Author Topic: Inner primary removal question  (Read 3564 times)

Offline DblackmanC

• Site Supporter
Inner primary removal question
« on: Sunday, October 03, 2010. 02:13:15 PM. »
'06 Dyna, (new style 6 spd.) 60K miles. Will be removing inner primary to replace shifter shaft broken off during wreck. I'm a pretty fair wrench. Questions...
While in there I plan to inspect everything and replace Shifter shaft seal, Inner primary seal and Trans. main shaft seal.
1) Any special tools needed?
2) Any problem doing the Trans. main shaft seal without more tear down?
3) What else should I do while in there?

Thanks,
Dan
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

Offline crazybastid83

Re: Inner primary removal question
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010. 04:40:43 PM. »
Need new self sealing bolts, metal bar to lock comp and clutch while removing units. also new comp bolt.

Offline DblackmanC

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010. 04:51:43 PM. »
OK...Thanks. Anything special needed to remove pulley on Main shaft and install new seal?
Dan
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

Online bigpete1

• Site Supporter
  • support your local hmc
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010. 05:11:56 PM. »
yes you will need new style transmision pulley socket ,older 39-06 will not work on 06 dyna and newer ,thanks pete
"it's on like donkey kong" jack

Online Dan89flstc

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 03, 2010. 07:17:19 PM. »
OK...Thanks. Anything special needed to remove pulley on Main shaft and install new seal?
Dan
Pulley is not mounted on mainshaft, it is mounted on the main drive gear. The mainshaft goes through the main drive gear and into the primary, the clutch mounts onto the mainshaft.

Offline smoserx1

« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 04, 2010. 06:50:34 AM. »
Anything special needed to remove pulley on Main shaft and install new seal?

You got 4 seals in the transmission:

Shifter shaft seal
Spacer seal
5th gear-mainshaft seal, and
quad ring

At least that is what I call them.

When you refer to the trans. mainshaft seal, are you really talking about the 5th gear-mainshaft seal?  That is the one that goes between the mainshaft (input shaft) and the 5th gear (output shaft).  If I am reading between the lines correctly, you will have to remove the primary bearing inner race from the mainshaft.  This takes a special tool.  Theoretically you would not need to remove the pulley, but it makes it a lot easier.

If you replace the spacer seal, the spacer, or the quad ring, the pulley needs to go, but not the race mentioned above.  You need that big deep socket, and something to lock the pulley.  They make a pulley locker, or there is a procedure for locking the transmission.  See here:

http://harleyhog.co.uk/belt%20install%201.htm

In this tutorial the guy does it like that.

Also replace the ones in your inner primary while you have it apart.  Georges garage sells the tools you need.  if you want to save a little on the race remover, try here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Harley-Mainshaft-Bearing-Race-Tool-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5e7fc591QQitemZ130434450833QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Offline DblackmanC

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 04, 2010. 05:33:12 PM. »
Thanks Guys! And yes I was speaking incorrectly. I was talking about the 5th gear seal. I know I will do the shifter seal and Inner primary seal but if others are nice and dry any reason to chage them just because of 60K miles?
Dan
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

Offline smoserx1

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010. 02:17:59 AM. »
That is up to you.  When my bike got some 80000 miles on it the 5th gear mainshaft seal started leaking.  I replaced all the seals in the transmission and primary at that time, as well as changed the belt and both pulleys.  AT about 120000 I changed the stator.  I found on mine I could not get the rotor to come out through the primary (it is supposed to but it absolutely would not, wouldn't go through the primary when it was off the bike either), so when it came off all the seals got changed again.  I also found this time the inner race had walked a little, even though I had replaced it the first time.  Had to use a bearing separator to move it out enough to get the race remover tool on.  My bike is stock except for a 203 cam and I don't ride it hard, so race walking is not supposed to happen to me, but it did.

Offline mkd

• Site Supporter
  • tail of the dragon 2011
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010. 03:02:33 AM. »
there are actually 5 seals plus the shifter shaft seal total.the big seal that goes in the trans case behind the drive pulley,the quad seal under the spacer,the small seal between the two shafts, 2 seals in the primary case, and the shifter shaft seal. you need the 1 1/2 socket for the comp nut,the 1 3/16" socket for the clutch housing nut, the appropriate size socket for the drive pulley nut, the primary chain locking tool, the drive hub locking tool,and the inner race remover and installer tool. the seals can all be removed with no special tools.