Author Topic: Cylinder studs stripped out  (Read 1117 times)

Offline jyaz777

Cylinder studs stripped out
« on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010. 05:42:58 PM. »
I'm working on a friends 88inch S&S which blew a head gasket.  Now, the topend had been rebuilt before he bought it and hasn't been on a bike since.  Has less than 200 miles on it.  One of the cylinder studs stripped out all of the threads in the case.  We found it because that headbolt would not torque to 14lbs.  Could this be caused by the breakin, or something else?   :wtf:

Offline JohnS_Rosamond

Re: Cylinder studs stripped out
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010. 06:17:16 PM. »
Normal wear and service duty will not pull out the cyl. stud threads from the case.  Either the studs were installed in the case too tight or (more likely) the head bolts were over-tightened.  I suppose that in a rare instance something might have been wrong with the threads and they galled when the stud was installed, but not a very likely scenario.

Offline threadkiller

• Stock bikes suck, but choppers are useless.
    • My place
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 30, 2010. 07:54:19 PM. »
Some well respected engine gurus here on HTT have informed me that their personal opinion is......S&S cases are known to have problems with the pulling of studs. While I too agree with John, after having gone though a couple of case stud hole repairs myself, Time Sert makes a dedicated H-D blown stud hole solid bushing repair kit. TK.
I'm not saying I'm Superman, but no one has seen Superman & me in the same room.

Offline wfolarry

• Site Supporter
  • What's that?
    • Larry's Motorcycle & Machine Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010. 07:36:42 AM. »
Some well respected engine gurus here on HTT have informed me that their personal opinion is......S&S cases are known to have problems with the pulling of studs. While I too agree with John, after having gone though a couple of case stud hole repairs myself, Time Sert makes a dedicated H-D blown stud hole solid bushing repair kit. TK.

And that's the best way to fix it. :up: