Author Topic: 2000 Road King, Screamin Eagle camplate upgrade  (Read 1867 times)

Offline 00FHHRCI

• Owensboro, KY
2000 Road King, Screamin Eagle camplate upgrade
« on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011. 06:53:59 PM. »
Greetings,

Has anyone had the Screamin Eagle cam plate, tensioners, and oil pump upgrade done to their bike?  What have the results been?  I've acquired all the parts except for the lifters to do the upgrade.  I purchased a Screamin Eagle upgrade with new SE 203 cams and inner chain already put together from a person that changed their mind about doing the upgrade.  I read the earlier post about Harley changing their lifters to a "c" revision.  I checked with my two closest dealers and both have "c"'s in stock.  I would like to install new lifters while doing this change.  I'm hoping the "c" lifters will be okay.

Thanks,

James 

Offline Max Headflow

• Site Supporter
  • Not Admin
Re: 2000 Road King, Screamin Eagle camplate upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011. 06:58:46 PM. »
Look here.

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,39409.0.html

I think I'd go with mccyles rec except they may rattle.. I've got old crane 10530s in one bike and they are very good with a 625 cam..

Max
Aka Mousinator, Another Wasted Minute With Max,
No Collar to the Bone

Offline 00FHHRCI

• Owensboro, KY
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011. 07:12:56 PM. »
Thanks for the response.  I saw where someone went to Autozone and bought part # JB2079. This is a lifter.  They are made in the U.S.A. by Melling.  I checked my local Auto Zone and they have them in stock for $9.99 each.  Is Melling a good quality lifter?

James

Offline skyguy59

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011. 07:36:13 PM. »
I'm guessing you are talking about the "hybrid Kit" where you can reuse the stock cams. I put this kit in my 88 because I wanted to keep my Crane 300. 30,000 miles later when I did the 97 inch up grade (last month) I took a peek in the cam chest and was very pleased with the results. The outer tensioner shoe showed almost no wear and the inner showed just enough you could barely feel it with a fingernail. I know there were some issues with the cam plate but I had no problems and my oil pressure is great. I used headquarter's Black Ops lifters but I really think the HD B lifters are just as good. Havent heard much about the C lifters yet. I guess time will tell.

Offline 00FHHRCI

• Owensboro, KY
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011. 07:48:51 PM. »
Greetings,

I'm glad to see you happy with the hybrid upgrade.  That's exactly why I'm considering doing the upgrade.  My cam chain tensioners were shot at approximately 32,000 miles.  I now have 60,000 and it's probably getting time to do the tensioners again.  I want to put in the hybrid upgrade now so I don't have to mess with the tensioners for a long while.

Thanks,
James

Offline python33

• Site Supporter
  • The price of freedom is eternal vigilance
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011. 09:48:41 PM. »
I did the Andrews style 07+ upgrade to my 02 RKC. Easy as could be cuz no bearings to press on/off to do the swap or if you ever go into the cam case again. Used Andrews 21N cams, "N" being for the conversion from early to late TC with .875 inner journals & 1" outer. Used HD "B" lifters that were strongly recommended here. I had the hybrid kit in my hands and returned it to "dealer" after some research. The SE hybrid kit requires you to press in bearings in the plate as well as rear cam into bearing I believe, but verify this. If you are changing cams, I suggest the Andrews conversion, just my 2ยข.

Offline smoserx1

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 08, 2011. 03:41:09 AM. »
I also did the conversion listed above with the 21N cams.  My only concern with the hybrid kit is you must reuse your silent inner chain, and in your case you will have to reuse the outer one as well.  The old chains have a real bad habit of stretching (at least mine did), but that may be due to the old spring loaded tensioners. 

If you want to get around having to reuse the old outer chain you will need this sprocket:

http://www.amazon.com/ANDREWS-SPROCKET-99-01-ROLLR-216015/dp/B000MWW2RK

If you were to decide on the full conversion with N type cams you would still need this sprocket.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 08, 2011. 03:46:29 AM. by smoserx1 »

Offline crow

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 08, 2011. 08:51:37 AM. »
I got the Herko Kit and never looked back....  Andrews 21N  very happy with them.
Knees in the Breeze is all I need........:)

Offline skyguy59

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 08, 2011. 11:56:40 AM. »
I agree completely.  if you are going to change cams definately go with the Herko kit, use the Andrews "N" cams and you dont have to worry about bearings or special tools. If you want to keep the cam you have (which I did for Nostalgia reasons since Crane went under) the hybrid kit is a viable alternative. You still have to install the cam bearings just like the original plate. the difference is the tensioners.

Offline 1wildhawg

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 09, 2011. 06:59:28 PM. »
New to the forum, learning a lot. I'm thinking about doing the Herco upgrade with the 21n cams, I have 27k on my 05 Heritage with carb, question is, how will the bigger cam affect my fuel mileage, right now I'm getting 40-46, should I stay with the stock cams? Should I change the lifters also? I don't want a really radical sounding cam that idles at 1700 rpm. Thanks in advance for the help. :scratch:

Offline smoserx1

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 09, 2011. 07:45:26 PM. »
I don't want a really radical sounding cam that idles at 1700 rpm. Thanks in advance for the help.

I got a 99 carbed bagger, and I went from a stock cam to a 203 and now to a 21n.  Nothing radical about the 21n at all, the bike just plain runs good with it.  Sort of hard to explain but some have described this cam as giving the throttle a "rheostat" quality.  All I can say is the bike is well behaved down low with lots of low end grunt with the 21 cams.  The 203s were very good too (maybe a little more power, hard to say), but not quite as well behaved at low rpm, if that makes any sense.  I had to throw in a 48 slow jet with the 203s to cure carburetor sneezing but the 21s work fine with a stock 45 jet, and I am getting about 42 mpg in warm weather.

Your call on the lifters.  27k isn't much, and the good old B lifters may be history soon.

Offline 1wildhawg

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2011. 08:19:23 AM. »
Thanks for the info, anybody else ?????