at this point.

Nice bike.  Ride it often and stay safe.

Offline bigfoot5x

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 07:33:17 PM. »
I also think the gear whine is more noticeable on the fairing bikes than others. Another good way to fix the gear whine is crank up the stereo.

Online Sixspeed

• Site Supporter
  • Leftcoaster
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 09:02:33 PM. »
Best way I found to get rid of those annoying sounds, ear plugs! :bike:
"The HAPPIEST people just make the Best of Everything"

Offline RK4ME

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011. 10:08:09 PM. »
I'm getting more gear whine with Formula+ in my '04 5 speed than I did with Syn3. When I rode my brother's '11 Street Glide, I noticed that the trans made more of a clank than a clunk when shifting, unlike the 6 speed in his '09 Fattie. Lastly, most wet-clutch bikes are easier to get into N while they're rolling than when they're stopped.

Offline pghguy

« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 04:43:26 AM. »
Thanks for all the replies!!  I actually took the bike back to the dealer yesterday for them to figure out what the problems are and fix it.  The leak around the rear cylinder is actually worse and I am at 922 miles on the bike.  The service manager told me he would definitely have to take the rear cylinder apart to repair it and he would look at the transmission.  I asked him about putting in a heavy duty synthetic and hopefully he remembers to do so. 

Got an 08 Electra Glide Classic as a loaner....and I can honestly say that, other than the air ride....I hate it!!  LOL  I want my SG back!!!   :bike:

Oh!!  And when I was leaving, the secretary for service came out and asked if I wanted the 1000 mile service performed while the bike was here!!!  I was like...uh...they are rebuilding the motor...how much is it going to cost??  She said I would have to be billed for 3 hours labor!!!  :wtf:  :scratch:  What is this world coming to??? 

But...love the site, thank you for the feed back and I'll keep ya'll posted!   :smile:

Offline BAKON

• Pittsburgh
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 07:05:10 AM. »
You are getting screwed. Do not pay for a service with a cylinder which needs to come off. Should have been thrown in for free when you bought the bike. They are seeing a new rider/owner and taking you. Most Pgh dealers will do the 1000 mile for free if bought new through them.
You got two or three problems already and they are charging you for a fluid change basically. Really think you need to speak up, betting the dealership is either on Rt8 or near county airport.?
wasting time

Offline Dennis The Menace

• 2010 FLTRX - Scarlet O'Hell
  • Past Admin
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 07:24:12 AM. »
The ride of an 08 and a 11 are much different, due to frame change and engine mounts.  The newer touring bikes are much smoother riding, IMO.

My dealer charges for all services unless you have a service plan (extra cost, of course).  Its 290.00 for my 2010 RG.  Its not just fluid/filter change.  They go over the bike and check and adjust anything needed, like clutch, brakes/brake fluid, wheel bearings, etc.  At least that is what they told me, and there is a list of 1,000 mile service items in the service manual that confirms what they (should) do.  Actually, I have bought 5 brand new HDs and never got a free service, so if a dealer does it free, its a good deal.  I just havent bought from one of those dealers yet.

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 08:01:04 AM. »
The ride of an 08 and a 11 are much different, due to frame change and engine mounts.  The newer touring bikes are much smoother riding, IMO.

Bet it's more the fact that the EGC has a pizza box on the back.. Newer chassised bike have more trail that makes em turn slower.. A stock EGC is pretty soft..

Max
No Collar to the Bone

Offline BAKON

• Pittsburgh
« Reply #17 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 08:09:45 AM. »
I don't know about other areas and the dealers, but Pittsburgh has a bunch in a 50 mile area. Your area might be sparse or they dont deal like around here. I have bought from a half dozen of them. All have offers the 1000 mile check for free. I don't even take it anymore, do it myself in a couple hours and know what I got it right. The one with the best service department I have never bought from because the salesmen are too dumb to make a deal. Without bashing I can say one of the worst service departments I have bought twice from.

With warranty claims, the service manager will smile. He is getting paid by the company. But the poor guy who takes it in, he's out the bike until fixed. Now he got a loaner, good deal as there are only a few that will do that. But to charge for a check over of the bike at 1000 miles, he is getting the pooch. The three fluids get changed, everything else is checked. What's that a quick look at everything. Hardest part would be two minutes pulling the plugs. His clutch will get looked at with the tranny complaint. Oil should be changed with the engine top end coming off.

Everyone got a bad dealer story. Everyone got a good dealer story. Now is the time to ask for the service to be free, not a lot of work and the dealer can take a bad story and turn it into a good story with about $50 cost to him. Maybe less.

Bike has been in a couple times already. New owner to the HD name. Don't screw the guy. Stroke him and he will come back.
I know these dealerships, each has some idiot which makes a bad customer service experience. There is also a person there who can fix it. Go bitch to the salesman, who will take to service manager, who didn't know the secretary was charging for 1000 mile service. Even if he don't take the cost off, the salesman can bitch to general manager, who offers a discount on parts or next service.

