Author Topic: Evo Tappet block blocktorque  (Read 3143 times)

Offline swas

Evo Tappet block blocktorque
« on: Tuesday, April 19, 2011. 04:52:33 AM. »
Hows all,
Been trying to stop the Tappet blocks on my 91 FXR leaking for a while now,getting a bit pissed off with it tell truth,bolts are torqued to spec,no other work done its was just a case of replacing the leaking gaskets.Faces are clean,no cracks,oem gaskets cheap enough. Have just got the alignment tools but was told they aint really neccessary.Any other gaskets better?Or is this just the way it is.
Cheers

Offline derek81

Re: Evo Tappet block blocktorque
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2011. 06:31:14 AM. »
the Cometic AFM (Aluminum Foamite Composite Material) gaskets work very well, a Drag dealer can order p/n 0934-1644 for the rear and p/n 0934-1645 for the front... the dealer has to order them in packs of 10 though, so you might see if your Drag dealer has them in stock or are willing to order them for stock. retail is 95cents each

i'd also check the gasket surfaces of the blocks and the case for warpage/heat distortion or that an over-zealous mechanic didn't over do it when removing an old gasket with a power tool

Offline bobrk1

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2011. 03:37:24 PM. »
I've used the stock HD gaskets dry and no leaks make sure to torque them, you could try cometic gaskets with some sealer I've used the copper spray with good luck.

Offline BluHarley

• 1988 FLTC
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2011. 05:46:53 PM. »
Just a thought, are you sure it's not an o-ring at the bottom of the tube?  That's where mine comes from  :angry:

Offline swas

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2011. 04:52:13 PM. »
Cheers for the responses,
Ive torqued as per Harley manual, to 120 lbs/inch doesnt seem to hold them, any other torque settings?if origional Harley gaskets arnt being used,Have noticed the difference in thickness in gaskets, ive seen on another site one bloke saying up to 200 lbs/inch,thats a big difference from 90 to 120.
Replaced the tube 'o' rings not long ago,they are dry,you can see the oil comes from the tappet block itself.

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 28, 2011. 03:32:34 AM. »
You indicated you didn't use the alignment tool. But you do need to use c'sink type bolts to initially line up the blocks.  You may have warped the blocks when you tightened them.
You may want to try some black RTV high heat gasket sealer under the gasket as there is something stopping it from sealing!
If it uses lipstick or a dipstick, it's gonna give you trouble

Offline swas

« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 29, 2011. 05:36:58 PM. »
Used the alignment tools,both of them,was unsure after folk on other forums saying dont need them,wouldnt have thought the blocks could be warped so easily,jeez .In the books it says not to use any sealant but will try that.
I thought i'd cracked it the last time, noticed the gaskets oilway holes arnt oval as they are in the engine casing but are circular in the tappet block so trimmed the gaskets to match the oval of the case,supposing the oil was forcing its way under the gasket because of the lip due to circle trying to cover oval,thread lock on bolts and torqued,it was ok untill about 60 mph,then the oil was running out what seemed to be from the bolt hole areas difficult to see properly but thats where it looks to be coming from,am still surprised at the difference in thickness in gaskets,worse thing is its difficult to find a shop that carry older evo parts,consumables guess I neede to stock up.
Cheers

Offline moosemush

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 30, 2011. 05:26:08 AM. »
I wouldn't use RTV or any type of silicone as that stuff will squeeze out and get everywhere including in the oil passage and cam chest. If you have some hylomar you could try a little of that. Also keep in mind that the bolt holes go all the way through into the cam chest. Try a little thread sealant on the bolts. Perhaps the oil is forcing itself out from around the bolt heads.

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 01, 2011. 05:30:20 PM. »
Both lifter blocks are leaking?

Don`t torque over 120 inch pounds, or the bolt may get easy to turn all of a sudden...

Look closely at the crankcase to be sure there is no crack at the lifter block mounting area.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 01, 2011. 05:32:51 PM. by Dan89flstc »

Offline JBarrettB

• Site Supporter
  • Just fix it right and be done with it.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 01, 2011. 06:55:25 PM. »
This is a 91 model case. You could have a crack, too.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

Offline swas

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 08, 2011. 05:08:44 PM. »
 Whoa, what caused that crack then?I cannot see or find any cracks anywhere,I checked the lifter blocks early on for just that,this is why I thought about the difference in gasket thickness from oem to aftermarket and having heard other people saying it can just work out like that,meaning it will seal....eventually,might take 1 or more gasket changes.
 Perhaps I should just explain that "cracked it" as I said earlier means "sorted it" over here ,sorry if there was any confusion.

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 08, 2011. 05:50:41 PM. »
swas, are both lifter blocks leaking?

Offline swas

« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 09, 2011. 03:51:31 PM. »
Dan, sorry mate, seem to be,although it might look as if the rear one is leaking but could be the oil getting blown from the front one,this problem started after fitting chrome block covers and with new bolts.
The oil seems to be coming from the bolt holes,cant be sure really cos its only when riding does it leak and with the wind blowing it around its difficult to see,

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 09, 2011. 04:59:11 PM. »
Try Mooses suggestion, Hylomar on the bolt threads.

We use it on bolts that go into bearing compartments on jet engines, works great.

Offline swas

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011. 06:43:40 AM. »
Hows it going
Tried the Hylomar,thought it was looking good for while out riding,stopped to check after about 10 mile still got a leak.Same as before really.So I dont think its coming up through the bolt holes
Gonna strip it down again pay attention to the gaskets a bit better they might tell me something and re-do.Sods law!
Thanks to everyone for the replies.   
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 18, 2011. 04:26:27 PM. by swas »

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011. 05:07:56 AM. »
Swas, you may want to have another look at the lower pushrod tube 'o' ring again.  It doesn't take much to take a chunk out of the 'o' ring during assembly! 
Have you tried running the bike on a stand and see if you can find where the leak is?
If it uses lipstick or a dipstick, it's gonna give you trouble

Offline swas

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011. 04:53:51 AM. »
Greyrider,think i've found which bolt holes its coming out of,have stripped down and will reassemble the blocks,replacing all o rings aswell,tightening down a couple turns at a time on each bolt to try making sure the block meets the gasket as level as poss. Havnt tried running on a stand but will when i get it back together,good idea.
Thanks mate

Offline War Horse

• 99 FLHTC-U
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011. 05:12:00 AM. »
Just a thought here, if all else fails, try replacing the lifter blocks with the old stock ones..

If it doesnt leak then, you know what the problem is and can move on....
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Offline swas

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011. 02:06:33 PM. »
Aye War Horse,it is the origional blocks still on,it was the chrome cover ups i fitted just for a bit of a change so I could take them off if I didnt like without stripping the topend again.Big problem is finding parts here in merry old England for the older Harleys.
Cheers tho.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 22, 2011. 02:10:42 PM. by swas »

Offline War Horse

• 99 FLHTC-U
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011. 02:40:28 PM. »
Try a guy over there at Rocket Bobs, got some good connections.....

http://www.rocketbobs.biz/
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory