Author Topic: Opinions on Formula +  (Read 4614 times)

Offline mokeypoole

Opinions on Formula +
« on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 06:57:48 AM. »
So, do you guys think Formula plus is made up more of motor type oil or gear oil?  It seems strange that Harley used to sell sportster primary oil, big twin primary oil and transmission oil and now they have combined all three into one product.  To further complicate the issue they say their synthetic oil can be ran in all three holes.

Just looking for some opinions if anyone has done any research

Offline chopper

• Past Admin
Re: Opinions on Formula +
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 07:12:54 AM. »
I'm a pretty firm believer in
Engine oil for Engines.....   and Transmission fluid for Transmissions

Primaries don't matter as much. Almost anything will suffice.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Offline mokeypoole

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 09:28:57 AM. »
I don't like the idea of putting the same thing in all three holes either.  It just kinda surprises me that Harley used to push 4 different type fluids, then they went to just pushing one.  I guess the engine oil in the tranny was not working out so they switched to pushing formula plus.  Wonder how long until they go back to 3 or 4 different types of fluids. 

Offline June2017

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 10:01:23 AM. »
My opinion,...........if it's sold by Harley then don't buy it !   They are packaging the cheapest crap out there and then selling it for way to much money like it's top notch stuff.    Let the H.O.G members buy it with their 10% off.   :bike:

Offline Tsani

• Site Supporter
  • ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 12:46:02 PM. »
Nice shot. Just because someone may belong to HOG, doesn't mean they buy crap products. As a HOG member, may I suggest that you buy it. Full price plus.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 12:48:15 PM. by Tsani »
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ
ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ

Offline mayor

• Administrator
  • south-west central, Pee-Aye
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 01:38:05 PM. »
So, do you guys think Formula plus is made up more of motor type oil or gear oil?
based on my unscientific smell test...smells like mostly gear oil.  I use it in the tranny and primary, and it seems to be getting the job done for me.   :nix:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Offline harleyjt

• North MS, just south of Memphrica
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 02:42:18 PM. »
My opinion,...........if it's sold by Harley then don't buy it !   They are packaging the cheapest crap out there and then selling it for way to much money like it's top notch stuff.    Let the H.O.G members buy it with their 10% off.   :bike:

I doubt it.  Thats what Harley recommends for use in their products.  They have to stand behind the product during the warranty period.  I can assure you its not crap.  And yes, I'm a HOG member too.  Sorry you don't care for HOG, each to his own.

To the original question, I use the formula+ in the primary and like Mayor, it smells like gear oil to me.  I know a lot of guys run ATF which is probably ok in the primary as well.  My preference for the tranny is BelRay 85-140 tranny fluid.  Seems to shift a bit smoother with it than with the Formula or the previous Harley Trans fluid.  I've also used the Red Line trans fluid once and went back to BelRay.  Couldn't tell much difference one way or another and the BelRay is easier to get.  Other than the BelRay, I use HD fluids and filters.  I have a better feeling for the quality of the product coming from the OE manufacturer.  Just me.   
jt
2014 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Blackened Cayenne

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 04:11:01 PM. »
So, do you guys think Formula plus is made up more of motor type oil or gear oil?
based on my unscientific smell test...smells like mostly gear oil.  I use it in the tranny and primary, and it seems to be getting the job done for me.   :nix:

:agree:
That is what I was going to say, it smells like gear lube.
I have run darned near everything in the primary, the only lube I did not like was ATF, :scratch: which is a popular lube here. I have run 10W-40 I wanted to get rid of and once ran some 90 weight gear lube as it was all I had when I ran out of Formula+. The gear lube seemed to work as well as anything else.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 13, 2011. 08:23:23 AM. by PoorUB »
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline codyshop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 04:19:11 PM. »
I believe HD branded lubes are still Citco, a Venezualian state company.   Hugo Chavez hates the United States, so use your dollars with your conscience.   

Offline mokeypoole

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 05:49:52 PM. »
I have been using 10W40 in the primary of my big twin and synthetic gear oil in the tranny.  Everything seems to work well but I was wondering what I should put in the primary of a sportster that I could buy at a local auto parts store. They have 20W50 motorcycle rated oil and gear oil.  Just tossing it out for opinions.

I haven't bought Harley oil in a few years.  Overpriced.  I can get castrol 4t for about $3.75 a quart less than a mile from home.

Offline dirty jim

• Site Supporter
  • I'M SO AWESOME, I'M MY OWN HERO!
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 06:06:37 PM. »
MY V-ROD CAME WITH SYN-3. CHANGED TO DINO OIL, TRANNY BECAME HARD SHIFTING, BACK TO SYN-3.

THREE COMPANYS WERE IN THE RUNNING FOR MAKING SYN-3, CAN'T REMEMBER WHO THE OTHER TWO WERE, BUT MOBIL (WHO I WORKED FOR) LOST THE BID BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T PUT THEIR NAME ON IT.

Offline Bigs

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011. 08:10:30 PM. »
So far I've been using Amsoil 20W-50 in the engine and primary of both my bikes, a '06 RG and a '05 1200C stage II Sportster. The RG has over 40,000 miles and the Sportster 21,000 miles. Neither of the primary chains or the adjusters show hardly any measureable amount of wear. One of my concerns was wear of the compensator. So far so good. Also Amsoil 75-110 severe duty in the RG transmission.
   Bigs

I don't worry about the cost of the lubes as long as it will prolong the life of the motor and save $$ in the long run.