Some better dealers have given a second service for free to keep you coming back. Wife's sporty leaked from a reused gasket twice from same dealership. I would ride it back next day. Let it leak in the lot near service door, buy another quart of fluid, new gasket and replace it in the lot. Next service free.
wasting time

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #18 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 10:23:38 AM. »
Oil should be changed with the engine top end coming off.

Why??

As far as overlap goes the only overlap for rear cylinder and the 1000 mile service is the fasteners on the exhaust system.. You can argue that the full proper service is not performed but still paying for a service is paying for a service..

Max
No Collar to the Bone

Offline BAKON

• Pittsburgh
« Reply #19 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 10:57:22 AM. »
Ok, tell me you wouldn't.?.
New bike, I change oil three times before 1000 miles. I wouldn't open it up, down to the piston, looking down into the crank, without fresh stuff. But some magical way dirt wont get in yours. Sure most oil is down in pan or cam area. I just wouldn't do it.
But you have more useless posts than anyone.
wasting time

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
« Reply #20 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 12:23:15 PM. »
Ok, tell me you wouldn't.?.

Ok, I wouldn't  :teeth:

But you have more useless posts than anyone.

And thanks to you they keep rising..  :hyst:

I wouldn't open it up, down to the piston, looking down into the crank, without fresh stuff. But some magical way dirt wont get in yours. Sure most oil is down in pan or cam area. I just wouldn't do it.

Not sure why on the first part it and as far as debris goes. If you change the oil the same time you do the top end then any crap that got into the motor is still in there.. I'd change the oil and filter after 100 miles of doing the top end.. So if I were some poor guy that bought a new bike an expected the dealer to do the work and it wasn't to inconvenient to bring the bike back, I'd have them fix the oil leak and bring the bike back 100 miles later for the service.. That way they can tighten anything that might have come loose and check the bike over..

If that was too inconvenient, I'd probably do the service and repair together and expect to pay for the service.. There might be some leverage since the dealer probably installed the kit, but the loaner seems like a pretty nice option..  he was able to find out what a tuna boat an EGC is with the box on the back..

Max

+1 more useless post.
No Collar to the Bone

Offline Tre_11 FLHX

• POSER-who likes PV tuner
« Reply #21 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 12:58:40 PM. »
  :agree: thats what I do! With the oil change not the useless post.
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #22 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 09:35:30 PM. »
  :agree: thats what I do! With the oil change not the useless post.

Same here. When I did the 95" and cams I ran the the old oil for the first 100 miles then canged the oil and filter.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline wurk_truk

• WTF is going on here!
« Reply #23 on: Friday, July 08, 2011. 10:45:50 PM. »
Max is MY hero, as long as he stays over there wherever it is he stays. :hyst: :hyst:

I agree with the oil thing... I also changed crap oil after 100 miles on a new set of heads and cams.  I get what Bakon is saying, but feel its a wash with the loaner being involved...  never ever heard of THAT from any dealers around here in Bangladesh.

If the OP can get a 1000 mile service for free... why not.  Actually, isn't a PROPER 1000 mile service the one where they are supposed to take a set of torque wrenches and check every single fastener on the bike?  I cannot remember...  I did THAT one myself.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 08, 2011. 10:54:26 PM. by wurk_truk »
Oh No!

Offline pghguy

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, July 13, 2011. 05:35:08 AM. »
Sooooo....I got my bike back last night.  First thing I will say is that the shifting is MUCH improved.  Shifting is easier, quieter and can be put into neutral with no problems.  Whining appears to be gone, except for first gear.  I can live with that.  Second, bike does seem "noisier", but can't quite put my thumb on what it is, but again, I can live that. 

Anywho...my issue now comes back to the dealer!!  When they called about the bike being done, I asked if there was any money due (which I would think there wouldn't be because of the problems and the motor having to be rebuilt) and the girl tells me, yes, $275 for the 1000 mile service check.  :wtf: Needless to say, I am kinda upset about this considering I know that that the motor had to be torn down to replace the gaskets!  The GM I have been working with is on vacation till next, so I'm starting to feel like I am stuck without a bike...a bike that I am paying for and a bike that I bought 15 days ago and have only had for 9 of those days!! 

So...I ask to speak with the Operations Manager...he get's on, says he was made aware of the situation and that I won't have to pay for my bike...today.  I will have to work it out with the GM when they get back next week.  He doesn't want to see me not having my bike.  Fantastic...that's all I wanted to hear for right now. 

Get to service at the dealer and the service manager comes out and says that I have to pay for the bike or I can't have it.  He states that he talked to the owner and that the owner said to give me a 15% discount!!!!!!!!   :wtf: :wtf:  Really?   :banghead:

Needless to say...I had to pay $230 dollars for the 1000 mile service check, even though, they had the entire motor apart, all the fluids out and did God only knows what to the transmission!!  UGH!

I love my SG, but seriously...if this is the way HD is going to take care of it's customers, it's no wonder that more and more people are buying foreign.  Especially since foreign bikes of the same caliber are 1/2 the price. 

Next stop will be a call to HD and then I'll wait for the GM to come back next week to see if they will do anything for me to make this whole issue right.  If not, guess it's time to get the media involved with consumer investigating and then file a report with the BBB.