Author Topic: FXR starter stays engaged  (Read 3479 times)

Offline hbkeith

• Site Supporter
FXR starter stays engaged
« on: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 12:00:19 PM. »
88 FXR, starter works great before clutch hub is on,get everything together and starter will stay engaged,(new starter,selonoid,clutch hub). the tranny mainshaft runout is .007, should be max .003 ?,is that enough to cause this problem,thanks guys,HB

Online motorplex88

Re: FXR starter stays engaged
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 12:25:56 PM. »
I will take it you have the outer primary or some type of support for the starter shaft on. A few ideas. Low voltage, thrust washer is on the starter shaft and of proper thickness, good ground, proper gauge cables, and yes alignment or binding. Possibly misalignment of solenoid fork.

Offline xlfan

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 12:56:16 PM. »
Did this happen when clutch hub was off and on again? Or has something else been done?

xlfan

Offline hbkeith

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 03:43:35 PM. »
its been a ongoing problem,it was like this when we bought it(before and after changing hub),guy said sometimes would spin over and sometimes not,he said he even tried pull starting once to get home and would not turn over even in 4th gear.been going threw primary trying to find problem,no volt drop,cant find a short etc.also new cables with extra ground
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 06, 2011. 04:05:14 PM. by hbkeith »

Offline hbkeith

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 07, 2011. 04:32:52 AM. »
damn ,i just noticed i posted this in shovelhead,ment to put in evo, sorry

Offline Old Crow

• Site Supporter
  • N. Central Arkansas
    • Vince's Vintage Vehicles
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 07, 2011. 05:30:03 PM. »
I'm with Motorplex on this one, possible outer cover mis-alignment? 
"Pretty sure the answer is gonna be, "I am Groot!"

Online motorplex88

« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 07, 2011. 09:47:08 PM. »
Help me to understand this. The starter stays engaged into the ring gear but does not turn the engine? I see where you stated that it was being pulled to start in 4th gear and would not turn over. If that's the case the entire primary drive needs addressed. Something is locking up. Or is the starter engaging, turning the engine over, not firing up, and the starter keeps running on after the release of the start button? I can't say for certain but I don't think .007 runout would cause this in a starter/ringear situation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Bernie

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 08, 2011. 12:35:46 PM. »
88 FXR, starter works great before clutch hub is on,get everything together and starter will stay engaged,(new starter,selonoid,clutch hub). the tranny mainshaft runout is .007, should be max .003 ?,is that enough to cause this problem,thanks guys,HB
Hey i have an 88 fxr and had starter issues .. replaced starter with and all balls 1.4kw unit , solenoid and starter clutch turned out when my starter was rebuilt the brush plate was wrong causing the starter to turn in reverse took quite a lot of pondering before i found that , generally these starter systems don't give too much trouble
you could always go to a later primary and a 1990 main shaft and clutch if you cant get it fixed

Offline hbkeith

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 08, 2011. 03:30:48 PM. »
The starter stays engaged into the ring gear but does not turn the engine?                                               YES, something is locking up

Online motorplex88

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 08, 2011. 05:11:25 PM. »
Just got back from a day of wood cutting and decided to check progress. If the engine won't turn over trying to bump start it, then we can eliminate the starter all together for now. [unless it's bound up in the ring gear somehow]. I would pull the outer primary back off and bar over the engine at the crank a few revolutions and check for binding and watch for things not moving properly. At this stage it would be hard to say what the actual cause could be. Something engine related, primary chain, clutch shell bearing, trans bearings..... :scratch: There is alot sharper people than me on this site but I'll hang with ya as much as I can. I have fiddled with bikes my whole life but just as a hobby.

Offline xlfan

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 09, 2011. 05:47:37 AM. »
Do you know what kind of starter your new one is?

When you say new clutch hub, do you mean outer shell, inner hub or the complete unit? Is it stock or stock type that new one?

xlfan

Offline hbkeith

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 09, 2011. 12:40:32 PM. »
Do you know what kind of starter your new one is?

When you say new clutch hub, do you mean outer shell, inner hub or the complete unit? Is it stock or stock type that new one?

xlfan
   new inner hub (stock style), the bike locks up about 80% of the time, thats why im wandering if tranny mainshaft is moving to cause bind with drive and outer gear

Offline karlsbike

« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 21, 2011. 02:34:50 AM. »
You've got some good tips here, and I also agree that .007 run-out should not affect anything.
Sounds like an alignment issue, and you really need to SEE what's going on. So, here's what I did when I had some starter problems (on mine the jackshaft only engaged partly causing a nasty sound):
- Primary cover off, battery disconnected, pull out the shaft and try to sight how it is aligning/look for obvious issues.
- With the primary still off, take out your plugs (you could ground them to be nice to the coil), connect battery and observe what is happening when you hit the starter button.
Note: it is important that the plugs are out as the jack shaft now doesn't have outboard support.
If it is engaging/disengaging normally after several tries, I'd vote for a misalignment issue with the outboard support (it may need to be reamed or replaced & reamed).
If not, you should see what is wrong. As the starter is connected to the inner primary with two bolts you have some adjustment possibilities there as well...
Also, are you absolutely sure the jackshaft parts are mounted correctly? 
All the best,
Karl '91 FLTC/FLHR

Offline hbkeith

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 21, 2011. 05:01:36 AM. »
everything looks good when i did that

Offline otis

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011. 09:40:54 PM. »
Check to see if starter can turn the motor over without compression.  Take the spark plugs out and try to start.  Did it turn over?

If yes - starter or battery needs attention.

If no, bind or something else.

Pat

Offline czthday

• 1977 FXLR 96 evo belt drive 2000 FLHPI
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 24, 2011. 11:18:59 AM. »
Have you made sure the Jackshaft is not bent?

Offline JohnS_Rosamond

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011. 11:57:59 AM. »
When I responded to the other thread you did not say that the starter would lock up the primary drive.  I still think that the first thing you need to look at is low voltage.  When I had trouble, I could put my multi-meter on the trigger wire I was still getting a full voltage reading even though there was a massive short.  Also, if the bendix locks up the clutch basket altogether, then you should replace the bendix.

Offline hbkeith

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011. 12:23:56 PM. »
have changed everything. jackshaft dosent apear bent ,it does it even with plugs out, bikes all tore down now for paint,will be back to it in couple weeks
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 26, 2011. 12:39:55 PM. by hbkeith »